Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Koshiki history in australia & its pioneers.

Likes (received)

Okay, because Masamitsu Kudaka / Hisataka is also claiming to be World Champion from the same 1989 tournament, which didn't happen. So did they both make the same mistake?
    Anyway, I was recently talking to the Koshiki referee from the 1987 tournament, who recalls Scott Brown being absolutely pummelled in the 1st round by "Mike Awad", Grant got the spelling wrong there too. And that the Koshiki divisions were a very small group.
    First place was Michel Laurin, 2nd place was Raynald Campbell

With regards to all references to AKKF, unless there is another AKKF organisation I am unaware of, I believe that Hanshi Pat McKean is and always has been the main Director and shareholder. Any tournaments claiming to be AKKF sanctioned might be in breach of using this name without his permission.

Likes (received)

Not much is know about Masamitsu Hisataka/Kudaka’s tournament record and I'd assume Masamitsu would have been a very young boy back in 1989. This forum subject takes an interest in all matters of fact regarding Koshiki history in Australia and its pioneers, noteworthy Champions, administration officials and competitors. Either way a mistake occurred with the date, and mistakes will happen on occasions.

The report received stated Scott Brown lost by 1 or 2 wazari’s and recalls the reverse punch to his jaw (pummelled) from his opponent Mike Award, and he had a sore jaw for several months after the tournament. Perhaps you should ask Pat McKean about the match as he was coaching Scott Brown from the side line to execute a foot sweep/lunge punch which proved to be successful.

Grant stated in a previous post, “Scott Brown would never claim to be the best fighter of his time, although I firmly believe, among the Karate proponents he was among the best. In fact, one of the moments in which he was guiding me before one of many competitions, he admitted to me that he used to experience so much nervousness before fighting, that he once threw up inside of his own helmet (men). It was insights like these where he would be bridge the gap between Master and student and was able to strongly identify with the emotions and feelings of his students like not many other teachers could.”

So it is a fact the Australians/Team lost at this 1987 tournament, and yes the Canadians were nearly unbeatable in the early years. None of the Australian Team including Phil Hooper, Scott Brown, Chris Kleise, Pat McKean and a few others won any world title in 1987 USA Koshiki Tournament (30 competitors from USA, Canada, Australia, Japan).

As stated by Australian Koshiki pioneer Kyoshi Jim Griffin, AKA is still the only incorporated Koshiki association in Australia. Agreed there are many karate groups in Australia using anzen bogu and koshiki rules in their competition system, however these groups are not members of the Australian Koshiki Association.

Perhaps Nigel McReaddie can assist your inquiry regarding AKKF as Nigel has had a close relationship with Masayuki Hisataka & has been the leader of Koshiki in Australia for some years along with his associates Nick King (Jinryukan), Andrew Riley (Kenkokan) & Clint Chaffey (Shoreikan).

My colleague & I are hoping to attend the Brisbane Koshiki tournament on 1st and 2nd of June at New Farm State school and make a report of the competition for this forum. Apparently it is shaping up to be a classic battle between NSW and QLD like the early days of AKA led by Team Captains Scott Brown & Phil Hooper under the leadership of Lori Vanniekerk. Good luck to all competitors, Referee’s and Judges!
    Matt White

Likes (received)

Some wonderful news just arrived. Jim Griffin from Queensland was promoted to 8th Dan and Leslie Griffin to 7th Dan on the 18th May 2019 by Hanshi Myron M. Lubitsch of the USA. Both Jim & Leslie were heavily involved in AKA (Koshiki) in Australia from its inception. Myron Hanshi run a large Shorinjiryu Karatedo dojo in New York USA. Jim is considered a pioneer of Koshiki in Australia under its founder Lori Vanniekerk. Jim in conjunction with Max Estens head the Shorinjiryu Koshinkai Karate/Anzen Bogu in Australia. Congratulations Jim & Leslie. Shorinjiryu/Koshiki at its best.
    Matt White

4. Likes desparoz liked this post
    Likes (received)

Happy to report that a new generation led Koshiki Karate tournament was held at the New Farm State School, Brisbane Australia on the 2nd June 2019. The event was hosted by Andrew Riley 6th Dan Koshiki Karate. Special guest was Masamitsu Kudaka 8th Dan Shorinjiryu Karate, the son of the WKKF Founder Masayuki Hisataka 10th Dan, and Jim Griffin 8th Dan Shorinjiryu Karate & pioneer of Koshiki in Australia was also present at the event.

On Saturday the 1st June a Koshiki Karate workshop was led by Masamitsu Kudaka to bring all competitors and officials up to date with the current rules and regulations of the Koshiki sport system.

Other officials present at the tournament were Lesley Griffin 7th Dan Shorinjiryu Karate, former World Koshiki Karate Champion & Koshiki pioneer Graeme Bowden 6th Dan Shorinjiryu Karate, Nick King 6th Dan Koshiki Karate and Scott Chaffey 6th Dan Shoreikan Karate who was also presented his 6th Dan Koshiki Karate by Masamitsu Kudaka.

Congratulations Andrew Riley for your great effort in organising the event and the success it achieved.
    Matt White

Likes (received)

On the 11 August 2019 a SUPER KARATEDO WGP koshiki seminar/tournament will be held in Okinawa. A few Australians will be attending this event and we wish them all well with training & competition. A detailed report will be submitted following the event.
    Matt White

Likes (received)

Thirteen members from around Australia were selected in the Australia Team to compete at a Koshiki Tournament at the Okinawa Prefecture Karate Do Kaikan in Okinawa yesterday. The Tournament was called the World Koshiki Contact Grand Prix organised by Masayuki Hisataka and Masamitsu Kudaka. Saturday consisted of a refereeing seminar for all senior members. Eleven countries from around the globe attended the tournament. News just in states Australia took 1st place in the men’s heavy weight division, 1st and 3rd place in the senior kata, as well as a 2nd place in a junior division kata. Congratulation to all.
    Name:  Koshiki Team Aust.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  86.0 KB
    Matt White

Likes (received)

There was some discussion on FB recently regarding WKKF (Koshiki) being a style or a competition system posted by Nigel McReddie sensei a WKKF 7th Dan. Outside the WKKF Nigel sensei is an 8th Dan Karate.

The comments touched on the past 35 years of WKKF. A number of people including former World Champion Graeme Bowden made some comments which were deleted from the forum.

Nigel sensei stated the WKKF athletes have grown exponentially in technical skills such as kata & kumite. If Nigel sensei was comparing the past champions to the present champions, I’m sure former champions will disagree with his comment.

The WKKF tournaments are much smaller these days compared with the early 80’s & 90’s. It would also be interesting to hear what the thesis research and study requirements are in a competition system such as WKKF. WKKF is not Budo.

Nigel’s comment regarding the WKKF being founded by a samurai Hisataka Masayuki is ludicrous. The era of the samurai ended in 1868 and karateka are not, and was not samurai.

We are certain the WKKF 8th Dan’s around the world would understand the difference between WKKF & traditional budo karate. Dan recognition in WKKF is not budo specific.

We’re sure there has been some misunderstanding of words regarding Nigel sensei’s post and perhaps this will be raised with him by his teachers for clarification.
    Last edited by mw17; 24th August 2019 at 07:40.
    Matt White

Likes (received)

Let's put all this in to perspective. One matter which has come to our attention over the past several months is misleading or false statements and comments. There seems to be a particular way of thought regarding Koshiki Dan recognition which need to be addressed.

Are you for example a true 5th dan in a traditional karate and/or a 7th dan in Koshiki. There is a huge difference. If you are referring to your true traditional karate style you should not use your 7th dan Koshiki grade. By doing so is a false or misleading statement or comment.

By all means use your 7th dan Koshiki recognition when on that subject. Don't appear to be a false pretender. make the necessary adjustments.
    Matt White

Likes (received)

SHORINJIRYU KENKOKAN & THE KOSHIKI TOURNAMENT SYSTEM.

Since the founding of Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo many thousands of practitioners have earned black belt degrees. All can not be listed within this brief list. Nonetheless, this list represents black belt holders of 3rd degree and above who are considered in good standing. Non-Japanese practitioners who have studied directly with the Hombu and have achieved ranking at the Hombu are also listed under “Japan” as well as their native location.

ASIA & OCEANIA

ROKUDAN RENSHI (6th Degree Red & White Belt)
    Shihan Laurence VANIKERK
    Shihan Scott BROWN
    Shihan Masaaki ENOMOTO

GODAN KENGO (5th Degree Black Belt)
    Shihan Philip HOOPER
    Shihan Shaun O’LEARY
    Shihan Pat McKEAN
    Shihan Pierre INGRASSIA
    Shihan Andrew RILEY

YONDAN KENSHI (4th Degree Black Belt)
    Shihan Richard BRAYANT
    Shihan Chris KLIESE
    Shihan Mark VANNIEKERK
    Shihan Gram BERDEN
    Shihan Nigel McREADDIE
    Shihan Nick KING
    Matt White

Likes (received)

Koshiki Karate update......congratulations to Peter Caddey of Inverell on achieving his 6th Dan Koshiki Renshi from Nick King.
    Peter wrote....

"The proudest moment of my life occurred today when this man wrapped a red and white belt around my waist.
    Thank you Kyoshi Nick King for granting me the privilege of grading to my 6th Degree Black Belt. You are an inspiration to us all.
    Thank you to Hanshi Hisataka and Hanshi Masamitsu for accepting my nomination from Kyoshi Nick to be graded to International Renshi, Roku-Dan from Japan.
    This grade has direct linage to the ancient Samurai and I am completely honoured, humbled and grateful for my grade. I will continue to support Koshiki and your family into the future. To have you with us was appreciated beyond words.
    Congratulations to everyone who graded today. It was an incredible day for the Dojo and I know you have done Kyoshi Nick and yourselves proud.
    Thank you also to Mayor Paul Harmon and his lovely wife Anna who took the time to join us for this momentous event for Inverell. To have so many students awarded international recognition is incredible and I thank you for being part of it.
    I look forward to continuing my journey on the mat and could not have a teacher with more passion, understanding, knowledge, dedication, talent and spirit than Kyoshi Nick King. It is an honour to share the mat and train with you. Inverell doesn't know how lucky it is.
    Thank you to my beautiful family for coming to watch and support me as you always do, without hesitation. I love you dearly xx"
    Matt White

12. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2