Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chinte

Likes (received)

Default Chinte

Good evening,

I am looking for more information on the Okinawan chinte. In his book Unante, the Secrets of Karate, John Sells describes the chinte as wooden stakes strapped to the forearms and used alternatively as armor or weapons. He also mentions that Uhugushiku, the late Seiyu Oyata's weapons teacher, taught this weapon. Does anyone have any other information about this weapon? Is there anyone teaching this weapon and, if so, are there any solo forms (kata) used in conjunction with this weapon? This is not for publication but for personal interest. Any information would be appreciated. thanks.
    Michael Martin

Likes (received)

Wish I could help.

But I have only seen the references you mention.

Didn't want you to think your question was going unread.

They always sounded to me a bit like "field expedient weapons."
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Sid Campbell wrote an article on the weapon in the Dec 1985 issue of Blackbelt magazine. You can get it for free on googlebooks. I made a bamboo pair. There also is a Shotokan kata by the same name (one with the three hops backwards). I am fairly sure the kata and the weapon are unrelated. I made a pair out of bamboo, but never used them much. Other than having the hand free to grab I think they are a lot like tonfa in usage.
    Good luck,
    Len McCoy

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by len mccoy View Post
    ...There also is a Shotokan kata by the same name... I am fairly sure the kata and the weapon are unrelated.
    Chinte Kata is also in the curriculum of Shito Ryu, although it's performed a bit differently than the JKA standard. (No hopping at the end, for one thing.)
    See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuvBapRnndI
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

They are discussed in Sid Campbell's book Weapons of Okinawa (1897).

According to this book, they were used in pairs, made from bamboo or oak, had holes drilled at each end to facilitate a hemp or leather thong, strapped to the forearm and extended six inches beyond the hand and several inches behind the elbow. The diameter was large enough to protect the entire forearm. Some variations were sharpened to a point for stabbing.
    Liam Cognet