Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Do you use Shoes?

Likes (received)

Default Do you use Shoes?

Hello everyone, thank you to the mods for accepting my account. Love that I can talk about martial arts with people online without having to be on 4chan or Reddit. I was talking with a couple sparing partners of mine (we have all trained in different arts previously) and we got onto the topic of wearing shoes when you spar. When I was practicing Karate I wore shoes for every sparring match, but there were quite a few people in my dojo at the time who did not like them. What are the opinions of the rest of the members on here? Is there certain disciplines you would wear shoes for but others that you wouldn't, and how strict are you on that rule and why? Also wondering what shoes people use, as I have seen some from companies like Adidas and Nike that are for multiple disciplines. Looking forward to seeing your replies

Likes (received)

Most of the member here, as am I, are traditional Japanese arts practitioners. Traditionally, one wore footwear when out of doors, but not indoors...and a karate dojo is usually indoors. Even in Okinawa, barefoot was the norm for karate practitioners.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Okay, thanks for the input Brian. I will try to keep that in mind moving forward. Hoping that my lack of knowledge has not offended anyone on here

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRonin View Post
    Hello everyone, thank you to the mods for accepting my account. Love that I can talk about martial arts with people online without having to be on 4chan or Reddit. I was talking with a couple sparing partners of mine (we have all trained in different arts previously) and we got onto the topic of wearing shoes when you spar. When I was practicing Karate I wore shoes for every sparring match, but there were quite a few people in my dojo at the time who did not like them. What are the opinions of the rest of the members on here? Is there certain disciplines you would wear shoes (I keep hearing about karate shoes) for but others that you wouldn't, and how strict are you on that rule and why? Also wondering what shoes people use, as I have seen some from companies like Adidas and Nike that are for multiple disciplines. Looking forward to seeing your replies
    As I wanted to embrace culture and tradition more with my art, I did get a pair of karate shoes that I now wear when sparring outdoors. Thank you again for the insight Brian, and thanks to everyone on here for being patient and understanding.

Likes (received)

Hi Dalia,
    What exactly are karate shoes? I seen picture of Funakoshi Sensei training outside in geta, and my kempo teacher had us wear tennis shoes but I am not familiar with karate shoes.
    Traditions well that varies The gi, ryu, kyu dan ranking and dojo are all late 1800s early 1900s transfers from mainland Japan but almost evryone on Okinawa uses them today.
    Then again when we say traditional anything in any culture the question is how far back do you go?
    Anyway good luck with your training,
    Len McCoy

Likes (received)

Hello,

Never having practiced karate, I have never come across karate shoes. In all the years I have practiced aikido, I have never worn footwear in the dojo -- except for one time when I had athlete's foot, and then wore traditional cloth tabi. Outside, zori or geta, were normal footwear and wearing these required developing some skill, which was also good for massaging the feet.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

7. Likes Brian Owens liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by len mccoy View Post
    What exactly are karate shoes?
    It's marketing hype for modern athletic shoes aimed at "kurrody players." ;-)

Here are some examples: https://blackbeltshop.us/collections...ories-footwear
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I too wear a karate (Taekwondo) shoe (www.tigerclaw.com) on occasion due to a severe case of plantar fasciitis. I have special insoles for my shoes that I can slip into them. When I do wear them, the are only worn on the mat, never off, to keep the mats from getting dirty and scoffed up.
    Steven Miranda
    Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento
    http://www.seikeikan.com

Likes (received)

Thanks for sharing this information as I am new here, It is my pleasure to be here .
    [TABLE="width: 64"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 64"][URL="http://www.couponado.com/"]Couponado.com[/URL][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]