Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Budo and the Aging Budoka

Likes (received)

Default Budo and the Aging Budoka

So I had a milestone birthday last month, and the conversations surrounding that got me thinking about how my journey on the budo path has changed over the years, and how I have adapted to the requirements of doing budo. This lead me to write a blog post about it at
    http://budobum.blogspot.com/2017/09/...ng-budoka.html

My question is, how has your practice changed over the decades? What do you do differently now? Do you consciously limit yourself? How do you handle training as your body ages but your spirit doesn't?
    Peter Boylan
    Mugendo Budogu LLC
    Fine Budo Books, Videos, Clothes and Equipment Direct from Japan
    http://www.budogu.com

Find my Budo Blog at http://budobum.blogspot.com/

2. Likes Grimlock liked this post
    Likes (received)

One of the good things with having done my current style for the last 23 years is that generally I know what is about to happen and can adjust my body to take the throw or minimize the effect on me (ease the throw or joint lock but not resist my partner).

I take more breaks now and get a drink of water when needed. My instructor has done our art for over 50 years so it is easier to do these things since he does them too now that he is much older then when I started. Take the time to take care of yourself and remember that you ARE older but it doesn't mean you have to stop. Just learn your limitations!

Here's to many more years of training!
    Robert Cheshire
    Yoseikan Teacher
    www.yoseikanbudo.us
    www.fagri-igraf.org/

4. Likes pboylan, Cady Goldfield, hyaku, pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

Few wasted movements now. An excellent sense of timing and ma-ai. Some things you learn only come with age. No limits, train until you drop (you drop quicker).

My seiza is better than ever before. Just need two guys to pull me up! Once on my feet I'm untouchable.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

6. Likes pboylan, pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

Milestone for me this year as well. I find I pay much more attention to posture as it saves on wear and tear, especially in grappling with the younger set.

8. Likes pboylan liked this post
    Likes (received)

I wish I had taken more care in my younger days. Now I am having to get things fixed. Reattached ligaments in the right shoulder, and will have to do the left once this one is healed all the way. Going to have to eventually do the knees also.

As my Mom used to say ... getting old is not for sissies, but it certainly beats the alternative!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

10. Likes pboylan liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith View Post
    I wish I had taken more care in my younger days. Now I am having to get things fixed. Reattached ligaments in the right shoulder, and will have to do the left once this one is healed all the way. Going to have to eventually do the knees also.

As my Mom used to say ... getting old is not for sissies, but it certainly beats the alternative!
    Hello Paul,

I came to aikido relatively late, around 25, unlike some of my younger students. We have some whole families training here, but especially fathers and sons -- and the latters' younger brothers, down to the age of six or seven. However, all my injuries were caused by dojo accidents, not by simple wear and tear. I am still training, but mainly teaching and there are certain things I no longer do now, like taking break-falls. I second Colin H's sentiment that some things you learn only come with age.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

I'm paying more attention to flexibility and joint mobility, as I'm realizing how important it is. For instance, if I have knee or hip pain I'm looking first to tight quads or core muscles. The foam roller is my friend.

I've also realized that I need more than budo to maintain my fitness for budo. So I began running several years ago, mostly trail running--fairly short distances and quasi-barefoot, so I'm not pounding my joints. I added a kettlebell routine this year and was surprised at how much restriction was revealed in my "good" shoulder (resolved now). Being a woman of a certain age, I also have to keep bone density in mind and both those activities help with that.

Having said all that, I'm recovering from a pair of injuries suffered earlier this year--the second of which occurred I think as a result of over-stretching while recovering from the first. I have yet to learn when to ease off to avoid making things worse.
    Beth's Buki
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

13. Likes pgsmith liked this post