Likes Likes:  0

Thread: When and how to buy a Bogu?

Likes (received)

Default When and how to buy a Bogu?

Hello,

I have just started kendo, But I am already researching what I should be doing when the time comes to purchase my own Bogu set. I was browsing but I felt kinda lost. Is there a particular strategy to purchasing these items? I know as a beginner I should go with something simple. It might even be too early to consider this, since I'm so green. I was just curious, if there any pointers the members here could give me?

Likes (received)

You will be told when by your teacher. When you move to Bogu can vary by dojo.

There is some fine Kendo dojo in Portland. I'm sure there is a lot of experience kendoka to advise you.

A lot of my friends had good luck getting stuff from e-Bogu. I would get some odds and ends from Tozando. I got most of supplies from Lisa. I don't remember the name of Lisa's web business. (I've been out of Kendo for years) Lisa was great. She was knowledgeable, carried great stuff and was always at the annual Midwest Taikai and you could physically inspect the inventory at Taikai and check it for fit. I bet the Northwest Taikai also has vendors on site.

Enjoy your time out of bogu. You can get your kihon looking really good then when you get in Bogu it becomes like starting over again...... Everything feels like it changes.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Do you wear glasses? I do. I'm blind as a bat without them. My glasses fit inside my men. Some don't. Glasses are a pain. If you have to wear them this is something you will need to take into account.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Do you wear glasses? I do. I'm blind as a bat without them. My glasses fit inside my men. Some don't. Glasses are a pain. If you have to wear them this is something you will need to take into account.
    Okay, I will be patient.

TO answer this question, yes I wear glasses, but I was wondering, I could get away with sports glasses that form fit a bit better? Or I could just get contacts, whichever is cheaper :S

Likes (received)

Hi Jacob,
    Not really an answer. I don't do kendo, I am interested in it but not a practitioner.
    When my battalion left for Okinawa in the late 80s my CO who knew I was into karate asked if I could look into where he could learn kendo. I was temporarily assign to a base on the south of the island, he was up north (I believe Camp Hansen). Anyway in the first couple weeks I saw Dr. Gordon Warner do a demo with a couple Okinawan children. I went up to him afterwards and asked where someone could learn kendo. He said most police stations on Okinawa run free or nominal fee clubs, but equipment is expensive. He went on to tell me kote had to be handmade to my individual hands. He said that without good kote my grip would never be right and I would not make any progress. I told him it wasn't for me (meaning I was asking for someone else). He told me I shouldn't be so sure, obviously thinking I meant I had money to burn. At this point I thought it best just to say thanks for the advice without trying to clarify.
    A number of years later I e-mailed him about a picture I saw in a karate dojo I thought might be him and retold the story. He e-mail me back that good kote are more expensive than ever.
    Anyway he was a great guy, always friendly to everyone.
    Hope this gives you some ideas about equipment and if it doesn't drift the thread to far I wonder if any of the kendoka can weigh in on whether Dr. Warner views on kote were extreme or common.
    Best wishes in your training,
    Len McCoy

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Luoxiang View Post
    Hello,

I have just started kendo, But I am already researching what I should be doing when the time comes to purchase my own Bogu set. I was browsing but I felt kinda lost. Is there a particular strategy to purchasing these items? I know as a beginner I should go with something simple. It might even be too early to consider this, since I'm so green. I was just curious, if there any pointers the members here could give me?
    Although it all looks similar there are different qualities to buy. Ichibu (around 1mm distancing between stitching) is the best. Because of the closeness of the stitching its very thin and light and hard as hell. The inside padding is also excellent. It takes months of daily hard practice and the inside actually moulds to your head shape. The cheapest is of course the opposite. Wide stitching and thicker to take the impact. The other main difference is the 'Do' Laquered bamboo for expensive stuff. Fibre mould for the cheaper. Technically you should be measured for head size etc. Serious Kendoka have two sets.

So you get what you pay for. In Japan we can buy some very nicely made Korean Bogu as Budogu reps visit dojo rather then keep going to a shop.

Hope this helps. I have taught Kendo in Japan for many years. School, Uni and Police. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by hyaku; 22nd January 2017 at 12:30.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by len mccoy View Post
    Hi Jacob,
    Not really an answer. I don't do kendo, I am interested in it but not a practitioner.
    When my battalion left for Okinawa in the late 80s my CO who knew I was into karate asked if I could look into where he could learn kendo. I was temporarily assign to a base on the south of the island, he was up north (I believe Camp Hansen). Anyway in the first couple weeks I saw Dr. Gordon Warner do a demo with a couple Okinawan children. I went up to him afterwards and asked where someone could learn kendo. He said most police stations on Okinawa run free or nominal fee clubs, but equipment is expensive. He went on to tell me kote had to be handmade to my individual hands. He said that without good kote my grip would never be right and I would not make any progress. I told him it wasn't for me (meaning I was asking for someone else). He told me I shouldn't be so sure, obviously thinking I meant I had money to burn. At this point I thought it best just to say thanks for the advice without trying to clarify.
    A number of years later I e-mailed him about a picture I saw in a karate dojo I thought might be him and retold the story. He e-mail me back that good kote are more expensive than ever.
    Anyway he was a great guy, always friendly to everyone.
    Hope this gives you some ideas about equipment and if it doesn't drift the thread to far I wonder if any of the kendoka can weigh in on whether Dr. Warner views on kote were extreme or common.
    Best wishes in your training,
    Len McCoy
    Len I also knew Gordon. He showed me a copy of the original letter sent to Prime Minister Yoshida from General McArthur. It stated: All forms of Martial Arts should cease forthwith and will after examination be possibly re introduced at a later date based upon the individual merits of each art.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    I started to wear contact lenses about 12 years ago. I could never get used to wearing glasses inside the MEN.