Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Hi Everybody! From NYC

Likes (received)

Question Hi Everybody! From NYC

Hello everybody!

I'm Jasper and I'm 20, studying physics in NYC, and I've been training in Goju Ryu since I was 3/4. Over the last year and a half of getting used to the city after moving from a very small town, I've been getting much more serious about my training, especially when it comes to research and understanding the history and development of my style, and others. I've been really hoping to get some cross training (I'm particularly interested in Judo, Kendo and Aikido but I'm limited to college clubs for now) and also really hoping to find resources to continue writing and expanding a large notebook that I started digitizing this summer. I've been kind of stymied trying to find resources on the lineage or my current dojo, because while I know that lineage, it's hard to find resources about Peter Urban and Yamaguchi Gogen, but I would like to hopefully be able to corroborate a bit more of a detailed history of their training together. My original dojo, which I trained at for 14 years until moving across the nation, followed Seikichi Toguchi's lineage which I've found a lot more extant research on.

What are your guys' thoughts on writing down what you practice? Where would you recommend I look for more history? What other styles do you think I should consider cross training in?

Glad to meet you all and looking forward to finding a wonderful community!

Jasper

Likes (received)

Welcome, Jasper!
    Over the years, we've had a number of Goju Ryu practitioners on the forum. Check the Karate forum and do a search, and you will likely bring up lots of threads on the art and its history, and other related topics. Searching other arts will similarly turn up plenty of relevant discussions on the other arts you're interested in, and maybe will provide you with insights on what would be the most compatible cross-training option for you.
    Enjoy!
    Cady Goldfield

3. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperhowald View Post
    Hello everybody!

I'm Jasper and I'm 20, studying physics in NYC, and I've been training in Goju Ryu since I was 3/4. Over the last year and a half of getting used to the city after moving from a very small town, I've been getting much more serious about my training, especially when it comes to research and understanding the history and development of my style, and others. I've been really hoping to get some cross training (I'm particularly interested in Judo, Kendo and Aikido but I'm limited to college clubs for now) and also really hoping to find resources to continue writing and expanding a large notebook that I started digitizing this summer. I've been kind of stymied trying to find resources on the lineage or my current dojo, because while I know that lineage, it's hard to find resources about Peter Urban and Yamaguchi Gogen, but I would like to hopefully be able to corroborate a bit more of a detailed history of their training together. My original dojo, which I trained at for 14 years until moving across the nation, followed Seikichi Toguchi's lineage which I've found a lot more extant research on.

What are your guys' thoughts on writing down what you practice? Where would you recommend I look for more history? What other styles do you think I should consider cross training in?

Glad to meet you all and looking forward to finding a wonderful community!

Jasper
    Jasper,

I've taken notes on and off for over 45 years. Looking back, I wish I was more consistent.

Where are you going to school? If you want, I can introduce you to my teacher, Kow Loon Ong (Kayo) who teaches in Chinatown. Kayo started his Goju training at Peter Urban's Chinatown Dojo where he trained Goju Kai, and ended up training at Thomas Boddies Uptown Dojo, where Kayo began training under various Shoreikan Sensei. Kayo opened and taught at a couple of Shoreikan dojo with Tamano Toshio and Joe Donovan, until he resigned from the Shoreikan.

One of my Blackbelt's husband is an Aikido Sensei and has also been training Shindo Yoshin-ryu Jujutsu with Toby Threadgill (he's also a member here).

All the best,

Chris
    Last edited by chunmonchek; 14th October 2018 at 02:53.

5. Likes cxt liked this post
    Likes (received)

Welcome to e-budo.

Yes, keep a journal, write down things--20 years from now you will likely wish you had.

Nothing wrong with college clubs.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

I'm at Columbia up on 116th
    Jasper Howald

Likes (received)

I'm at Columbia up on 116th
    If you're ever interested in researching your Urban/Yamaguchi/Shoreikan lineage, I'll introduce you to my teacher. I work in Midtown, by Columbus Circle, and Kayo is just a subway ride away...

Likes (received)

I'd be glad to at some point, maybe sometime after midterm season when my regular academic life slows down a bit.
    Jasper Howald

10. Likes chunmonchek liked this post
    Likes (received)

I'd be glad to at some point, maybe sometime after midterm season when my regular academic life slows down a bit.
    OK, whenever you like.