Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question for Mr. Dave Lowry

Likes (received)

Question Question for Mr. Dave Lowry

From your book Autumn Lightning:
    "Then sensei took me into the backyard where he had set up an old automobile tire fixed to a wooden frame, with the top of the tire about waist level."

My iaido instructor has constructed a similar device, and we were both wondering if there is a traditional Japanese term for it or if it was a unique invention of your teacher.
    Thank you.
    If you understand, things are just as they are...
    If you do not understand, things are just as they are.
    -Zen proverb

Likes (received)

I doubt if this is an invention of any one person in particular. In the kendo dojo in Japan where I trained with the riot squad police, they had a similar setup, but their version consisted of two tires hung on a heavy counter-weighted metal frame, one tire at head height (for practicing men strokes), and the other at waist height (for practicing do and kote strokes). My iai teacher also had me practice nukitsuke against it using a bokken with saya to improve my mechanics and striking power.

I don't recall a particular name for it, but I suppose you could call it an "uchikomi dai" or something similar.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Default Curious

I have heard of this but never seen it. How do you use the tool effectively? You just strike it with bokken to develop speed, power, hasuji...?

Likes (received)

Dear Folks:

In Kumdo we also use a very similar arrangement with the upper target (tire) to accept mori (head) strikes and the lower tire to accept somok (wrist) strikes. The tool of choice at our school is the juk-to (shinai) for these drills with an eye towards becoming more facile at balancing striking power with mobility. As I train in a bit more traditional manner, much of what I do is aligned towards hyung (form) training. Occassionally I use the mok-guem (bokken) on this target albeit with only moderate power but this is an exception in our training. I have also constructed a similar target at home for about $60 which has been a faithful "partner" with which to examine various techniques and generally experiment with the material I have absorbed in class.

Does the target have a name? The head instructor identifies it as "target" and practice with this item is called "target-chigi"("target-striking").

Best Wishes,
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Dear Mr. Townsend,
    The device I described is not at all unique. As others have explained, it's a common piece of training equipment.

As I recall, I think we referred to it as a tanren uchi dai. Something like that. Another version of it is to make a pair of X-shaped frames across which are laid bundles of green branches. The branches give with the force of the strike. You can see examples of these in Saito's Traditional Aikido, if I recall correctly.

I was a skinny little kid at the time and in addition to the exercise, it taught me the importance of a correct grip. Feedback is immediate when striking hard rubber. It is not an integral part of training in any koryu I know of, however.

Cordially,
    Dave Lowry

arioch Guest

Default US Army manual for Bayonet Drills

For something very much like what you decribe go find a copy of the US Army Baynot training manual (it includes examples of construction).

For your effort you get head, arm, shoulder and stomach strike points AND an "arm" which simulates a rifle with bayonet (or bushi with katana...if you squint).

Rob Lowry

Likes (received)

Question

This is device sounds very interesting. If it is not too much trouble can anyone forward advice to me on constructing such a training tool.
    Derrick I. Wallace
    Head & Neck Surgeon
    Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

Likes (received)

Derrick:

I would be very happy to provide you with guidance in constructing the sort of target that we/I use for Kumdo. It would also make a reasonably decent target for training with other weapons and I have seen at least one of my students use it --- ala makiwara-- for both kicking and striking (though I must share that we are not sure that Terry's not perhaps one or two punches shy of a complete kata-- if you know what I mean. :-) ) You will need about $60 in materials but will have a truely durable piece of equiptment.

Best Wishes,
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Exclamation coolll!!

Hi i'm most impress that such a think do exist, i thought there was no way to train my power on hitting besides buying a tameshigiri -yo or a kendogu.
    is possible i could see a picture or at least a drawing diagram on how it work or how it looks like. you can e-mail me or just post an image here for all of us to see it.

Pablo Rosado
    Independent sword