Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Karate (Wado) in Tuscon AZ?

Likes (received)

Default Karate (Wado) in Tuscon AZ?

We are moving to Tuscon AZ in the next few months, and I'm wondering if anyone has a dojo/school recommendation. Google Sensei has given me a plethora of possibilities... My head still aches!

I would love to find a Wado school there, but the closest seems to be Pheonix. I would like to stay in traditional karate, but I'm willing to venture into other styles. It's been forever since I've actually trained.

I'm also looking for a school that my boys can join me in. I have two elementary school age boys, both have a lot of energy. One in particular is ADHD. So, I'm looking for a school that will incorporate things beneficial for him...mindfullness techniques? Meditation?

My main limitation is physical. I have some pretty bad arthritis in my left hip.

We'll be at Davis Monthan AFB, and I'm not sure if my schedule will allow me to go to a school outside of Tucson.

I greatly appreciate any advice you might be able to give.

Thank you!
    Tim
    Tim Dahl

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim_dahl View Post
    ...I would like to stay in traditional karate...
    I think that's wise. There are a lot of "eclectic" schools out there, many of which are taught by self-proclaimed "masters." With traditional karate there is a lineage that can be checked to verify the validity of a sensei's credentials.

I'm not aware of a Wado-ryu dojo in Tucson (nor Shito-ryu, my old style), but there is a Shotokan dojo there. Since Wado-ryu was derived in part from Shotokan (Ōtsuka Hironori Sensei having studied under Funakoshi Gichin Sensei), you might find, even after "forever" since you last practiced, that there's something familiar to ground you.

Here's a link: http://tucsoniskfshotokankarate.com/
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

3. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

I've done Karate, particularly Goju Ryu for a really long time ..... but I'm not married to systems. When I located to other areas I would tend to seek out the best teachers regardless of style. I've haven't been to Tuscon in 20 years but based on my very old and possibly out of date knowledge I would seek out a Wing Chun group. Mr. Fong used to have a strong group of Wing Chun guys.

And if Wing Chun isn't something you want to do for the long haul exposure to Wing Chun hands will give you some really great options and perspectives on defense and breaking down hand defenses.

My goto art for young boys is Judo. BJJ is good also but Judo is usually less commercial and more affordable. My experience with raising and teaching kids is tactile activity works better than Zazen. But with your hip that may not be so great. I would look up Mr. Augustine Fong.
    Last edited by CEB; 10th May 2017 at 17:18.
    Ed Boyd

5. Likes cxt liked this post