Likes Likes:  1

Thread: FINALLY! Hidden in Plain Sight - the new edition - Released

Likes (received)

Default FINALLY! Hidden in Plain Sight - the new edition - Released

"I am very pleased to announce the release of Hidden in Plain Sight: Esoteric Power Training within Japanese Martial Traditions (Tracing the Roots of Ueshiba Morihei's Power).

It is truly a new book, ⅔ larger, 441 pages with over 100 photographs. Two-thirds larger, this second edition is so much more. Amdur digs deep into the past, showing the complexity of human strength, its adaptation to varying lifestyles, and the nature of physical culture pursued for martial ends. Amdur goes into detail concerning varieties of esoteric power training within martial arts, culminating in a specific methodology known as ‘six connections’ or ‘internal strength.’ With this discussion as a baseline, he then discusses the transfer of esoteric power training from China to various Japanese jūjutsu systems as well as Japanese swordsman-ship emanating from the Kurama traditions. Finally, he delves into the innovative martial tradition of Daitō-ryū and its most important offshoot, aikidō, showing how the mercurial, complicated figures of Takeda Sokaku and Morihei Ueshiba were less the embodiment of something new, than a re-imagining of their past

Chapters include:
    SECTION 1 -- THE CULTIVATION OF POWER
    Chapter 1 -- Physical Culture: A Uniquely Human Preoccupation
    Chapter 2 -- The Development of Specialized Martial Strength
    Chapter 3 -- Connected Strength -- a Comprehensive Form of Physical Organization
    SECTION 2 -- HEAVEN AND EARTH WITHIN MAN
    Chapter 4 -- The Chinese Connection
    Chapter 5 -- Kitō-ryū: Rising and Falling
    Chapter 6 -- Yoshin-ryū: A Garden of Willows
    Chapter 7 -- Tenjin Shinyō-ryū: Heaven and Man
    Chapter 8 -- What Happened to Jūjutsu?
    SECTION 3 --DAITŌ-RYŪ: THE PAST IS FUTURE
    Chapter 9 -- Aizu Bujutsu: Takeda Sokaku's Birthright
    Chapter 10 -- Takeda Sokaku: Opening our Eyes to True Budō
    Chapter 11 -- The Heart of Aiki is the Sword: Takeda Sokaku's Legacy
    Chapter 12 -- Aiki Nitō Hiden
    SECTION 4 -AIKIDŌ AND UESHIBA MORIHEI: MORE THAN A MARTIAL ART & MORE THAN A MARTIAL ARTIST
    Chapter 13 -- Is the Heart of Aikidō the Sword?
    Chapter 14 -- Aikidō is Three Peaches
    Chapter 15 -- Hidden in Plain Sight
    Chapter 16 -- Circle, Square, Triangle: How to Be O-Sensei in Sixteen Easy Steps
    EPILOGUE -- ‘Mada! Mada!' (‘Not Yet! Not Yet!')
    APPENDICES

Likes (received)

Thank you for the notice. I really look forward to diving into it - the original was great.
    Lance Gatling ガトリング
    Tokyo 東京

Long as we're making up titles, call me 'The Duke of Earl'

Likes (received)

Default ERRATA in HIDDEN IN PLAIN SIGHT (UPDATE)

This is an updated message concerning one particular error in HIPS. On page 64.
    Some time ago, I wrote: Vincente Bosch alluded to the fact that my description of circular breathing on my KogenBudo blog was different than that in the book. Others have noted the error directly. ON the blog, I wrote, correctly: "The truth is, however, we ALWAYS execute diaphragmic breathing unless something has gone terribly wrong. When we inhale, the diaphragm always pulls downwards, creating a vacuum that draws air into the lungs. When we exhale, the opposite. The movement of the diaphragm may be constricted or inhibited, but it is always the main ‘driver’ of breathing.” But somehow, in HIPS, I wrote "the diaphragm is drawn upwards," an anatomical impossibility I read it and think, “how the f**k did I type that? Why didn’t I catch it? What didn’t my editor, my three critical readers who are supposedly educated. And every person with an axe to grind is going to jump all over that and discount the whole book!"
    And although I can accept many editing errors, something substantive as this is something I cannot abide. First of all, because it's wrong, and secondly - to be honest - I am aware that some my discount my entire work because of this error, which is so fundamental. My publisher, Gregory Mele, agrees with me. So what we have done: At the following link is a downloadable label, formatted exactly to that passage on page 64. If you follow the instructions, you can print it out and paste it directly into the book. Of course, new print runs will not have this regrettable error, but this way, I can assure myself that it can be corrected, even in the original. Freelance Academy Press

4. Likes pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

That is a rather ingenious way to edit a book after it's been sold.

Kudos Ellis!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"