Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yamanne-Ryu

Likes (received)

Default Yamanne-Ryu

Does anybody in this forum practice Yamanne-Ryu Kobujutsu? I practice this style and I absolutely love it. I would love to discuss technique and kata with other dedicated practitioners. If you study another style perhaps we can explore some of the differences among Okinawan, Japanese, and Chinese weapons systems.

If you are interested in an overview of this style, check out the site Oshirodojo.com
    Paul Adamson: Supreme Soke Grandmaster of... not even myself

Likes (received)

I know that one of you is a Yamanne-Ryu guy, anybody else?

Likes (received)

Howdy Neighbor,

How did Yamanni Chinen Ryu find its way to Indiana ?

Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

The ghost of Chinen Sanda showed me the bouncing bo secret in a dream. He said that if I practiced hard, I could be better than him!

Likes (received)

Default Just kiddin' around!

The Kishaba Yamanne (or i) Chinen Ryu lineage has been actively taught in this country for the last 20 or so years. So it's not suprising to find some people out here in "hog country" actively studying this martial art. I'm certainly not the expert around here, I'm only a student. But there is an expert close to here.

Likes (received)

Sorry, I should also add that it is with Kishaba Sensei's group the RB Kenkyu Doyukai under the national direction of Oshiro Sensei, not a seperate group.

Likes (received)

Hi Paul,
    I study Yamanni Ryu in New England.
    Regards,
    Brian Dunham
    MSR SanShinKai

Likes (received)

Thank you to those of you that have contacted me privately letting me know who you are and getting to know you a little bit. Anybody else practice YR?

Likes (received)

I didn't reply before because you knew that I practice Yamane Ryu.

Rob

Likes (received)

Default Kiyoshi Nishime Sensei - Cincinnati, Ohio

Paul,

I am a Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinkokai practitioner under the instruction of Devorah Dometrich Sensei. Our system includes many of the Yamnni-Ryu kata as taught to Taira Shinken by the Higas, Akamine Yohei and others. That said, our respective bojutsu are now quite different from one another. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

Do you train with Kiyoshi Nishime Sensei of Cincinnati? If you are not aware of him, I believe he was a contemporary and friend of Oshiro Sensei's at Kishaba Sensei's dojo. You may want to look him up. If you'd like, I can provide his contact information.

Regards,
    Doug Daulton

Likes (received)

Default Cool!

Hi Doug,

I have to admit that I am utterly IGNORANT of other orthodox Okinawan weapons systems. Not that I want to be, I just have never explored beyond what I have seen in this country. One day hopefully, I will be to a point where I can look out of Yamanne Ryu to compare/contrast and explore.

Maybe you could help us out a little bit and give us some background to your style? That would be really cool.

Likes (received)

Default Re: Cool!

Originally posted by PingAnTu ... I have to admit that I am utterly IGNORANT of other orthodox Okinawan weapons systems. Not that I want to be, I just have never explored beyond what I have seen in this country. One day hopefully, I will be to a point where I can look out of Yamanne Ryu to compare/contrast and explore.
    Paul,

I think you are on the right track. It is best to get a solid base in one art before doing a compare/contrast with others. IMO, jumping around too early can be very confusing and lead to an undecipherable mishmash of technique, not much of which is genuinely useful.
    Originally posted by PingAnTu ... Maybe you could help us out a little bit and give us some background to your style? That would be really cool.
    Rather than going in to a great deal of exposition here, I'll point you at some readily available resources ... <ul><li><a href="http://www.ryukyu-kobudo.org">Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinkokai - US Honbu</a><br> Taira --> Akamine --> Dometrich Lineage <br><br><li><a href="http://www.rkagb.com">Ryukyu Kobujutsu Hozon Shinkokai - UK Honbu</a><br>Taira --> Inoue --> Mead Lineage</ul> As mentioned in my previous post, the system was compiled by Taira Shinken. After his death, the school split into two camps. These two websites represent the two foremost Western components of each of the respective camps.

Both websites contain biographies on the primary teachers of the art. In addition to these websites, I've also recently been fortunate to have a biography of Taira Sensei published in the latest edition of Dragon Times.

This article also includes information on Taira's influence on the weapons study found in several prominent karate ryuha, most notably Isshin-ryu and Shito-ru (Hayashi-ha & Itosu-kai). If you are interested, you can get a copy at Borders bookstore or order it from http://www.dragon-tsunami.org.

Generally, I would also include a link to Mario McKenna's excellent website, Okinawa Shinshukai. However a quick search indicates that it is offline for some reason. So, I'll drop Mario a line and see where he's moved it.

That should give you a good solid background on our system. If you have any questions, just post them in this forum or drop me an e-mail.

Regards,
    Last edited by Doug Daulton; 21st June 2001 at 01:43.
    Doug Daulton

Likes (received)

Doug,

Thanks for the info! I've checked out these sights (well one of them because the other one got hacked into by Chinese cyber-terrorists!). Lots of good information. I also just read Macarthey's work on Taira Shinken. I looked at the kata pictures and they are very similar to Yamanni ryu kata.

Thanks again.

Hi Paul,

I too study Yamanni-Ryu, I have been a student of Oshiro Sensei for only a short period of time but love it also.
    How long have you been studying Yamanni-Ryu?

Paul Snader

Likes (received)

Originally posted by PingAnTu --- ... well one of them because the other one got hacked into by Chinese cyber-terrorists.
    Paul,

Glad I could help. Check back with Dometrich Sensei's site. All of thi historical info is still present, even after the hack.

Regards,
    Doug Daulton

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast