Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Martial Arts Question

Likes (received)

Question Martial Arts Question

This is kinda a big thread and I apologize but here goes:

I am looking into joining a dojo in my town. However, I am somewhat skeptic about the instructor. He indicates that he studied under Sensei Milton Lederman (in the 1970's), who in turn studied under Yoshiteru Otani who happen to be a former Sensei and founder of the New York Budokai Dojo. Is there any way that this can be veryified? He said his martial arts started on the 1970's so this is all long before my time.

In addition to trying to verify his claim with Yoshiteru Otani can someone shine some light on who was Sensei Milton Lederman? I have tried to find information about Milton Lederman but come up with nothing other then some old Black Belt articles from the 1970's.

Some arts he said he has studied:
    1. Siho Yamabushi ryu - again not a lot of information except what he spoke about to me.
    2. Ko-sei-ryu Bu-jutsu - I never hear do of this.
    3. He also indicates he studied Okinawan Karate, Isshin-ryu Karate and Ju-jutsu under another named Sensei William K. Glunt. I can not find anything about him either.

I am trying to double check every the best I can before I get my self into a wearied situation . . .

- Thank you
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.
    - Samurai maxim

Likes (received)

What is it exactly that you are looking to learn from this guy?
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

3. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Karate or jujitsu (Siho Yamabushi ryu).
    - Samurai maxim

Likes (received)

Hi Mark,

I didn't look into Norman Beck's teachers, but a quick look at the website shows that he has fashioned his own system based on his experience, and has stated this clearly:

"In 1998, Sensei Glunt offered Sensei Beck the rank of Yodan, fourth degree black belt. Sensei Glunt expressed his opinion that Sensei Beck should develop a system comprised of the different styles that he had studied. For over a decade Sensei Beck resisted this idea but now retires his rank to form his own system, Kosei-ryu Bu-Jutsu (the art of finding the individual), based on his 45 years in the arts and 36 years of teaching."

So, you'll have to visit there with the understanding that Beck teaches his own system. There is no mention that he is licensed to issue any rank or licences of any other organizations outside his own.

Devon

6. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Devon,
    Thank you for the response. I was trying to filter through the dojos. I was hopping that maybe an older martial artiest may have here of his teachers and could shine some light on them. I looked and I can not find anything: not a book, video, article, nothing. That is what brought me here, trying to double check.

Because of where I live (in a medium sized town), I am very limited to my choices. I understand about his above statement. I am not so much worried about ranks or organizations, as I am more concerned about finding a dojo with a real martial art application and with real teacher knowledge. If that makes sense.

Thank you.
    Mark
    - Samurai maxim

Likes (received)

Looks like there's quite a lot of BJJ in Evansville, this doesn't interest you?
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

I looked into one place and they wanted $85 month with $150 down and 1 year contact.
    - Samurai maxim

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestIaidoka View Post
    I looked into one place and they wanted $85 month with $150 down and 1 year contact.
    Judging by the tone of the website of the other joint, I'd be surprised if they were much cheaper. If you're looking for cheap grappling with a real application, you should study judo. It's more practical and effective than most of the stuff advertised as "Japanese jujutsu" these days.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

11. Likes cxt liked this post