Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Any builders about??

Likes (received)

Default Any builders about??

HI all,

my partner and I are soon to be moving into our new home which luckily enough is on a large plot.

this will allow me to realise a bit of a dream of having a home dojo/gym. I'd like to go fairly large to allow me to have friends over to train.

So, current plans with all the gear in place would be around 25' x 50'

I wondered what would be the best way to look to construct this?
    steel prefabs seem good but really tall, i'm not looking to put motoring lifts in or anything like that, perhaps a training sword above your head and room to throw someone over your shoulder but other than that it just needs to be an open box really.

Very early into planning - litterally just a "i've got room, wonder how much that would cost"

This size will give me a 6m x 6m matted area, room to stick gym equipment and room to possibly put a toilet.

any help would be great - of course the dream would be a japanese tea room style building but I think that would go to crazy costs!

down the line I may look to lease the building to other local clubs as there isn't alot about really and there are lots of clubs looking for this size of building but that's a long way down the road and possibly not even worth the hassle.

So anyway - Timber? single skin block? Brick? Butttons?!?

Likes (received)

I would stay away from brick; post-and-beam construction seems good, either metal or wood. If you're going to possibly lease the space to other groups, I'd go for as much height as possible within reason; a karate group may want to do overhead strikes with a rokushakubo, for example.

Best of luck, and I'd love to see some photos of your place when it gets built.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

3. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Hudson

I'm making some assumptions, so forgive anything you have already planned for or have already thought through.

I'm sure you have thought about it---but if you plan on hanging any heavy bags, you need to make sure the beams will take the weight/stress over time.

I only mention it b/c you mention pre-fab steel, and some of those that I have seen use ridged interior sections, not well supported beams.

Depends of course what exactly you are looking at.

In terms of toilet, how close is the dojo going to be to the house and how ok are you with people tramping from the dojo and back? Would it need its own septic system or can you easily connect it to the houses system?

Depending on who you might want to lease the building to the "matted section" might have to be able to rolled up for those that need hardwood.

Concrete block is common in many places.

I'd go with whatever is cheap and sturdy and goes up quickly. But I'm a minimalist at heart and a stark, industrial "look" is ok with me.

If you get a chance I'd love to see some pictures of what it eventually looks like.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

well I'd gotton some quotes etc. and low and behold the seller has decided not to move! so house move is off the cards.... back to the drawing board!

we've been looking at new builds, stick to a bloody double garage. hasn't been a nice couple of weeks

Likes (received)

and we're back on

tomorrow we do finally move into our new property - not the one above but still has it's possibilities.

The layout is pretty strage but in that strangeness is the possibility of a new building 7m x 5m (well just under that, closer perhaps to 6x4) but that should be enough for a decent matted area.

SO once we get in and settled let the project begin