Likes Likes:  0

Thread: R.I.P. John P. Cornish (1928 - 2018)

Likes (received)

Default R.I.P. John P. Cornish (1928 - 2018)

It is with much sadness that I inform the judo and aikido community of the death, on Wednesday 11 April 2018, of John Cornish. He was 89 years old.

John was a senior British judoka (BJA 7th dan) and aikidoka (8th dan). He studied judo from 1952 at the London Budokwai under the celebrated British judoka, author, broadcaster and scholar Trevor (T.P.) Leggett (1914~2000) BJA 7th dan, Kodokan 6th dan. From 1958 to 1964 he practiced both systems in Japan – specifically, judo at the Kodokan as a member of the Kenshusei [Research Student] class, and aikido and the Hombu [Headquarters] dojo. In particular, he studied Kodokan Goshin-jutsu as a direct student of Kenji Tomiki. After his return to the UK, he taught both judo and aikido at the Budokwai until his retirement in 2010.

In the early 1980s he published a booklet entitled “Go-Shin-Jutsu – Judo Self Defence Kata”, which is still one of the most technically detailed written resource on Kodokan Goshin-jutsu available in the English language.

May he rest well.
    Dr Llyr C Jones (ジョーンズ)

Likes (received)

Before I came to Japan, I used to visit the Budokwai to train in aikido. It was a long trip, for I lived in Brighton and had to change trains in London to get to Fulham. The late Kazuo Chiba also taught aikido in London, but my (Japanese) teacher recommended Mr Cornish's dojo instead. Mr Cornish always cautioned me against going to Chiba Shinan, but I went anyway.

R.I.P.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Dr Llyr C Jones (ジョーンズ)

Likes (received)

Special tribute edition of the Kano Society Bulletin produced in memory of John Cornish (28 December 1928 - 11 April 2018).

http://www.kanosociety.org/…/pdf%20b...ulletinx35.pdf
    Dr Llyr C Jones (ジョーンズ)