Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello from Northern Kentucky

Likes (received)

Default Hello from Northern Kentucky

My name is Jim Sorrell. I started karate in the 1970's as a special interest for an Explorer Post, Boy Scouts of America. I was traveling Madison Avenue in Covington, Kentucky when I noticed a sign notating a Karate class on a side street. I watched a class and an instructor told me a new dojo was being built on Martin street. I couldn't entice the teens to commit to any special interest and soon realized I couldn't relate to them. I found something in karate training and began attending the new dojo. The chief instructor was William J Dometrich who received the style of Chito-ryu Karate in 1950 from Doctor Tsuyoshi Chitose in Japan. Hanshi was fair but firm. He saw something in me, who was far from being an athlete. I tried, which was what he wanted. I advanced but soon had to lower my training time due to the birth of my daughters, my career, and financial concerns. I kept with the dojo and popped in at times just to watch class and wait until I could attend full time. After time, my daughters began moving out and soon it was my wife and I and retirement looming. I began attending again to persevere and pick up my past ranks. I fought for every rank. I began feeling like part of the family and I would stop in the dojo kitchen to engage in conversation with the sensei and students before I left for the night. I have had a detached retina reattached and am awaiting for my vision to clear so that I may return to class. I am a Sho-Dan. I look to joining in the forums with other karateka.

Likes (received)

Hello Mr Sorrell,

Welcome to E-Budo. I hope your enjoy the forums and the discussions.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Welcome, and thank you for sharing your karate background with us. Enjoy the forums!
    Cady Goldfield