Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kito ryu jujutsu

Likes (received)

Default Kyu ? Degree

Yep Kyu.... Sorry...

Likes (received)

Default Kito Ryu Books/Info?

I was wonderring if anybody knows of Kito Ryu Books online for sale and if anyone could tell me if not just a little about the style.

The reason I ask is that I am taking one on one instruction in Kito Ryu next week and I was hoping to find out more outside of class.

Thankyou
    Matthew Johnson

Mekugi Guest

There is a Kito Ryu video by BAB out there one could dig up online.

Additionally, there are two schools that be the same name; One is a "jujutsu" that most are familiar with and the other is weapons-based.

As far as I know there are no dojo outside of Japan studying either, unless things have changed.

-Russ

Quote Originally Posted by fixidies
    I was wonderring if anybody knows of Kito Ryu Books online for sale and if anyone could tell me if not just a little about the style.

The reason I ask is that I am taking one on one instruction in Kito Ryu next week and I was hoping to find out more outside of class.

Thankyou

Likes (received)

Thats strange, because I am currently at an officially recognised jujutsu dojo and the former teacher (retired now) used to train Kito ryu Jujutsu under the man who is offerring me private lessons in that exact style.
    I'll take that on board however, it has put some doubt in me. This man says he has trained police, security even military. I will wait and see what class is like to be sure for myself. I'll get back to you on that.
    Matthew Johnson

Mekugi Guest

I believe this all depends on whether we are talking about the koryu jujutsu school or something else. If it is claiming to be a koryu, then it needs a pedigree. If that is not the case then all bets are off and it's historical accuracy is of no consequence (nor does it need to be IMHO).

Thats strange, because I am currently at an officially recognised jujutsu dojo and the former teacher (retired now) used to train Kito ryu Jujutsu under the man who is offerring me private lessons in that exact style.

Likes (received)

The teacher says he has a family lineage tree that dates back to the 17th century which he will show me plus some books. He says that training in Kito Ryu also gives up to green belt ranking in Kodokan Judo. He says that Kancho came to my country in the 50s after training extensivley in Japan, where the Honbu dojo is. To me this sounds legitimate. How about you?
    Also does the origional Kito ryu include anything other than Jujutsu ?
    Matthew Johnson

Likes (received)

The Judo Green belt thing to me doesn't sound right just because when I was learning Judo green belt really wasn't a rank. The first somewhat recognized rank was Sankyu which was a brown belt. We had a yellow and a green belt but they were kid's ranks. Nothing that would require recognition.

Green Belt was sort of a dojo thing.
    Ed Boyd

Mekugi Guest

The teacher says he has a family lineage tree that dates back to the 17th century which he will show me plus some books. He says that training in Kito Ryu also gives up to green belt ranking in Kodokan Judo. He says that Kancho came to my country in the 50s after training extensivley in Japan, where the Honbu dojo is. To me this sounds legitimate. How about you?
    Also does the origional Kito ryu include anything other than Jujutsu ?
    Lineage charts and books don't prove much to me. I have charts and books up the wazoo, but that proves nothing. I think this is coming from Kiyose Nakae who claimed to teach it after WWII. What needs to be shown is a teaching license or permission to teach, usually from Japan, otherwise it is not koryu jujutsu. Yes there is another branch of Kito Ryu that does weapons. It is not related to the one you are talking about which is all grappling.
    Last edited by Mekugi; 3rd June 2006 at 15:04.

Likes (received)

But they have a honbu dojo IN Japan? Doesnt that mean anything?
    If you get a ranking in Kodokan Judo, doesnt that mean it is the Kito Ryu (Which Judo comes from)? Also , it doesnt have to be (if it isn't) Koryu Jujutsu for it be kicka55 Japanese Jujutsu, does it?
    Matthew Johnson

Mekugi Guest

But they have a honbu dojo IN Japan? Doesnt that mean anything?
    I'm sorry, I am afraid I don’t understand who you are saying has a hombu in Japan.
    If it is Kito ryu, then yes that is true- from last I head it was a sports center they were training at (at least the branch I am thinking of).

Now, whether the group in the USA is/was affiliated or not is another thing. What is in the USA could be something entirely different, having no connection to the Kito Ryu practiced here in Japan (the Kito Ryu that is in Kodokan Judo is a bit different, as well.)

If this is a branch that officially extends from Japan, then none of this applies. If it's not then all of it applies, I would reckon.
    Any any event, the people involved should have contacts here, and it should be easily verifiable. If not, and if I were them, I would attempt to get some. That seems like the right thing to do, IMHO. That or change the name of the school.

If you get a ranking in Kodokan Judo, doesnt that mean it is the Kito Ryu (Which Judo comes from)?
    No, it does not mean that.That is pretty much like saying since I have a drivers license for a car, I should be able to drive a semi-truck, a motorcycle or a boat. You need separate licenses for those- the same idea applies here. Having a dan rank in Judo does not mean you have rank in Kito Ryu, Tenjin Shinyo Ryu or any of the ryuha that formulated the Kodokan Judo kata in the early 1900's. This is probably the driving idea behind the official name "Kodokan Judo", which seperates it from Kito ryu entirely.

Also , it doesnt have to be (if it isn't) Koryu Jujutsu for it be kicka55 Japanese Jujutsu, does it?
    It doesn't have to be koryu to be good, that's a fact. That was/is not the subject I am talking about. There are plenty of good gendai budo out there, of course they call themselves gendai budo...not koryu bujutsu (if they don't well, that is another thing altogether.) I have no idea what is being taught, so really I cannot comment on that! The pedigree is something else, incidentally.

-Russ
    Last edited by Mekugi; 4th June 2006 at 07:03.

Likes (received)

Thanks for your input Russ, I find it very helpful.
    Matthew Johnson

Mekugi Guest

Sure. I just hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes here. I mean no harm and come in peace....and not in the "Mars Attacks" sense.

Thanks for your input Russ, I find it very helpful.

Likes (received)

Hah, no worries.
    Matthew Johnson

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Last Address I have for Kito Ryu Japan

All interested parties,

For those who wish to know or do research here are some contacts. Took me a bit of time to dig these out of storage but here they are. The address is a little old now but I presume it still active.

Uchino Sensei

131-1 Kamizaki-cho
    Okyama-shi, Okyama-ken
    701-41

Otherwise try the following:

Nippon Kobudo (3) 3216-5000

NKPA (Nihin Kobudo Promotion Association (3) 3216-5114
    (they include at least one branch of the Kito Ryu)

Cheers,

Don

Likes (received)

Default Kiro Ryu Address

OPPS....Spelt Okayama wrong

Uchino Sensei

131-1 Kamizaki-cho
    Okayama-shi, Okayama-ken
    701-41

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2