Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scary Delicacies

Likes (received)

When I lived on Queen Anne Hill in Seattle, there was a Korean family who would make their own kimchee.

You could always tell when they dug up the pot and opened the sucker, it would smell for days and you could smell it up to about 6-7 blocks away. You would feel like the little troll guy in the movie "Labyrinth" who always said "Smells bad."

OK, anyone else here had dog? Not bad stir fried.

Cobra - tastes like gamey pork with a gristly texture.

Kangaroo - This is really good stuff!

Ha-Mu - fermented fish paste and pork. Smells bad, tastes OK with lots of hot rice.

Filipino duck egg with embryo intact. Had a hard time with this one but if you don't want to look like a wimp and are as stupid as I am, you can live off of it.

Wild Boar bacon - pretty good stuff, not as fatty as pig bacon.

Chitlins- Ugh!

Likes (received)

Margaret:

Interesting comment about the fat being considered the most precious part. In the sacrificial rituals practiced by the Israelites when the Temple still stood in Jerusalem, the choicest parts of the animal, specifically the fattiest parts, were offered on the altar as a gift to G-d, His reserved portion. I guess people have always known where the real flavor is (and it ain't in Marlboro country, either, buckaroo).

Earl
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Margaret, You were asking about how to prepare fresh corn? Something that is often served at matsuri (and tourist locations) in Japan ... grilled corn with soy sauce. The soy sauce is brushed on the corn as it is grilled ... kind of like teriyaki. The smell alone is wonderful! Give it a try ... you'll enjoy it!

Since the subject has turned more from odd foods to simply good food (or is it odd good food?) ... my wife makes a dish that is delicious ... has eggplant, sesame seeds, and natto. Not totally sure about everything that is in the sauce ... probably sesame seed oil, soy sauce, etc. I'll have to ask. Fried up and served with gohan. It is delicious! (Disclaimer: I do love natto ... so this dish works for me.)

Something I used to eat regularly for breakfast (besides natto gohan) and is still one of my favorites ... tamago gohan. Bowl of hot gohan ... crack an egg on top ... mix it in ... season to taste with a little bit of soy sauce (mix in). Absolutely delicious.

For those who have tried natto only once and decided they didn't like it ... try it a couple more times and you'll love it! Can't guarantee it, however ... .

Enjoy!

mikehansen

[Edited by burp on 07-06-2000 at 12:16 PM]

Likes (received)

Mike:

Tried natto a number of times. Still don't like it, although I can wrestle it down my throat if there is nothing else around. Everyone else in my family lives on it.

Re: Tamago Gohan:

I use just the yolk of the raw egg, which concentrates the flavor better and makes the whole thing a little less mucoid. After mixing the egg yolk with the rice, sprinkle on some katsuobushi flakes and finely chopped green onions, then wrap the whole thing up in a nice crisp sheet of nori. With miso shiru and some good hot green tea, a great way to start the day.

Earl

PS: Ever have natto mixed with grated tororo imo and sliced raw okra? I dislike all three of these things, but for people who are into the slippery-slimy aspects of food, I have been told this is a tasty dish. I'll take their word for it.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Howdy!

Earl, You're certainly not alone on the natto thing. I just happen to love it. Whenever I'm in Japan with my wife's family (up in Aomori), her uncle and I just love to eat mito natto. He usually has a certain type (or brand) he's itching to have me try ... ie. to see if it gets my vote for the best natto around. Lot's of fun for us ... to the chagrin (or should I say boredom) of the rest of the family!

I've never tried tamago gohan that way ... . It sounds really good! I'll have to try it (minus the green tea - I don't drink it).

I've never tried natto with tororo nor okra. Sounds interesting. Do you like tororo or okra in another way? Tororo soba is pretty good. Sometimes just plain with some shoyu and nori is good. Whenever my mother-in-law visits, she smuggles in some fresh yamaimo from the Aomori area. Makes for some delicious tororo. As for okra, we often eat it with ajipon over it ... makes for a nice little sidedish. You're right though ... interesting textures involved with all three of these food products!

Enjoy!

mikehansen

Likes (received)

Mike:

I never really got into tororo or okra. My late grandmother, who was from Montgomery, Alabama, put okra in her gumbo, which ruined it, as far as I'm concerned. I know, I know, before everyone piles on, I know that if it doesn't have okra in it it's not really gumbo. So sue me. Okra is not too disgusting deep fried or tempura'd, but it's still not something I'll go out of my way to eat.

Ever had kabura-zushi or funa-zushi? If you're into really (and I mean REALLY) stinky fermented stuff you'll probably like those.

Earl
    Earl Hartman

WolfHound Guest

Smile

Anyone ever have shredded pig ear(the cartilage)? Had it in Okinawa. Was a lot like squid to me, kinda chewy. I can understand why dogs love them.

I can't stand the fermented soybeans yuck! The smell of it turns my stomach.

I agree. Okra is best served fried(spent 8 months in Biloxi). It's too slimey otherwise.

There's a variety of seaweed that I've been server before that is reddish and looks like blood worms. Anyone know the name of it? It was served in a vineger and smelled like a antiseptic you'd find at a hospital.

Clark Williamson

Likes (received)

Originally posted by WolfHound
    Anyone ever have shredded pig ear(the cartilage)? Had it in Okinawa. Was a lot like squid to me, kinda chewy. I can understand why dogs love them.
    I've had this and agree it is pretty good ... very chewy.

Did you have pig's feet soba? Where they cook the pig-knuckle in it until it breaks down and is not so chewy any more? I didn't think I'd like it ... but it was quite good.

Speaking of which, I am told Okinawan soba is a little different than mainland soba. The noodles are generally thicker as is the broth. I had both during my visit and think there is a definite difference. That certainly doesn't make me and expert. Can anyone else confirm?
    Doug Daulton

WolfHound Guest

Yeah, the pigs feet soba was really good.

Okinawan soba noodles are thicker and yummier in my opinion.

I especially like the soba with the slab of pork floating in it. Mmmmmmm

We went to a traditional dinner theater and had a 7ish course meal of Okinawan foods, all perfectly delish (except the before mentioned seaweed).

Clark Williamson

hikari Guest

Cool More international cuisine!

Some Spanish delicacies:

Sesos de cordero - sort of lamb brains tempura
    Criadillas - bull testes
    Madejas - sheep guts rolled in a cilindrical shape
    Callos - cow stomach stew
    Calamares en su tinta - squid stewed in its own ink
    Pulpo a feira - boiled octopus with paprika
    Sepia a la plancha - grilled cuttlefish with parsley and lemon
    Toro de lidia - fighting bull meat (you were wondering what did people do with the dead bull after the corrida?)

Yep, all of these dishes are for real, although some of them are more common than the others. Callos, squid and cuttlefish, for example, are as common as muck.

Jeff Bristol Guest

Default Andean Cuisine

I forget where, but in South America (I think Peru) a great delicacy is Guinea Pig. And I heard once that and Capybara. Gotta love eaeting 4 feet long rats.

Jeff Bristol

Likes (received)

On Lonely Planet on the Travel Channel, they showed fried guinea pig. Apparently guinea pig is a food staple and shows up even on stained glass in church, because in pre-Columbian times, it was the largest domesticated meat animal available.

-M-

Likes (received)

When I was in Japan for New Year's, my wife dared me to eat bear sashimi and deer sashimi at a mountain ryokan. Bear was like a slice of fatty, raw bacon, but the deer was good. Another time, my mother-in-law offered me a piece of sushi which I'd never eaten before. It tasted good and had a unique consistancy. When I asked what it was she happily replied "Well, female fish have eggs, right? Well this is what the male fish has, and whatever part that makes it!" Thanks, Okaasan.

I like food, I just don't need to know what it was, or its function, prior to me eating it!

Likes (received)

Not much posted to this thread recently but I think it is quite interesting.

You have to try anything at least once, more if it tastes ok.

Have had a variety of "world" foods. Amongst them:

Haggis- great taste
    Oyster- salty snot
    Live sashimi- fantastic taste, but strange sensation watching the eye glass over as you eat its back !!
    Reindeer- tasted better smoked
    Alligator- tastes a little like chicken
    Squid- chewy but ok

There are lots more, whenever I travel I make it a point to try at least one local delicacy, this is a great way to widen your horizons.
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Alacoque Guest

Wow, what a wealth of food information. I'm going to Japan in November(first time) and I'm really really looking forward to trying out all the new(to me) food. Almost as much as the training! But we are no strangers to offal in Ireland, as with any peasant cuisine every single bit of nutrition had to be gotten out of the precious livestock. Tripe (sheeps stomach lining) is a delicacy boiled in milk with onions, black pudding is a blood sausage popularly served for breakfast and pigs trotters(feet)were considered delicious after a feed of Guinness.
    On the subject of fat however, Lardo from northern Italy is absolutely delicious. It's a piece of fat from the stomach of pig that has been cured with salt and herbs and when it is served wafer thin on slices of hot toast it's fab. Another unusual food from Italy is Sardinian worm cheese which is a type of hard sheeps milk cheese that has been left to rot until maggotts develop and these impart a unique flavour. I've eaten it and it's not too bad.
    In Italy they also eat tuna sperm and for anybody who wants to order it, check out http://www.esperya.com which is an excellent Italian food site.
    Must Go,
    Alacoque Meehan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast