Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Go Faq / Links

jeffbruner Guest

Okay.... I'd like to learn Go and I've checked most of the links posted here for freeware/shareware games but they are all PC format.

Anyone know of a MAC version?

Thanks.

-totalMAChead,

-JB

A. M. Jauregui Guest

Default Mac Go

http://sente.epfl.ch/software/goban/
    Seems like a well made Mac compatible version of Go.

Also on a friend’s Mac yahoo games worked well enough.

jeffbruner Guest

Thanks A.M.!

BTW, the link was to a version for OSX, which I have yet to adopt, but there were also links on that site to versions that where compatible with older OSs.

Now if I could only figure out what it all means! I don't understand how the game works yet....

Likes (received)

Jeff, follow the link to the Sensei's library I gave in this thread. From the front page there, choose the Beginner Study Section. Go through it slowly, playing games to familiarise yourself with how it works. Hopefully, you'll make it through 4-5 sections there in a few days or weeks, depending.

Regards,
    Sebastien Leclair

Likes (received)

I second SLeclair's advice to check sensei's. There is a lot of good information there. Another good site to learn the basics is http://playgo.to/interactive/ . Enjoy.

jeffbruner Guest

Thanks all.. I'm learning....

Likes (received)

Wink Sensei's Library

Howdy,

Thanks for adding the link to Sensei's library. I'm not sure when it started, but I barely found it recently.

It's not my favorite Go site on the net (I'm kind'uva Go snob ), but it does have alot of useful info.

Enjoy!

mikehansen

Simon Fraser Guest

You can also play over a longer time scale by visiting Dragon Go Server

Likes (received)

Geez! Now look what you've gone and done! Here I was perusing the boards looking for things to support my upcoming test to Shodan in karate and I find myself starting as a 30th kyu in another discipline!

Might I be so bold as to recommend the American Go Association web site? If you take a quick look around you will find a nice little book in PDF format called The Way to Go by Karl Baker. Good place for a beginner to start. It even includes some Proverbs for beginners that will help.
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Likes (received)

Arrow

Blackwood,

30 kyu? Ah, no worries improvement comes fast! There a few sticking spots along the way to shodan, but that is a ways off for you. With all the resources widely available now and depending on age, it may be possible to get to shodan in less time that it has taken you with your karate.

Keep playing and welcome to Go!!

Enjoy!

mikehansen

Likes (received)

Post SmartGo

Howdy,

Allow me to add SmartGo to the list of computer Go programs. The player program is fairly strong (particularly at 9x9). The SmartGo viewer program is an excellent resource for studying, recording and viewing games. Very powerful study tool. One of the best out there (if not the best). Anders (the programmer) is constantly improving SmartGo and I foresee that SmartGo will soon be the standard resource software for Go.

http://www.smartgo.com/

Enjoy!

mikehansen

Likes (received)

Well, I started with the The Way to Go from the web site above. Spent some time wandering around Sensei's Library. I have Ego on my Palm, only a 9x9 and can routinely beat the computer a majority of the time with or without as much as a four stone handicap. I've loaded the freeware igowin on my PC and play the 9x9 on it. I have gotten as high as 14 kyu, but average around 17-18 most of the time.

Finally got KGS up and running. I have now played 5 games of Go, Japanese rules. I've been ranked at 17?, though I have yet to win a game. I have gotten some compliments on my starting game, but I have real difficulty seeing atari much of the time.

Players have been very helpful. My first opponent was in Viet Nam! I have gotten some useful tips and suggestions.
    Respectfully

Likes (received)

Steadily losing games, though I did win one two nights ago! Unfortunately it wasn't a ranked game, so I didn't stop my slide. I'm down to 21k now, but everyone I've played on KGS has been very helpful pointing out some of the techniques to work on.

I'm still struggling with the territory vs. pieces concept. It just seems to take over my moves!
    Respectfully

Likes (received)

Is there any Go Tournaments, in the US. I am curious, and I want to learn to play it. I heard it was fun, and more challenging than Chess.
    “To every man there comes a in his lifetime that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing unique to him and fitted to his talent; what a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.”
    Sir Winston Churchill

Matthew Gehrke

Likes (received)

Arrow U.S. Go Tournaments

Matthew,

There are many tournaments in the U.S. Alot depends on where you are located.

Here is a current list for the next couple of months by the American Go Association (AGA) (a link at the bottom can be accessed for uptodate lists):

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

January 15: Kalamazoo, MI
    KZoo's 2nd Go Tournament
    Benjamin Schooley 989-287-0123 benjaminschooley@hotmail.com
    htto://votar.org/kgc/tourney.html

January 15: Seattle, WA
    Mid Winter Tournament
    Jon Boley 206-545-1424 jon@seattlegocenter.org

January 15: Columbus, OH
    1st Annual Ohayocon Tournament
    elvenflare@aol.com

January 15-17: Evanston, IL
    6th Annual Winter Workshop
    Yang Yilun 7 Dan
    Mark Rubenstein 847-869-6020 mark@evanstongoclub.org

January 15-18: Belchertown, MD
    Guo Juan Workshop
    Bill Saltman 413-323-8658 b1saltman@charter.net

January 16: Somerville, MA
    MGA Winter Handicap Touranament
    Zack Grossbart 617-497-1232 zack@grossbart.com
    http://www.massgo.org

January 22: Richmond, VA
    The Slate and Shell Open
    William Cobb 804-740-2191 wmscobb@comcast.net

January 29: Denver, CO
    Rocky Mountain Winter Tournament
    U. Tamm 303-466-2865 utamm@worldnet.att.net

February 26 & 27: Princeton, NJ
    New Jersey Open (NOTE CORRECTED DATES!)
    Rick Mott 609-466-1602 rickmott@alumni.princeton.edu

February 6: Seattle, WA
    Monthly Ratings Tournament
    Jon Boley 206-545-1424 jon@seattlegocenter.org

March 17-20: Germantown, MD
    10th Annual Maryland Yang Workshop
    Gordon Fraser 301-540-2640 gordon@wui.net

This is a digest of events for the next month only; for a complete listing see the Tournament Calendar on the AGA website: http://www.usgo.org/usa/tournaments.asp
    For the European Go Calendar see http://www.european-go.org/TOURNAMENTS/TListbyDate.htm

BTW, many go clubs have club tournaments too. Check out the AGA homepage for a list of Go clubs near you: http://www.usgo.org

Enjoy!

Mike Hansen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast