Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hip/Groin pain

Likes (received)

Default Hip/Groin pain

So, after 7 months of absolutely zero training i'm back in action and by god am I feeling it!!!

I'd moved, changed jobs (so I can actually have a life!) and planning a wedding, all kept me off the mat.

I've joined a new Karate Club as I was having issues with my old one. New group is fantastic, take it all very seriously and i've learned more in the last 2 weeks with them than the last 2 months with the old.

Anyway!! onto my questions.

Once i'm back up to speed i'll be aiming for first kyu. Now I want to do well and want to show myself in the best way and come away feeling happy with my efforts. I don't think I can do that with my current flexibility. The main issue seems to be inner groin. After kicking roundhouse for example my groin really hurts, now i'm fully stretched and warm etc but there always seems to be bone resisitance rather than the normal feeling of tight muscles. Is there a good supplementary training session I could do on my own to relax this area, increase general flexibility and make these kicks easier to perform?

Likes (received)

If you're feeling a hard end of range of motion, rather than a soft one, there may be a problem that should be checked out by a doctor. That said, to increase ROM you normally need to stretch the five adductor muscles of the femur: the pectineus, adductor brevis, adductor longus, gracilis, and adductor magnus. Stretching should be slow and steady, and avoid "bouncing" at the end, which can tear muscle fibers and lead to the formation of scar tissue. (How the muscles feel during the stretch is what's important, not any particular distance or angle of stretch.) For specific guidance, I'd suggest looking on Amazon for an old book by Bill Wallace called 'Dynamic Stretching and Kicking.'
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

hmm..

I think i'll get myself into a regular stretch routine and see what happens. I do have slightly wonky hips (according to my osteopath) but i'll do some serious stretching over the next couple of months and see if that helps. At least i'll then know if it's purely a ROM problem rather than anything serious

Likes (received)

Default How about eye surgery?

I have been recuperating from a torn retina. I am home and wondering how to ease into karate training. I bought a book on Tai stretches and wondered if I should do these stretches or ease into the stretches taught at my dojo and slowly work into katas. Does anyone have an opinion on this?