Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering of your opinion, a different world

Likes (received)

Default Just wondering of your opinion, a different world

" The FUTURE is UNWRITTEN,KNOW YOUR RIGHTS"
    The Clash.

Likes (received)

There are folks who make up forms for demonstration and competition, without having any formal training in an authentic martial art in the area they are demonstrating. This appears to be one of those situations. The person in question has worked as a stunt double, and evidently has dan rankings in Goju ryu, Chinese kenpo, and taekwon-do, but none of those is a Japanese sword art or system, nor contains kenjutsu. Her kiai does not appear to be derived from any formal kenjutsu training, either.
    Perfectly fine for entertainment, though, IMO. Nice athleticism.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

" The FUTURE is UNWRITTEN,KNOW YOUR RIGHTS"
    The Clash.

Likes (received)

Correct Cady. It is entertainment but not real. I wonder if anyone of them has ever had a minute if training. But, it beats "woke" stuff.

Likes (received)

I recently watched an interview with her, where she talks about her training. Apparently, she learned "sword" moves from one of her martial arts instructors, who is not himself a kenjutsu or kendo practitioner. 'Nuff said. She is athletically gifted, trains hard, and has attained a level of success in the entertainment industry as a martial arts stunt person.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

I applaud anyone who participates in such an activity, but I wonder if it would be better to train under an actual Martian Arts teacher. I see lots of so-called Judo-like stuff that belongs more so in pro wrestling, but they want to think they are doing Jujitsu/Judo. Just saying, from an old has been.

Likes (received)

I suppose it depends on what the person is looking for. Some are drawn to study and practice a traditional art or system, and love the cultural aspects that come with it. Others are looking for tools they can use in their individual kits, so to speak, and don't care whether they are learning a full art. Still others are performers and entertainers, and want something that looks exciting and impressive, but does not necessarily have to be authentic or "real."
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

The guys I learned from were holdovers from the originals, before WWII killed many off. They taught the old stuff, before commercial art caught up with them. Our friend and Judo sensei, Miyazato, was around 40 when I knew him, and he was a hachidan Gojuryu master as well. But, a real Judo scrapper I really enjoying working out with. Most of those karate guys took over after their sensei were either killed in or as a result of WWII. Miyagi died before I could meet him, but Miyazato was his top student and talked about him all the time, so I thought I actually knew him too. Now I read about those guys as if they were ancient people. Those were good times. They all formed a group and promoted each other to 8th dan just to get it started. Funny.

Like karate, those who did Judo as well were serious about it.

9. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

I wonder how some of these players would benefit from training under an actual Martial Arts instructor? Give their interest and experience in faking it, they may do well practicing the real stuff.

Likes (received)

The sense I get is that they see themselves as performers, more than as budoka. The interviews I've read indicate that they are aware that they are being taught contemporary, made-up routines by coaches and instructors who themselves are not formally trained in traditional weapons. I don't believe that they have any desire to pursue traditional weapons systems. They seem happy and fulfilled doing what they're doing, and as long as no one claims that it's authentic budo, there's no harm it it. There are some gifted athletes out there, and performance kata are one way of artistic expression of their athleticism.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

You are most likely right. Wishful thinking on my part.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by DustyMars View Post
    You are most likely right. Wishful thinking on my part.
    It'a hard for us old purists!
    Cady Goldfield

14. Likes DustyMars liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by George Robinson View Post
    I just wonder, where did they learn this type of martial Arts.
    From an interview I read, this person (and others doing similar performances) learned from her martial arts-athletic performance teacher, who himself was not trained in sword. It's basically made-up moves based on watching movies and videos, and coming up with movements that mimic the actions of a swordsman. These routines are intended to be for performance, not to be real combat method.
    Cady Goldfield

16. Likes George Robinson liked this post
    Likes (received)

I actually relearned Hane Goshi watching YouTube videos. Not sure why for the past 63 years I have been hung up on that technique. Only in my dreams since I stopped practicing many Moons ago.
    Last edited by DustyMars; 6th May 2023 at 15:19.

Likes (received)

We might do well to remember that almost exactly the same things were said of the hoary "samurai traditions" by people in Japan already in the 17th century. They were described as "kaho kenpo" (flowery swordsmanship) and "more flower than fruit." While it may be nowhere near as flamboyant, we can't critically look at koryu embu today and say "oh, yes, that would work in battle!"

And some people DO think the purpose of continuing to do koryu is for embu.

19. Likes Cady Goldfield liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast