Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aikijujutsu in Japan

Andrew Brandon Guest

Smile Aikijujutsu in Japan

Hello to everyone.

I have just read the archive for this forum, lot's of useful info and some nice links. Now I am relatively inexperienced so forgive my ignorance on certain issues, but as I am in Japan, I should take the opportunity to study Martial Arts. I would like to study Daito-ryu Aiki ju jutsu and am looking for information. I have checked out the major links.

if anyone has useful information - books, videos, websites, or any other resource I would appreciate it.

Andrew Brandon

Likes (received)

Hello Mr. Brandon.

If you're staying in Tokyo, you have at least 3 possibilities of practicing Daito-ryu.

Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Mainline
    ====================
    Kondo sensei,
    Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu Hombu
    Higashi Yotsugi 2-10-15, Katsushika-Ku, Tokyo 124,
    Mainline's website

Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Roppokai
    =====================
    Okamoto sensei,
    Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Roppokai Hombu,
    Sportscenter, Bunkyo-ku, Otsuka, Tokyo
    (Myogadani subway station)
    Roppokai's website (Don't forget to click in the middle of the patch!)

Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Ogawa dojo
    =======================
    Ogawa sensei (orig. from Kodokai),
    Address in japanese at this website

Regarding books and/or videos, take a look at Aikidojournal's catalog

Good luck, and hopefuly you will find what you're looking for

- Kim Johansen

Likes (received)

Default Looking for Kodo Kai in Iwakuni

Does any one know if there is a Kodo Kai dojo around Iwakuni, or any Daito Ryu. Iwakuni is located about 40 Km south of Hokkido (SP).
    Jason B. Carrier

Likes (received)

Mr. Carrier,

Why don't you simply send a letter of inquiry to the Kodokai Honbu dojo? They are most likely the only people who would know the answer to your question.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

I will but sometime they take awhile to get back too you. However I think that since it has been a week that this will bwe my only choice
    Jason B. Carrier

Likes (received)

Default Looking for dojo in Kyoto?

Dear friends in budo,

I have recently moved to Kyoto where I will stay for about two years or so. Back home in Sweden I have mostly been training genadi jujutsu (and a very little aikido, judo and karate), but I have have all times been curious about aikijujutsu (I have participated in a few week-end Takumakai seminars in Stockholm under Umei sensei). I am now looking for a dojo in Kyoto where I can train. I am interested in either mainline daitoryu aikijujutsu (Kondo sensei) or Takumakai, since these two lines are the two I have read most about. So, please, if anyone can help me I would be most grateful!

Greetings from a warm and humid Kyoto,

Johannes
    Johannes Lundberg

Likes (received)

The Aikido of Kenji Tomiki is taught at the Kyoto Budokan saturday nights - the Shihan of Shodokan Honbu teaches most times. Not exactly Daito-ryu, its a small group mostly under 25, but perhaps that might also suit you.

It certainly is different from Aikikai.

Likes (received)

You don't have many choices in Kyoto proper. Last year there was a Westerner teaching a small Daito ryu group in Kyoto which was the only Daito ryu group I was ever aware of. This group was brought up to me in idle conversation with an employee of a budo equipment supply store I know so I forget all the details but I believe he was possibly under the Takumakai. Whether they are still meeting or not I have no idea. Anyways, your best bet would be to catch the train over to Osaka where there are several Daito ryu options, including the Takumakai which is in fact based in Osaka ( Takumakai Website ). If you catch the shinkaisoku trains the trip over to Osaka is only about 15 minutes so I would definately at least go and check them out.

Likes (received)

I'm not sure about Kyoto, but there are Roppokai groups in Osaka and Kobe:

http://www.daitoryu-roppokai.org/contact.htm

Brently Keen

Likes (received)

Default ajj in sapporo

Hi,

This is my first posting
    I figured this place was the best place to post this question.

Is There anyone out there practsing (or interested in practising)
    ajj in Sapporo, Japan? I've been here ten months and I've only met One other Gaijin doing ajj.

There's gotta be some more of us!

Oisin Bourke
    Daito ryu aikijujutsu
    Muden Juku
    Sapporo

Likes (received)

Default Looking for a dojo in Isesaki

I am about to move to Isesaki, Japan in Gunma prefecture for an extended period of time and would appriciate any information on training opportunities in or around the city. I am interested primarily in Hakko ryu and Daito ryu jujutsu, but I am interested in information about any koryu arts practiced in the area (I noticed an old post from Ellis Amdur mentioning Araki ryu in Isesaki on another thread). Thanks for any information.

Clark Quigley

Likes (received)

If you're travelling on the Takasaki line or Tobu Isezaki line, you could commute to Omiya and train at the Hakko-ryu headquarters and there could be a few shibu out there in Gunma too.

There is Araki-ryu Kempo, headed by two different instructors in the Isezaki area. Isezaki used to also have Kiraku-ryu, but that is now in Maebashi under the 19th generation headmaster, Iijima Fumio, with a Shibu in Tomioka, under Iwaii Kohaku.

You also have iai. Izezaki iaido renmei

Likes (received)

Default Threads Merged

Mr. Quigley,

I merged your thread with an existing thread on dojo in Japan, since there are very few requests for dojo in Japan.

BTW, I'm not aware of any Daito-ryu dojo in Gunma-ken, but you never know. The best thing to do would be to contact the headquarters of the DR branches you are interested in and ask them.

I travelled through Gunma-ken in 1998 (Takasaki, Maebashi, etc). Very nice area. E-budo member Bill Jensen trained in Gunma-ken for many years. You might try to contact him through the members list for more info on koyu in that area.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

My sensei studied in Gunma at the Renshinkan dojo under Inoue Sensei. Matsuda Sensei is the headmaster of the school. You might try a web search for the dojo information. (Sorry, I don't have it)
    Kelley Carter

Likes (received)

Red face Train in Osaka

Hello
    My name is Daniel and I'm from NZ. I'm new to E-budo and wish to enquire about dojo's in Osaka. My background is 2 years of Aikido but I have recently learned about Koryu Martial Arts and was hoping to explore further. Any info would be greatl appreciated

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast