Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Orlando Tai Kai

Mike Soriero Guest

Wink Orlando Tai Kai

Hello Animo. Great Job on the Tai Kai webpage. I'm looking forward to competing and attending the upcoming seminars. I heard that Guy Power Sensei may be conducting seminars as well as Hataya Sensei, and Ueki Sensei. Well, I'm gonna go register before they all fill up! Talk to you soon. ~Mike S.

Likes (received)

Hello Deadeye. Don't forget we also have McClafferty Sensei and Taylor Sensei teaching. Mr McClafferty has a wide range of experience in 4 different swords styles, 1 of which is unheard of in this country, Sekiguichi Ryu. And Dr. Kim Taylor, well known as the modertor with a sense of humor on Iai do L knows 2 different sword styles that I am aware of. I am not sure what each will be teaching but you an check it out on www.toyama-ryu.com. I would like to add that if you ( or anyone else) in interested in attending any of the seminars, signup soon. Once they are full, that's it. We have folks coming from as far as Kansas for the seminars only! Now that's heavy artillery! Bob Elder
    Rich and Stress Free

Likes (received)

Default Seminar Status

Hey Mike,

It is looking like we might be adding a few seminars by Guy Power Sensei. The details have to be worked out, but I think it should happen this week. I did some negotiating and got three more seminars with Ueki Sensei, Hataya Sensei, and Sakaida Sensei scheduled. Two of the original seminars are filled, and there are only a few openings left in some of the others. You can now get the latest seminar attendance on the competitors page of the website at http://www.toyama-ryu.com. I have been updating the website with new data on a daily basis. I have included the latest data from the website.

Animo

Openings
    1 Ueki Sensei tameshigiri seminar
    9 Ueki Sensei ZNBDR seitei kata seminar A - NEW
    0 Ueki Sensei ZNBDR seitei kata seminar B
    0 Hataya Sensei tameshigiri seminar A
    4 Hataya Sensei tameshigiri seminar B - NEW
    3 Hataya Sensei kata seminar
    11 Sakaida Sensei kata seminar - NEW
    6 McClafferty kumitachi seminar
    4 McClafferty SGR Batto Jutsu seminar
    6 Taylor Sensei ZNKR seitei kata seminar
    6 Taylor Sensei MJER Iaido seminar

Ueki Sensei ZNBDR seitei kata seminar

Ueki Sensei will teach the Zen Nihon Batto-Do Renmei (All Japan Batto-Do Association) seitei kata. This class is recommended for advanced students. The seitei kata are a standard set of kata developed for competition between students of different styles. They are recommended for the nidan and above divisions.

Ueki Sensei tameshigiri seminar

Hataya Sensei will teach Toyama Ryu cutting patterns. This class is intended for the more advanced student who has done some test cutting. Dodan, Nami-gaeshi, and Inazuma will be covered. Other cutting patterns may also be included as time permits. Students will need to supply their own cutting sword. The sword must pass a safety inspection before the seminar. Each student may buy and cut up to 8 tatami targets (An extra 4 targets may be purchased for Dodan cutting).

Hataya Sensei kata seminar

Hataya Sensei will teach the eight basic Toyama Ryu kata. This class is intended to help beginners learn the kata and more advanced students polish their technique. Toyama Ryu Batto Do is a Japanese sword art established in 1923. It was formed by a committee, the senior authority being Nakayama Hakudo who was the 16th soke of the Shimomura-faction of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu iaido. This art draws its techniques and philosophy from the expert swordsmen and their styles of that era. It embodies the art of drawing and using the single sword from a standing posture. It teaches not only drawing and cutting techniques, but also the mental and spiritual aspects which governed the daily lives of swordsmen long ago.

Hataya Sensei tameshigiri seminar

Hataya Sensei will teach Toyama Ryu cutting patterns. This class is intended for the more advanced student who has done some test cutting. Godan-giri and Rokudan-giri with katana and wakizashi will be covered. Other cutting patterns may also be included as time permits. Students will need to supply their own cutting sword. The sword must pass a safety inspection before the seminar. Each student may buy and cut up to 8 tatami targets.

Sakaida Sensei kata seminar

Sakaida Sensei will teach the eight basic Toyama Ryu kata. This class is intended to help students with some Toyama Ryu experience polish their technique. Toyama Ryu Batto Do is a Japanese sword art established in 1923. It was formed by a committee, the senior authority being Nakayama Hakudo who was the 16th soke of the Shimomura-faction of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu iaido. This art draws its techniques and philosophy from the expert swordsmen and their styles of that era. It embodies the art of drawing and using the single sword from a standing posture. It teaches not only drawing and cutting techniques, but also the mental and spiritual aspects which governed the daily lives of swordsmen long ago.

McClafferty Sensei Sekiguichi Ryu Batto Jutsu seminar

Shin Shin Sekiguichi Ryu Batto Jutsu was founded by Sekiguichi Yahoumen Uji Nari in 1550 A.D. The art existed in every major castle in Japan. During the Satsuma/Meiji government battle, most of the castle Sekiguichi Shihan Dai sided with the Satsuma, except for the Higo Castle Shihan Dai. When the Satsuma lost, the Meiji government banned the public teaching of SGR Batto Jutsu everywhere but at the Higo Castle area. Carl McClafferty (Chuden Menkyo in SGR) is the first foreigner authorized by Yamada Sensei to run a renmei outside of Japan.

McClafferty Sensei kumitachi seminar

Sword on Sword technique and body movement in kumitachi within the Kobukai. Students must have bokuto/bokken for this seminar.

Taylor Sensei ZNKR seitei kata seminar

The All Japan Kendo Federation uses a set of ten iaido kata called Zen Ken Ren Iai or seitei gata iai. The ten kata are taken from several iaido styles.

Participants in this course will enhance their knowledge of techniques unique to the ZKR iai, and develop a better understanding of the general principles of swordsmanship applicable to any dojo of any school of Japanese swordsmanship.

Taylor Sensei Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu Iaido seminar

Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu is one of the oldest traditions of iai, going back to the founder Hayashizaki Jinsuke Shigenobu almost 400 years ago. The school was codified by the 17th headmaster Oe Masamichi at the beginning of this century. Students in this course will be exposed to the fundamental aspects of the sword and its use according to this school.

Requirements: Participants will require loose clothing. Iaito are encouraged, and live blades are allowed with permission of the instructor. Those with no iaito are allowed to use bokuto (boken), and some will be on hand for use and sale if desired. Beginners are welcome to this course.
    Mike Femal