Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Naihanchi, what’s in the name ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Likes (received)

Default Naihanchi, what’s in the name ?

Hello All ! I’m new to the forum but have made my introduction in the Gendai Budo section.
    As the headline say this post is about the Naihanch/Tekki Katas, specifically what’s in the names ?
    The names of Katas and similar exercises in both Japanese and the Chinese martial arts may refer to or tells or even teach something in/about the Katas, and maybe that’s even more so the case In theChinese martial arts.
    Now Im not versed in the Japanese language but I learned that Tekki translate to “Iron Horse”, and at a basic level of understanding it most certainly suggest reference to the predominate Kiba-dachi (horse stance) at use.
    But what about Naihanchi ? The name might not be of Japanese language but probably from Okinawan dialect/language and maybe an older such, maybe related to Chinese?
    So my question to this knowledgeable board is - Naihanchi, what’s in that name ?

Tryggve Rick

Likes (received)

This is a great question. If you find out please post here. Most books use phonetic Japanese (katakana) for naihanchi. Nagamine Sensei uses kanji. I used to ask people on Okinawa what it meant. Got less than helpful answers, not really Japanese, cannot read Nagamine's writing, Karateka typically said name of kata. One American well versed in Japanese said he talked to Nagamine Sensei about it and got the feeling the kanji were arbitrary. You cannot ask older Okinawan point blank why did you use something that doesn't make sense.
    Respectfully,
    Len McCoy

Likes (received)

Hello!
    Thanks!
    Yes, that’s about the understanding I’ve come to about the Naihanchi name enigma..... it’s funny the Okinawans themselves don’t know, or maybe not funny, maybe records got lost during the WW2?

Funakoshi’s Tekki might be a clue to the Okinawan name?

Tryggve Rick

Likes (received)

Hello,

The name “Tekki” 鉄騎, chosen by G. Funakoshi (1868–1957) for this kata, signifies “Iron Horse Rider” (not “Iron Horse”).

The kata was formally known by another name that was transmitted only orally. And that is the problem when we want to know what this name means. The oldest written source (that I am aware of) mentioning this kata name is from 1896 and gives it as “Naihanchin”. From 1913 on G. Funakoshi gives the name as “Naihanchin”. Because of the Okinawan dialects there are also the variants “Naifanchin” and “Naifanchi”. Because of the oral transmission these variants are only written down in phonetic script, i.e. without kanji (Chinese characters) bearing a meaning. So from the early sources it is impossible to understand what the name was supposed to express exactly.

Later on some Okinawan and Japanese teachers and authors tried to make sense of the name and tried to fit in kanji which can be pronounced as “Naihanchi” etc. some of the better known are from

G. Nakasone (1895–1978), 内歩進, signifying “Advancing with Steps [turned] Inward” and
    K. Hisataka (1907–1988), 内畔戦, signifying “Combat within the Field Border”.

In fact I collected more of those for my research published in German.

Besides this kanji centred approach the Okinawan linguist M. Sakihara (1928–2001) suggested that “Naihanchi” is the combination of two Okinawan verbs so that it would signify “do snap”. Please bear in mind that all these interpretations are modern.

Regards,

Henning Wittwer

Likes (received)

Hi !
    Thanks for that interesting info. “Iron Horse Rider”! , that’s interesting.
    Since 1990 I’ve been learning and practicing the Chinese martial art Xingyiquan, wich basics contain five fists/techniques(elements) which later expands to twelve animals(variations of the 5 basics) one of those is the Horse.

Back in 2009 I learned a variation of the horse which gave me a big Aha!moment, it felt so similar to a sequence in the Tekki shodan that it actually could be some relation between them. My teacher half jokingly half seriously showed and explained the hand/arm movement as holding on to the reins when riding - The “Iron Horse Rider” might fit in here 8-)
    Now that “Horse” variation I’ve not come around anywhere else but from my teacher(in China,city of Dalian/Liaoning, formerly known as Manchuria)

After that when my attention was caught I could also relate the more “common” Xingyiquan Horse variations to the Tekkis (1&2)
    So when I stretch my far fetched theory long enough I can almost believe the Tekki/Naihanchi has or at least share a common source with the Xin/Xingyiquan in China ?

But then I also can find the Bear, the Eagle and perhaps the Snake there in the Tekki katas 8-)
    This is most probably because we just have our four limbs with their specific range of motion, so commonalities comes around......But still my gut feeling say there could be something more in common.

Tryggve Rick

Likes (received)

Hello,

No version of the modern interpretations for "Naihanchi" contains the term "horse". A. Itosu's style of stepping in Naihanchi was referred to as "crab walking" in an article published directly after his death. Of course, a crab is not a horse. So I would say it would be a little too much to conclude that because in Chinese fighting styles the term "horse" is used it has to mean that Naihanchi is historically related to one of these stlyes using the term "horse" ...

Regards,

Henning Wittwer