Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Too old? Local clubs?

Likes (received)

Default Too old? Local clubs?

Hi

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to start a martial art class in around South West Birmingham (Halesowen), I hope you wouldn't mind helping me make a decision. At the moment I'm considering Judo but I am procrastinating somewhat.

I'm in my mid thirties and so I'm no spring chicken. I'm attracted to Judo because of it's simplicity, effectiveness, while retaining somewhat of a traditional martial art form. However, I do have concerns, a lot of Judo clubs seem to be geared towards teaching of children and young adults. I've also read that Judo is very hard on the body and I would like to start a martial art I can continue to train into my older years, if possible.

Is Judo a decent martial art for someone to start at my age and can you recommend any clubs around my area? Thansks for any help!

Likes (received)

Default Oops

Sorry, I should have been clear, I'm in the UK! Thanks

Likes (received)

I have no idea about the club, but here's a potential starting point. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TGJudo

Likes (received)

I came to Judo at 31 and found it tough...I'm 32 still find it tough. It's hard on the body it's hard on the mind it's hard on everything.

It is simple for sure but doing the simplist of moves will take years to master, I was amazed how hard it actually is, I've done a few things and knew how to do a hip throw well enough however when the opponant is moving and resisting you're into another league.

It's great though and well worth the effort, there are people in the UK master in their 80's still going strong!

Now, yes you'll find tonnes of clubs for kids, it's where the money is. Locally here there are 5 brilliant clubs only 1 of those has a half decent mat with adults, and they're 90% black belts so you get thrown....ALOT. Depends what's local to you really. There's less "martial art" about it than you might think though. It's a sport more than anything however you can take the martial art from it if you look for it. Again, depends on the clubs near you.

BJA is the governing body, biggest organisation about in the UK. You'll end up here in all reality.
    BJC is more traditional and grading is tougher but it's a smaller organisation and doesn't seem to produce players that are as competitive as the BJA, not sure why though.
    lot's of other smaller associations though. If you want traditional try to find a club that teaches Kata, JUDO KATA IS AWESOME!! hard to find but worth it

Likes (received)

Judo was created by the founder (Jigoro Kano) as a form of physical education. It was designed for all ages .. children to elderly. I am 60 and still going to the club. I don't work out the way I did when I was 20 but I am still enjoying judo. Yeah my body doesn't move the way I want it to . but at our club we get individuals starting out in their 30s and 40s. Can it be hard on the body .. yes especially if you don't learn your ukemi (breakfalls) properly. Judo is a lot of fun especially when you and your partner look out for each other .. learning techniques and not trying to one up each other. It is meant as a partner activity not a solo hero event. Find a club with a range of ages there are some. Our club here in the North East US has children on up to judoka in their 60's. Is it as showy or as popular as karate or Brazilian Ju Jitsu?.. No but it is designed to be an activity you can take up and continue into your declining years. The US naval academy has an instructor who is 84 and still gets out on the mat with his students. If you want to learn Judo .. go for it .. and enjoy. Remember you don't have to be a competitor nor train like one. (that's where it's most brutal).

Norman Menard
    Kuma Judo

Likes (received)

I haven't logged on for a while and I realize this is an old thread, but I started at 42 in Japan. It's been challenging, but great. Though I won't lie I spend a bit of time with ice-packs after randori! We have Yudansha that range from about 16 to 60 all doing randori regularly at my dojo. I hope the original poster started and is having a great time!

Jeremy Frank
    Takagi Dojo

7. Likes Cady Goldfield, cxt liked this post