Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Follow-up books?

Likes (received)

Default Follow-up books?

Maybe somewhat off-topic, but I am really interested in the following questions:

I have heard or read somewhere that this is an introductionary book, and that other books will be published, each focussing on one of the five main aspects of Shinkendo.

Is this true? And if it is: what will the next book's focus be?

My last question is:
    Are there any plans for books about Aiki Buken?
    Menno van Slooten
    http://www.shinkendo.nl

Likes (received)

Hello,

Sorry for the slow reply!

This book was intended to serve as an introduction to shinkendo.

Our art has a basic training structure we call "gorin goho gogyo". An image of this structure can be viewed here (we can't display images in this forum):

http://www.shinkendo.com/nihongo/gorin-s.gif

These five areas are:

1) Suburi (sword swinging movements)

2) Batto-ho (combative drawing methods)

3) Tanren Kata (solo forms)

4) Tachiuchi (pre-arranged partnered sparring)

5) Tameshigiri (test cutting)

For a couple of reasons, Obata sensei has decided to write the next book on tameshigiri. It is actually finished for the most part in Japanese language, and we are working at translating it now. It should be quite interesting, and is of course something Obata sensei has extensive experience in.

It will be a massive undertaking to prepare the next book, and I for one will not be able to put nearly as much time into this one as I did the first one (for personal reasons). We have a couple of people working on it, but I suspect it will be some time before it goes to the print shop.

I don't know which area of study Obata sensei will tackle next, but I know he intends to publish reference books on all five areas of study, and I believe one on shinkendo philosophy and priniciples.

Obata sensei has resisted publishing further aikido books ("Samurai Aikijutsu" being the only one) because he feels that there are already "lots of books on aikido already". But, his students keep telling him that his aikido is different than that of other popular teachers, and that it would be great to see him do something comprehensive on the subject. We'll see.

Unfortunately, everything takes time (and money!), and at this point the seniors in shinkendo and aiki buken are mostly concerned with documenting as much of his methods as we possibly can while there is still the opporutunity.

Thanks for the question,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default Fute books

Osu,

I read and have a copy of Mr. Obata's book on aikido. I especially enjoyed reading the background and short bio's on past instructors.

I can easily understand why he refuses to work on another aikido book.

Please keep me posted when the 'sword-test cutting' book is available in English.

Amtonio Bustillo
    Coral gables, Fl.

Likes (received)

Hello Mr. Bustillo,

Thanks for your note - I'm glad you've enjoyed sensei's writings.

The most organized and comprehensive training biography on Obata sensei so far is in the first "Shinkendo" book. But there are bits and pieces in all of his books (and on our home page).

We will of course post announcements here and on our web page when future projects are finished.

Osu,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default Thanks

I will definitely look into it.

Osu,

A. Bustillo