Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Hoping to find a traditional school in Nashville

Likes (received)

Default Hoping to find a traditional school in Nashville

I have found a couple of places and was wondering what members thought and if anyone knows of any others that are traditional or have worked with these folks:

"Dojo of the Southern Wind" http://www.nashvilleaikijujutsu.com/about-nami-ryu/

"Nashville Aikikai" https://nashvilleaikikai.org/

I've checked out koryu.com and have discovered their ryu list is extraordinarily unhelpful for locating useful ryu unless you research each local school and cross reference the names.

My primary interests are Kenjutsu, Bojutso, Jojutsu, Aikijujutsu.

Thanks all!
    --
    Bill Sadler

Likes (received)

Depends what you mean by traditional. If you mean a koryu, a school founded before the inception of the Meiji era, hewing to a number of parameters of both culture and practice, neither would fit that definition. (If you are interested in more information on that type of martial tradition, see my Old School (www.freelanceacademypress.com)
    Nami-ryu is a neo-koryu, so to speak. Developed by James Williams through his study of a variety of martial arts. I won't speak for him - you can look up Nami-ryu and get history and substance.
    The Nashville Aikikai is, of course, aikido, affiliated with Saotome Mitsugi. They use weaponry in a graceful way, to enhance the development of their aikido skills.
    Ellis Amdur

3. Likes WmSadler, cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Thank you Sir, I will check.

I started in US martial conversions of Shotokan and Taekwondo - when I was stationed in Hawaii had a chance to train with Yamashita Sensei on Oahu (early 80s) and some in Japan when we were deployed there. - I am seeking exactly what you mentioned, traditional Koryu.
    --
    Bill Sadler

Likes (received)

I have a good friend in Tn - not sure exactly where, but I think he's in Nashville also. He's just started learning TSKSR, with a group under the auspices of Relnick s, I think. Let me know if you're interested and I'll find out where exactly.

6. Likes cxt liked this post