Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dave Gorden?

Likes (received)

Default Dave Gorden?

Are ya here Dave? Anyway, I remember you sent me a photo, see below, and wonder if you still remember all the names? I used the photo in my bio for lack of any I had of the Judo club at Kadena, hope you don't mind. Was too poor to afford a camera then Do you remember any Judo guys from Naha AB?, Like Jim Hatch or Berny Wrye?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	10852

Kneeling, L to R- Ree C. Fitzpatrick, Patrick J. Goldsworthy, Ei'ichi Miyazato (Sensei), Dean Tower, ? Matthews, name (?).Standing: L to R- Steve Vorweck, name(?), Dave Gorden, Walt Conlon

Likes (received)

Another photo but a few years earlier:

Name:	Image39a.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	10853

The 1962 Okinawa Air Force Judo Team heading for Japan for the 5th Air Force Championships. Front row (L.R.) Bernard ("Butsy") Wrye, Ronald Johnson, Richard Whitcher, Bob Coffey, Preston Pugh, and James Hatch. Back row (L.R.) Jeffrey Beish, Edward Kirby, Leroy Hutchenson Jr., Jose Vasquez, Vetus McCray and Stanley Arakawa.

Likes (received)

Here I am, Jeff. No I never knew those guys. I was there from 1965 thru 1967 and Naha Air Base judo seemed to be nonexistent at that time. Patrick J Goldsworthy (nidan) was senior student. Once he took, I think, 5 of us to Naha AB to work out. The Okinawan sensei, was very pleased to have us there. He only had a couple of guys attending. He smiled and laughed most of the time and I was impressed with what he taught and how he taught it. There was a karate group on another part of the gym. As I recall the karateka ( GI') kept watching us. You could tell they had not seen judo before. At least not much if any. Goldy had Steve Vorweck and I go thru Nage No Kata before practice broke up and the karate practice seemed to come to a halt to watch. The sensei, who Goldy knew, appeared very please that we had come. At that time Dean Tower was traveling to competitions and I didn't see much of him for awhile.

Judo dojos on Oki at that time seemed to disappear, not completely, but fewer of them operated. I asked Goldy about it and he said the Okinawans were busy working as they needed the money and didn't take time for judo anymore. Don't know if it was the case, but it was hard to find Okinawan dojo. I do remember Kadena was invited to a competition, 5 man teams. We were the only foreigners. Goldy, Willie Peavy, Jerry Kang, myself and Steve Vorweck or Walt Conlon. I enjoyed it, but was disappointed that we only had one match and I was the only one who won. We were each presented with a small towel as a gift, I think; but it could have been a suggestion to clean up our judo before coming back.

Nam was really ratcheting up then. After the 1965 PACAF tourney at Yakota Air Base it was mostly promotion shia at Naha police dojo.
    Dave Gorden "If wishes were horses, all beggars would ride".---Frank Osten

Likes (received)

Dave, great hearing from you again. I lost touch for while. Do you remember that Okinawan sensei’s name? Was it Uehara? If so he was all Okinawan champ several years before I was there. I guessed that Judo was on the decline there before leaving Okinawa. They were very good Judoka but as poor as Jobs turkey. I lost to some Okinawan once wearing a white belt. He was sandan but could not afford a black obi! Hum, I wonder……

Here are two photos of some of the USAF Judoka with a couple Kadena and Naha Judo gang:

Jarvis,_Seino,_Joe,_Coffee_etc_pic: Standing L2R: Ron Hudson, Vito Vanoso, Bob Coffey, Nelson Cross, Jerry Reid. Kneeling L2R: Melendez, Robey Reed, Richard Whitcher, ?, Ron Hubbard. Sitting L2RL Dean Tower, James Jarvis, Joe Turchaino, Paul Schaffer, Tosh Senio, ?.

Joe,_Shull,_Seino_tournament_shot: Standing L2R: Nakabashi, Melendez, Ron Hubbard, Nelson Cross, ?, Jerry Reid. Kneeling L2R: Robrey Reed, Richard Whitcher, Tosh Senio, Joe Turchaino. Sitting L2RL ?, Paul Schaffer, James Jarvis, Leonard Shull

Name:	Jarvis,_Seino,_Joe,_Coffee_etc_pic.JPG 
Views:	394 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	10856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joe,_Shull,_Seino_tournament_shot.JPG 
Views:	270 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	10857

Likes (received)

The old "Police Dojo," was actually the "Naha Butokuden Martial Arts Academy" was torn down in 1989. Had a lot of fun there. Did you know Jim Hatch at Naha AB?

Likes (received)

I think you sent me this one:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Likes (received)

Yes, I sent the last photo. Kadena sponsored Isao Okano to visit. He had 3 of his buddies along with him. Photo is of Isao Okano and Dean Tower posing for picture. Okano took a line up of gaigin and also one of Okinawans. I don't think they were more than 5 man lineups each. No matter, impressed the hell out of me! I was a raw beginner at the time.

Likes (received)

Worked with him once while in Japan. He was in high school and very good. Thought he would make it big Wow, that was 54 years ago!

Likes (received)

Has real Judo practice fallen off or is it just Internet Judo? Seems like no one ever posts here now days. I visit only a couple more MA forums and Judo threads are very short.

Likes (received)

Nuts, I wrote a reply to your post, Jeff, but somehow lost it when hit the Post Quick Reply. As I said, Nuts, to it.

Name:	Jon Bluming and Mark Feigenbaum at seminar.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	10880 I downloaded a couple of pics of Mark Feigenbaum and Jon Bluming. This is one

Likes (received)

Got it Dave. Takew care, it's just Internut

Likes (received)

I think the era of Internet Judo is over. Maybe it should have never started.

Likes (received)

Dave, after fiddling with cable TV I finally saw Judo and was not impressed by most, but some good Judo was seen. After watching many videos of 2016 I just had to go find some only Yamashita and Okano vids so I could remember what Judo used to like

Likes (received)

It is different. A lot of the chess game is gone. I was always more of a counter attacker anyway. Most of my points probably came from Tani Otoshi.

I had about a 10 year layoff from regular practice then found a dojo within driving distance in 2001 that was shiai oriented. The Judoka were so aggressive compared to the 70s and 80s. I was nailing guys with Uki Waza and Yoko Wakare. They attacked like rabid dogs. I never used those throws but guys just threw them selves into my sacrifices.... until they figured out my tricks.

I've seen a lot of Olympic highlight videos that look nice. I've seen some nice newaza. I saw one that looked like a nice okur eri jime transition into jigoku jime and some nice osaekomi.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Mark Feigenbaum is sorely missed. Thanks for the photo and memory.
    Cady Goldfield

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast