Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Long Time.... Current State of E-Budo Today

Likes (received)

Cady

"institutional memory"

Very well put.

Hadn't thought of it that way before.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Institutional memory is something often undervalued by new generations, until an issue comes up that requires some historical perspective, someone asks, "I wonder how it was back when...," and nobody knows the answer.
    Cady Goldfield

3. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Maybe the best way to jog a memory is for a question to be asked.

5. Likes Cady Goldfield, cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

If it's a little "ghosty" here, just start a promote of this place. Don't wait for more "ghosty". It's so simple. Regards.
    The one who seeks, is the one who find. MatyJudo.pl

7. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

'What happened⁉️⁉️' is always an interesting question. I come at it from a judo viewpoint.

I think a combination:
    •Greatly increased alternatives to judo and other Japanese martial arts.
    •!Proliferation of Korean 'McDojos' complete with turnkey franchises, BJJ of a number of stripes but near instant engagement, versus substantial investments in time and effort in judo tachiwaza (standing techniques) to be able to compete safely and effectively.
    •Greatly increased alternatives in social media and instant news coverage of events.
    •!Tons of free and pirated videos showing graphically what might have taken scads of messages to explain in world.
    Scads of pirated instructional and amateur videos of the masters in action, so who needs an explanation?
    • Greatly increased information regarding the history of martial arts - still with errors but much more accessible than even 10 years ago.
    •Great historic research and contributions by folks like Aiki News contributors and Professor Goldsbury - really, what is left to explore in aikido has to be of interest only to a handful of folks.
    •etc
    Lance Gatling ガトリング
    Tokyo 東京

Long as we're making up titles, call me 'The Duke of Earl'

9. Likes cxt, Cady Goldfield, pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

Lance

Good observations.

IMO, and no offense to the TKD folks. Seriously.

The explosion of TKD classes aimed specifically at children changed the perception of the martial arts in general. Essentially they poisoned the well, in business terms.

So interest dropped off.

Also when E-budo started there were very few places where one could get specific information. Now almost every style and most individual schools have a website. So the need seems to be less.

Which also goes to what was essentially a form of quality control--back in the day one of the most active sections was the Bad Budo etc. sections where people could check the claims of frauds and fakes with informed people. Again, with all the resources available the need for that sort of thing is much less, thank goodness its much harder to rip people off these days.

There is also a pattern, a "season" if you will to MA study. It went through a boom in the "Bruce Lee" era--so to speak, then a sort of bust period, then another boom, we are now in what seems to be a bust period. It will likely turn around at some point. Or Bulls and Bears if you prefer.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

Likes (received)

Yes, general discussion boards like this one have become obsolete. Their heyday was in the 90s and early 00s with the advent of the user-friendly interface that got us away from e-mail list serves (remember Aikido-L, Jujutsu-L, Iaido-L, etc.? Actually, they all still exist, floating in the ethers, but no one really communicates on them anymore, except for Iaido-L, which sends out an occasional digest e-mail).

We remain here to keep the archives available and to answer questions for newcomers and seekers who find us. Occasionally, there are interesting bits of news, or a discovery of some piece of history from one of the arts, and we do get some activity. It's nice to at least have a place to put such things for posterity.
    Cady Goldfield

12. Likes cxt, pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

Well said!
    Chris Thomas

Likes (received)

There's another readon I know -some serious researchers have gotten burned by the hard work being misappropriated, taken and used without due credit. I know one very knowledgeable researcher who went to the extent of erasing his old posts on a judo forum to the extent possible.

I myself found some of my research used without credit by someone to write a quick and dirty judo history book. I know it was mine because
    a) the wording was unique to me
    b) it was factually wrong, as I found out later.

As I pointed out regarding Professor Goldsbury and others' research of aikido history, by now every single thing they find is very likely both unique and so narrow as to be of interest only to a small number of folks, but of interest to any 'competing ' researchers.

As my research has broadened and deepened, I made a conscious decision not to share much of it. So, it's back to writing a book, to see if anyone's interested enough to pay a bit for it.

Lance Gatling
    Embassy Judo
    Facebook www.facebook.com/usejc
    Lance Gatling ガトリング
    Tokyo 東京

Long as we're making up titles, call me 'The Duke of Earl'

15. Likes cxt, Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Interesting and sadly quite true.

Different field but I have had what amounts to intellectual property if not quite "stolen" then used without my knowledge, permission or attribution.

Kinda gives one a different POV on more reasons why the "old masters" kept so many things to themselves.
    Chris Thomas

17. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Hello,

Publishing books does not prevent certain folks to “use” the published research on their own. In my case, for example, I translated and analysed some old Japanese karate texts and published them in German. Some guy “borrowed” my work for his English publications (which contain catastrophic own translations attempts – well, actually “translation” is the wrong word) by clearly using my German translations as foundation for his English version and “coincidently” presenting my previous analysis even claiming that he himself is presenting the “sensation” for the first time ever.

Regards,

Henning Wittwer

19. Likes Cady Goldfield, cxt liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2