Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hello and help needed :D

Likes (received)

Default Hello and help needed :D

First post on forum so it good to say hello

Registered here because searching for some help about bartitsu martial arts.
    Does anyone here have any information about bartitsu coaches in Nashville or near it? Or contacts to them maybe? Where to find them? There are no results in the internet, even on sport oriented sites: https://zoptamo.com - when you type bartitsu nothing will be shown. Can anyone provide any info on this topic?

Likes (received)

Hello, and welcome to E-Budo.

There are bartitsu practitioners on the East Coast. I know of one instructor in New York City, and will ask him whether there are any schools in the Nashville area.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I've just been told that a Kevin Potter recently started the Cumberland Bartitsu Academy of Tennessee. You might try a search and see if something comes up for that.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

For Bartitsu, the online starting point is http://www.bartitsu.org/ .

The Cumberland group is listed there. Their Facebook page is Cumberland Bartitsu Academy Of Tennessee.

5. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Hi Ewa,
    I am guessing you have already started looking at what is on the net about Bartitsu. I guess Joe Svinth is to modest to recommend his own ejmas.com so I will.
    For what it is worth Alfred Hutton of fencing fame worked out at the Bartisu "dojo" so his works might be worthwhile in your quest.
    I don't want to take anything away from the wonderful people who have revived this art. I find it very interesting to read about and if it wasn't for them I for one would have though it made up by Author Conan Doyle. If you can find a club you like that is great and definitely the best way to proceed but if you cannot their is no unbroken line of succession here. I see no reason you couldn't download what you can get from the net, purchase a few books and look for a local fencing club or an SCA chapter. Show them what you are interested in and see if they are willing to work with you. If you are more interested in the empty hand curriculum seek out a local judo or jujutsu club. See if they are willing to work with you on the material. The only reason I recommend outside help is for SAFETY. If what you are training in is going to work you need some level of pressure testing. When you start into a non-cooperative training you need someone to call break.
    Just my two cents worth,
    Len McCoy

Likes (received)

Len,
    I believe Conan Doyle was intrigued by bartitsu, which was a contemporary martial art founded during his time, and thought it fitting to include in "The Final Problem" as an appropriate way for Holmes to combat his mortal enemy. He changed the name slightly to "baritsu," perhaps to avoid any comparison to the real-life art or its founder.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Huge thanks for your help and advices, really appreciate that