Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Total Rookie planning to join a College Judo club next semester. Advice?

Likes (received)

Default Total Rookie planning to join a College Judo club next semester. Advice?

I know the whole "I haven't started yet but could use some tips" is probably a broken record to some here, but as said in the title, starting isn't far off for me and some habits to get into that would make me better prepared would be useful. Size in Judo might not be much of a factor but I should note that I am presently over 280 lbs (one of my reasons for taking up Judo is to get physical exercise.). Some advice on how to throw or lock a joint may be a good start. Thanks!
    Ethan Andrew McNeil

Likes (received)

I hope Dusty Mars will chime in here, as he is a longtime judoka.
    It's been a while since I've been in college, but I'll throw in some thoughts, as I cross-train in judo at a small local dojo/club and have had a good experience with it.

Generally, it's best not to try to teach anything to yourself beforehand -- just go to keiko (training) as a true beginner with an open mind, and let the instructor and senior students teach you from the very beginning. You will learn how to wear your judo gi, tie your belt, observe the protocols and etiquette for stepping on and off the mat and lining up for class, etc. They will help you learn how to take breakfalls and rolling ukemi, so that you can keep yourself safe during practice. Then you'll start learning the basic throws and techniques. Don't rush yourself.

If you want to improve your conditioning before you start judo, so you feel that you can keep up with the class, you could start walking and/or swimming, first relatively slow and easy, then when you start getting more fit you can up the pace. Maybe get into a fitness group and start increasing your cardio capacity that way, too.

One other thought -- while college clubs should have a faculty advisor or some permanent senior person overseeing the club, to provide structure and authority, a lot of college clubs don't have active supervision. And although classes should follow the judo curriculum so that beginners get the intro and basics they need, it's not always organized that way. You don't want to just end up as another body for the senior members to throw around for their own practice. ;o) Also, you want to make sure that the members aren't all inexperienced, with no one really qualified to teach. It happens, since students graduate and move on, and new members come in with varying degrees of experience.

Maybe try it for a semester and see if you get something from the training. If not, you can always look into a private judo club off campus.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Not too sure if this is too late, but my advice is get in the best possible shape you can prior to starting. It probably won't be enough, but you have to start somewhere. I say this because of your weight, and the fact you want to use it to get into shape. Well, you need to be ready for class, and getting in shape prior to class starts is part of it.

I used to struggle mightily through the basic warm up exercises when I first started, which detracted from my ability to learn as I was so exhausted. Push ups, sit ups, cartwheels, leg lifts, bear crawls, shrimping, leapfrogs, etc.

Don't worry about lifting weights. Walk, run, or ride a bike for cardio, and later work on sprints for anaerobic cardio, which you will need. Just do basic exercises, such as burpees. Do as many as you can, and try to increase your number every week. I can't stress that enough.

Judo is a physically demanding sport, and like wrestling, will make you more tired than you have ever been tired in your entire life. Your goal shouldn't be to just survive the class, but to actually learn and enjoy it.

I'm speaking from experience, because I was grossly out of shape when I started Judo. I just tried to survive the class the first few months, and when it came time to practice throws, I had nothing left in the tank.

4. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

My Judo days ended 34 years ago after practicing it for 37 years. I miss it and wish it never ended, but my body is happy I did. Along with Judo I practiced several forms of karate and loved that as well, then continued that for some year after Judo. IMHO, Judo is the most efficient and meaningful way of living. Talk with any old-timer Judoka and you will likely get the same story, “Judo changed my life for the good.” Why Judo fell out of popularity and replaced by MMA, BJJ and such derivatives of Judo is a compete mystery.

6. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'm currently working on my cardio exercises (to be specific, burning more calories every time I walk so I can prepare for for the demands of the more intense cardio exercises).
    Ethan Andrew McNeil

8. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Well, that is great to do. After all the diets over my years I learned that none of them resulted in permanent weigh loss, but I usually gained all the losses back plus some. Back before retiring I went on the Atkin’s Diet and began walking a mile at lunchtime at work. A year later, and 65 pounds lighter, I weighed 205 pounds. Most of my life my weight hovered around 130-150 pounds until I lived in Germany for a while and gained up to 180. German beer and food did it! LOL

After retiring in 2001, I continued to walk and stay on a modified Atkin’s Diet, but over a few years wore both knees out and in 2009 had my knees replaced. Slowly I gained all the weight back from the year before retiring. By then I was over 80 years old and decided the best thing was to just not eat so much. I lost 30 pounds over a year and a half, and now have no desire to fill up my belly to the point it hurts, as I did most of my life.

All the year I practiced the Martial Arts my weight was just right, but my eating habits were not great due to consuming high carbohydrates and energy treats. Most of my sensei and fellow sports types stayed trim during our days working out, but got fat afterwards. Guess one thing we didn’t learn about Judo was to change our eating habits. Yeah, it took 80+ years to learn that. Big Laugh
    Last edited by DustyMars; 3rd February 2023 at 20:06.

10. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

The big challenge is eating enough calories to fuel hard training, but then learning to trim back and balance out that diet when 1. we stop training intensely and so do not need as many calories, and 2. our bodies reach a certain age where the metabolism slows down and burns fewer calories. A lot of us keep eating the way we did when we were living very physical lives, even when we have toned it down a bit!

For a younger person conditioning him/herself for judo and other high-energy sports and athletics, you have more latitude to eat and train in higher amounts, but there will be an optimal level for caloric/nutrient intake that provides sufficient energy to do the training you want to do. Everyone is a bit different in such requirements, but there are general rules of nutrition and conditioning to start with, and there are a lot of good resources for that information all over the internet.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I vaguely remember how exhausted and sweaty we were after practicing for many hours going out to eat and it was like feeding the hogs. After so many years of taking in too many calories and carbs it became a habit and extended long after the heavy workout ceased. Now, after just changing my eating habits I maintain the same weight, plus or minus a couple pounds, and still manage to lose a few pounds a week. I wish I had done it years ago.

While living on Okinawa the practices were long and brutal. We would not leave the tatami without some bleeding. Not sure that was wise, but it happened often. The more I practiced, the more I loved it. However, my competition days were limited and my interest in shiai just was not all that much into it. My interests were in learning every aspect of Judo and maybe someday teaching it. In time that happened, and I never looked back.
    Last edited by DustyMars; 4th February 2023 at 18:05.

13. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Doing hours of hard judo training must burn off thousands of calories.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDragon View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'm currently working on my cardio exercises (to be specific, burning more calories every time I walk so I can prepare for for the demands of the more intense cardio exercises).
    I would really recommend adding burpees to your exercise routine. You need a whole body workout, and those will do it. Judo will require you to use most of the muscles in your body, whether its standing or grappling on the mat. Do what you can, and then build upon it.

They suck, and are tiring, but its one of the best ways to work on your overall fitness. All those calisthenics you did in high school PE are a great way to get you in shape for Judo.

You will need aerobic and anaerobic cardio for judo, so while walking or biking is good, you will need other exercises to help with the anaerobic part.

Don't worry about burning calories. The goal is to get your muscles conditioned to endure the rigors of the class, and your cardio will help you last through the class. You will burn lots of calories in class, but the goal should be to learn a martial art and acquire new skills. If you just want to loose weight, go on a diet and go to a gym and hire a personal trainer to put you through the ringer. I never liked martial arts advertising themselves as a way to loose weight; that's not Budo.

Likes (received)

In addition to burpees, there are other exercises that can help with anaerobic cardio, such as sprint intervals or high intensity interval training (HIIT). It can help increase endurance and improve your ability to perform short bursts of intense activity.
    I agree with your opinion that martial arts are not only a way to lose weight. Martial arts are about learning new skills, developing discipline, and improving mental and physical health. While weight loss can be a by-product of exercise, it's not the main goal.

Likes (received)

This is my workouts these days:

Name:  yardwork.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  84.0 KB

I have up Martial Arts for astrono9my, then turned 82 and just try to get off my easy chair.

Likes (received)

Jeff, you could still coach judo. I'll bet a lot of kids would benefit from your experience and wisdom. Even sitting in a chair and directing everyone from there, would be an inspiration to others.
    Here's Billy Root, a judoka from England, in a video made when he was 90...
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Heck, I can barely spell "OGoshi."

20. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post