Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Katate Uchi signature

Likes (received)

Default Katate Uchi signature

Greetings.
    I hand carve Bokuto from Australian hardwoods, and recently was asked to make a Bokuto to match a war capture sword.
    Though in poor condition, it has an interesting shape, which after a bit of homework, seems to be in the style of a Katate Uchi.
    It is signed I believe by a Seki WW2 swordsmith Ido Hidetoshi.
    If any can translate or give any information from the signature, I would appreciate it.

By the way, Bokuto made in this pattern with correct balance are an amazing one handed sword.
    (No hitting the light fittings inside!)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	signature lower.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	11062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	signature upper.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	11063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sword full.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	11064

All the best!

Likes (received)

Hi Stu,
    Just curious, what makes you classify this as "katate uchi" style?

I only dabble in collecting, so can't help you out here. However, I would advise asking on either Swordforum.com's Nihonto Forum , or on the Nihonto Message Board .

Both of those places have some very experienced collectors that can translate your signature for you. Speaking of signature, the proper orientation of the signature (which would make it easiest to translate) is with the blade up, not sidewise.

Let us know what you find out!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by SamisaBokken View Post
    ...it has an interesting shape, which after a bit of homework, seems to be in the style of a Katate Uchi.
    In my admittedly limited understanding, "katate-uchi" refers to the one-handed swords typical of the late Muromachi period. Because they were meant to be used one-handed, they had shorter tangs than the one shown here.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hi Brian and Paul, sorry for the slow reply, just back from a holiday weekend.

I have followed your advice and reoriented the photos of Mei, thanks for that.
    On the subject of why I think it is in the style of Katate Uchi:
    When I first started carving Bokuto, I showed an early carving to the Sensei at the Dojo where my boys were training, and he was dismissive until I mentioned that it was a direct copy of a war capture sword.
    The Mei placement means it is to be worn blade up, so Katana style.
    He mentioned that it was an old style of sword, and from his point of view, not suitable for Iado.
    From there I went on my own search, and from what I could find, Katate Uchi was the conclusion I came to. Naturally I will stand corrected if anyone with more experience than me can offer advice.

I would add that when carved from a heavy, hard timber such as Australian Ironbark and balanced correctly, it is feels very natural and is a pleasure to use with one hand.

A quote from information which appears in a few places:
    ‘Middle Muromachi (1467-1554)
    As the mobility of troops became strategically more important, the swords got even shorter. Most swords manufactured during this period were 60-65cm long and had the same width all the length of the blade. Such blades were suitable for chopping with one hand and for quick-draw. These katana are referred to as katate-uchi. Katate means one-hand. There is no difference of width between monouchi and habakimoto, and the shape has a strong appearance. Nakago became to be short to be suitable for one-hand grip.’

I too realised the tang is a different shape than some.... oh well, it is a search in progress.
    Any more feedback would be appreciated!

Links:
    Pablo Kuntz from unique Japan sold a sword which is the same shape as the one I have copied:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_DMKMJIAlI

A pic of a similar sword and a description: http://www.shibuiswords.com/katateuchi.htm
    This sword pictured is the same as the one being discussed.

As above, probably the nicest description, the sword shown is the same shape as the one I am discussing: http://www.shibuiswords.com/hiromasa.htm

A pic and description: http://www.thesamuraiworkshop.com/un...a_te_uchi.html

I have been doing some testing of various Bokken if you would like a look:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTUqHdx-fo&t=3s

(sorry, I don't know how to do a proper link to YouTube, but if you right click the above and choose 'go to...' it will come up.)

All the best,

Stu Smith

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	101 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	11067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	signature lower.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	11068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sword full.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	11069
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	76 
ID:	11065   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	99 
ID:	11066