Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Source for jos?

Likes (received)

Question Source for jos?

I'm trying to find a source for decent quality jos, at a reasonable price. (Previous forum posts on this subject are quite dated.)

In the past I've used Dowels on Demand, but lately he has gotten more flaky than usual (slow response time, shipping errors, mistakes in ordering, etc.). So I'm looking for some place new. I've tried reaching out to a few martial art suppliers (SDK, Crane Mountain), but haven't heard back yet.

I'm open to hearing about people's experience; quality, price, customer service, etc.

I've also reached out to several lumber suppliers. This, in my opinion, is the most economical solution. In general, it seems that when a dowel is billed as a "martial arts weapon", the price tends to be around $75-100 (in some cases much more). Whereas a dowel of comparable material from a lumber supplier can run between $10-30. As much as I appreciate craftsmanship, this is a hard pill to swallow.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I look forward to responses.

Likes (received)

Tozando has decent jo made of Chinese white oak.
    Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 6th September 2020 at 03:33.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I have a source for really excellent staffs, either of hickory or jotoba. I've used the hickory and they are excellent - no dents, no splinters, no breakage. Costs about $60, or a little less - IIRC, and can be made to spec. One thing I like about hickory is that, unlike oak, it doesn't dry out very much and therefore, doesn't need nearly as much maintenance with oil. The only downsides are that, despite it's strength, it is a little lighter than oak (Japanese or otherwise) and has a different feel in the hands.

Won't release his contact info here, because it's a side-business for him, and I don't know how much business he wants - but if you are interested, can give you contact info through PM.
    Ellis Amdur

Likes (received)

I also can recommend a craftsman who makes custom jo, bokuto and other wooden practice weapons. Dan Blizniak. As he has a website and promotes his work, he likely wouldn't mind an endorsement here. He works with a variety of wood types, and also a dense, resilient composite material. i ordered a hickory bokuto from him a couple of years ago, and it is a nicely made, well balanced piece. Besides the qualities of hickory that Ellis described, when hickory breaks, it doesn't snap clean through; rather, it "shreds," and the broken pieces hold together. This can provide some measure of safety, as there is less risk of a broken piece flying through the air.

https://blizniaksbokken.com/category/exotic-woods/
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Over various years, I have used Midwest Dowels for my needs of this sort. The only caveat is that you have to order at least $75.00 in order to get an individual order. I have had what I need for solo practice (Okinawan kata) for some years now, so I have not contacted them recently, but I have always found them reasonable. They carry white and red oak, hickory and a few other woods. You can ask for as straight as possible. Turnaround time was usually within two weeks. There is also a company in Greece (https://www.weaponskobudo.com). They makes very good equipment at reasonable prices. Hope this helps.
    Michael Martin

6. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post