Likes Likes:  0

Thread: National karate jujitsu union (nkju) - new leadership

Likes (received)

Default National karate jujitsu union (nkju) - new leadership

Budoka - Please see below. I was verbally appointed as the 3rd Director of NKJU on March 12, 2016. The below is a copy and paste from the actual letter. You can also view the signed letter at the following Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

NKJU was founded in 1974 by Richard P. Baillargeon, making him the 1st Director. Upon his passing, Tola Lewis became the successor and 2nd Director. In March 2016, Sensei wanted to retire and appointed me as the 3rd Director (Kaicho) of an organization that has existing for nearly 43 years.

When NKJU was created, Kaicho Baillargeon held the rank of godan or 5th level black belt. Upon passing he was hachidan or 8th level black belt in Motobu-Ha Shito-ryu Karate-Do, promoted by the late Soke Shogo Kuniba. When Sensei Lewis appointed me he held the rank of kudan or 9th level black belt. I assumed leadership at nanadan, 7th level black belt in Motobu-Ha Shito-ryu Karate-Do.

In September 2016, after 42 years in Budo and holding the 7th dan rank for roughly 15 years I was advanced to hachidan or 8th level black belt by the International Society of Okinawan/Japanese Karate-Do association.

Now that NKJU is under new leadership my newly appointed VP and I are working feverishly to rebuild membership. If you are a sensei with a dojo or a sensei seeking a new organization to call home, please feel free to reach out at 757-653-1287 or nkju.kaicho@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon. Rei - Osu!!

Steven E. Johnson, Kyoshi (Steve)

Tola E. Lewis, Jr., Hanshi Director, NKJU International

P.O. Box 1331 Elizabeth City, NC 27909

June 7", 2016

RE: SUCCESSION OF THE NATIONAL KARATE JIU JITSU UNION, INTERNATIONAL

To whom it may concern:

After almost 53 years of studying and teaching budo, it is now time for me to appoint the next Director of the National Karate Jiu Jitsu Union International (NKJUi).

As of this date and without hesitancy, that I fully support and appoint, Steven E. Johnson. Shihan, to the position ofDirector or Kaicho for the National Karate Jiu Jitsu Union International.

At the age of fourteen, Steve was my direct student from 1974 to 1991. He was promoted by me, as a beginner at white belt (10 kyu) through 4th level black belt (yondan). Subsequently being cross-ranked to yondan by Kuniba Shogo (deceased), Soke of Motobu-Ha Shito-ryu Karate-Do and Head of Seishin-Kai Karate Union. Soon after Steve's promotion, "I advised him to acquire additional training under Kuniba Soke and his upper-level yudansha, ofwhich he pursued, time allowed.

Due to military orders, Steve was assigned duties in Yokosuka, Japan, where he and his wife, Linda resided from 1997 -2003. While in Japan and after work, Steve trained with numerous sensei in the arts of Aikido, Judo, Chito-Ryu, Shorin-Ryu, Isshin-Ryu, Wado-Ryu, Shotokan, Itosu-Kai Shito-Ryu and\ Kobudo.

In 1999, Steve was tested and promoted to 5th level black belt (godan) in Motobu-Ha Shito-Ryu Karate!Do. His merYo was signed by Tatsuno Kunio, Soke (deceased) of the former Seishin-Kai Karate Union, however his sensei was Masuaki Minamide, Shihan (deceased). By authority of Tatsuno, Soke, Steve opened and operated three dojo, two of which was on a military command center and the third in the Japanese community.

While in Yokosuka, Steve served as the Vice-President and International Representative for the National Karate Kobudo Federation (NKKF) from 1999-2001, obtaining the rank of 6th level black belt (rokudan) and Shihan title from Kyoshi Bill Woodard. He later served in multiple positions for Hanshi Hugh Kelley of United Martial Arts Association International (UMAAI) and was promoted to the rank of 7th degree, nanadan.

Tola E. Lewis, Jr., Kaicho (Retired)
    National Karate Jiu Jitsu Union International
    Steven E. Johnson, Nanadan
    Motobu-Ha Shito-ryu Karate-Do
    Kaicho, National Karate Jujitsu Union
    nkju.kaicho@gmail.com
    http://facebook.com/nkju2016

Likes (received)

Hello,
    Thank you for posting your budo news. Please note that on E-Budo, duplicate threads are not permitted. We recommend choosing the forum that you think is most appropriate for your item, and place your announcement there.

Please let me know whether you prefer to keep this thread here, or in the News From Japan forum. I will remove the extra thread.

Best wishes on your new appointment!
    Cady Goldfield