Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Toshiro Mifune

Likes (received)

Default Toshiro Mifune

As a recent big fan of Akira Kurosawa's films, I am curious about Mifume himself as most bio about him that I read is short, In japanese ( I can't read japanese...) and mostly about his film not his life.

One thing that fascinate me is that some his beginning into films is pretty much a movie in it self. I wonder if the The clerk who made the error on putting his application into the "audition file" instead of job application basket ever realized what he/she just done.

With all the samurai films that Toshiro Mifune played, did he ever had any formal training in swords or in martial arts in general besides the military ?. I wonder if there is a movie based upon Mifune's life.

Thanks...

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by dimaria View Post

With all the samurai films that Toshiro Mifune played, did he ever had any formal training in swords or in martial arts in general besides the military ?. I wonder if there is a movie based upon Mifune's life.

Thanks...
    Not formal training, but Kurosawa brought in Sugino Sensei of the Katori Shinto ryu as swordsmanship advisor for several films, beginning with Seven Samurai.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by dimaria View Post
    ...With all the samurai films that Toshiro Mifune played, did he ever had any formal training in swords or in martial arts in general...
    I don't have my notes or reference citations handy, but from memory I recall that he spent considerable time training with Sugino Sensei in Sugino-ha Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu (Sugino being the main sword-fight coordinator for his classic samurai films), and he also trained in Kendo and ZNKR Iaido. If I recall, he was ranked nanadan (7th degree) in Kendo. Along with Takakura Ken, he was considered one of the most-skilled swordsmen in Japanese films.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

5. Likes hyaku liked this post
    Likes (received)

Nothing to really contribuate to the thread, but anyway. I read some years ago on wikipedia that Mifune was born in Yantai-Shandong province(China)but soon after the family moved to Dalian-Liaoning province where the young Mifune grew up, he left for Japan when he was 18(i think it was).
    While in dalian his fathere had a camera shop(so Toshiro was probably trained in handling such equipment)

Since i lived in Dalian when i read about this i found it quite interesting. There are lots of old japanese housing/villa blocks still around in Dalian, however the one such that was in the area where i lived has been demolished now. One of those villas had a store front on its ground floor and behind the big window where a couple of old dusty looking cameras just lying around, the house was never open it actually seemed abandoned.
    Anyway i often thought that that was maybe the Mifune place

7. Likes Cady Goldfield, elder999, hyaku liked this post