Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Robey Reed Sensei -- 2/1/33 - 9/9/17

Likes (received)

Default Robey Reed Sensei -- 2/1/33 - 9/9/17

From the Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Washington

Robey R. REED (1933 - 2017)

Sensei Reed, a national and international judo and karate figure, passed away on September 9, 2017.

Robey was born to Lillie and Callie Reed on February 1, 1933. He attended two years of college in Texas, and served in the United States Air Force. He served in the Korean and Vietnam wars. He was instrumental in starting the Survival School at Fairchild Air Force Base, and was an instructor until his retirement from the USAF in 1971.

He obtained many honors and awards, including 8th Dan in both judo and karate; US Air Force Judo Champion; US Martial Arts Hall of Fame Grandmaster of the Year; Lifetime Achievement Award from United States Judo Association; Meritorious Service, International Judo and Jujitsu Academy Hall of Heroes; and many others.

He is survived by five children. He taught many children and adults though his dojos and summer camps in the Inland Pacific Northwest. He reached out to low income families and offered free classes and equipment if the child was associated with the Boys and Girls Club of America. He taught Defensive Tactics at the Spokane Police Academy for years.

Robey lived a remarkable life and made a difference in so many other's lives. He will be missed.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Thanks I had not heard.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Sad to see an old friend of 55 years pass on. R.I.P. Robey.

4. Likes David Gorden liked this post
    Likes (received)

Cool Roby Reed passing.

My heartfelt condolences to you Jeff. Please forward mine to Mrs. Reed. I know how close you were to Robey. I did not have the privilege of knowing or meeting him.

I have not been much of a member of E-Budo. When we lost Mark Feigenbaum, it pretty much let the air out of the balloon for me. I didn't know Mark personally either, but felt a closeness. I remember mentioning my beginnings in judo and a young fella said it was impossible for me to become a Shodan as fast as I did; plus, I mentioned some of my tricks prior to shai. All BS of course, but the fellow reacted just as I figured he would and Mark saw my BS just as BS and attempted to straighten the kid out. It is fun to be a trouble maker.
    Dave Gorden "If wishes were horses, all beggars would ride".---Frank Osten

Likes (received)

Too bad you were at Kadena a few years after Robey left there. He was a funny guy and one of our best Judoka dude. He left Kadena sometime in 1961 but not before our club and their club became close. He transferred to Tachikawa and we would meet with his gang up there during 5th Air Force tournaments. Like many of us Judoka in those years we would get together at times and have a great time BS'ing. It really doesn't matter if it is called BS or not as long as one had fun and learns from it. We lived Judo for much of our lives. That is all one could ask for.

I too miss Mark, even though we never met he was a real friend here. I felt like we were friends I real life.

Likes (received)

Dave, sometimes I hate thinking about all the friends and relatives in my life that are long gone. My late 98 year-old grandmother once told me the worst part of growing so old is losing everyone around her. She had a point. How many Judo people have we known in our life that are long gone? Guess it is part of being 77 years old, huh?