Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Old School Kendo

Likes (received)

Thank you Mr. Hartman for clearing up my misunderstanding.

I am a complete beginner at kendo. I started practicing only a few weeks ago here in Korea. Before anyone jumps down my throat about the whole kendo/kumdo thing, let me say that the other students will use the word kendo on occasion.

Now that I think about it, I've seen a couple of people get hit in the throat during practice, and it didn't look like much fun. I can see why seniors frown on lower ranking students using a technique that could result in serious injury.

Kendo is very different from in philosophy and technique from my previous weapons training in escrima, but I enjoy it all the same. Watching the advanced students fence I definitely see appreciate the emphasis on a training a strong spirit.

Tim Fong

Likes (received)

Good for you, Mr. Fong! Ya know, accidents happen, too. One of the dangers of the kote strike is that, after the strike, your seme is supposed to be focused on tsuki (which is sort of your focal point the whole time). In other words, you cut the wrist, but the shinai sort of "bounces up" into tsuki. Sometimes, without meaning to, the tip of the shinai bounces up and under the tsuki and inside the men and gives your practice partner what we call a "kendo hickey."

Which is not as bad as going for do and getting up under the tare and into your sempai's package. Yes, it happened to me! How embarassing; my buddy dropped like a stone. Usually, tare saves us from an embarassing blow to the jewels or thighs, but I, er, got lucky this time.

KendoShiai Guest

We always trained that the Tsuki, although a valid point, was not truly intended as a strike. We were taught that you use it to start your motion to make your opponent backup a step then strike. If he was not paying attention then the point was made. But for all intentions, it was a waza of all motion. Kind of like saying hey if you don’t backup I will stick you in the Tsuki, see I told you I would stick you in the Tsuki if you didn’t backup. Also that was a very good point about pointing to the Tsuki after a Kote strike. In all basic movements (even Kendo Kata) the tip should be pointing at the opponent’s Tsuki.

KendoShiai Guest

All so just relized for any of you around the Charlotte, NC area, on October the 20-21 there will be a South East Uninted States Kendo Federation Tournament in Charlotte, NC. I will allso post a notice in the proper thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4