Likes Likes:  0

Thread: BOOK: The Okinawa Program

Likes (received)

Default BOOK: The Okinawa Program

I was recently introduced to this text. It is the culmination of 25 years of research into the lifestyle (dietary, spiritual, physical activity) which makes the Okinawan people the longest-lived and most-active-late-in-life people in the world.

I've just begun reading it. Has anyone else here read it? If so, would you care to share your thoughts? I'll post a review once I have completed it.

Regards,
    Doug Daulton

Likes (received)

Default The okinawan program

hi There,

Im a little new to e budo, so wanted to introduce myself, Im Jim neeter in UK. good to meet you all !

Yep I am on my third reading of the book, it is superb and has given me reason to make some changes in my life -

1. start drinking green T regulary
    2. look at my diet in more depth, natural unrefined foods being good
    3. include 'spirirtuality' into my life, a little meditation every day

Thats the obvious stuff i can think off. Its a fasinating book IMO and worth every penny. Whats nice about it is that it is detailed but not overly scientific/analytical - an easy read.

My martial arts has a 'wellness' part and these simple changes in my life help with 'life protection', its all karate!
    Rgds,

Jim Neeter
    Shorin Ryu Seito Matsumura Karate and Kobudo UK
    www.shoshinkanuk.org

Likes (received)

It has been discussed by some of my dojo mates, and good things were said about it. I actually had a discussion about the eating habits and naps with Hanshi.
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Likes (received)

The book I have is 'the okinawan Way', essentially the same thing i think as it includes the program research results.

Its superb IMO and really sums up the okinawna view on life, considering i havent visited I feel that with this book and discussions with my instructors that have then im getting the next best thing to spending extended time on the islands.

It gives basic, simple, easy to impliment tips and advice for improving our lifestyles, health and longevity - good karate IMO. it also highlights the unique okinawan culture, which I find fascinating.
    Rgds,

Jim Neeter
    www.shoshinkanuk.org

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Daulton
    I was recently introduced to this text. It is the culmination of 25 years of research into the lifestyle (dietary, spiritual, physical activity) which makes the Okinawan people the longest-lived and most-active-late-in-life people in the world.

I've just begun reading it. Has anyone else here read it? If so, would you care to share your thoughts? I'll post a review once I have completed it.

Regards,

I bought the book when I was in Okinawa last time. It’s an excellent book that has been well researched.
    Funny thing is the older Okinawans follow a fairly low-carb, low processed food diet. The younger generation is following the same patterns as western society and eating total junk so diabetes is on the rise in Okinawa.
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

[B][I]Yeah, I’m humble…..I’m just not obsequious--- me [/I][/B]
    [B][I]Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge --- Plato[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Likes (received)

Smile

Thanks for the reference, I just purchased this book on amazon.com... They have more used ones for around 6.50 us dollars if anyone is looking.... I hope this is not advertising?
    All My Best,

Todd Wayman

"…since karate is a martial art, you must practice with the utmost seriousness from the very beginning."

- G. Funakoshi, Karate-Do Nyumon, 1943

Likes (received)

Money well spent if you are looking for a broad, sensible view on living a good life.
    Rgds,

Jim Neeter
    www.shoshinkanuk.org

Likes (received)

I have this book and always tell any of my health-interested friends about it. I don't use it as a specific diet plan per se. I use it more for the nutritional information and facts that it contains. It is very useful for those "new" to the world of nutrition and can provide helpful guidelines.

Of course, I'm the guy who gave up junk food (rare instances of alcohol in moderation every now and then excepted) about six years ago so I've always been interested in health.

I'm also a big believer in soy and all that (soy milk and tofu are daily items on my menu). I don't eat meat very often (in a Catholic sense...I eat fish), perhaps only once every couple of months or so.

I also take Pharmanex supplements and vitamins daily on the advice of someone I respect highly (and some research on my own).

At any rate, the Okinawa Program is something I highly recommend for someone who wants to be more health conscious. Again, I don't follow the diet per se, I just use it for useful nutritional info. Some of it seems to be a rather Procrustean bed to try and make everything "Okinawan", but the info is all good in my opinion.
    -John Oberle-
    Personal martial arts site:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Likes (received)

Excellent book
    Ben Wallace

Likes (received)

That does it ... can't be coincidence. I've recently run across this book every time I browse my area bookstore. I've passed it up, up til now but I'm gettin it for sure, now.