Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Additional notes and corrections

Likes (received)

Default Additional notes and corrections

Following is a note I posted elsewhere regarding the purpose of the "Shinkendo - Japanese Swordsmanship" book and in particular, a few typos:

Please be advised that this book is primarily written as a reference for current students of Shinkendo, and secondarily as an introduction of the art to those not already familiar with us.

That being said, there is substantial information about Shinkendo and Japanese Swordsmanship in general that is touched upon in this first in a series of volumes detailing our art, and as such I believe it would be a welcome asset to any Budoka's collection.

Lastly, while every book has it's share of typos, there are two errors in particular that I feel compelled to make readers aware of:

1) Pg. 21; second line. The current sentance reads "3. Katana: Usually less than 2 shaku...".

This line should read "3. Katana: Usually more than 2 shaku...".

2) Pg. 177; eighth line/ Pg. 50; fifteenth line. The current sentance includes the translation "-"sparrow cut".

This translation should read "swallow cut" (sorry - this one is all my fault! I still confuse these *@%! birds!)

I apologize for this error. It is my hope that purchaser's of this book will benefit from it's content, and seek professional instruction in addition to referencing non-direct instructional resources such as this one.

Those of you that already own copies, please write in these corrections!

Thanks,
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 11th July 2001 at 21:21.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)