Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aikijujutsu in Japan

Likes (received)

Hi Daniel,

I am a fellow kiwi who has been based in Osaka for a few years. I do Shorinji Kempo, which is very well represented here in Osaka in terms of places to train and level of teaching. Of course I might be a bit biased, but my recommendtion is to give this a try. It is not a koryu martial art, but has a number of similarities to Aikido.

Where did you train in NZ by the way? What kind of Aikido did you learn?

Regards,

Justin
    Justin August

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dankiwi
    I'm new to E-budo and wish to enquire about dojo's in Osaka.
    Were I there, I'd look up the Takumakai, the Kansai-based branch of Daito-ryu.

Good luck.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

Since you are in the aikijujutsu section I would recommend that you look at the Takumakai, Ohgami's Daibukan group and Okabayashi Shogen's Hakuhoryu, all of whom come from the same root teachings of Hisa Takuma, who was the dominant Daito-ryu teacher in the Kansai region.

Tomiki aikido (Shudokan) also has its headquarters in Osaka. Especially of interest to people who enjoy examining the connections between aikido and judo or wish to explore an early pre-war variety of aikido.

There is koryu available in Kansai as well of course. Technically most historians don't classify Daito-ryu as koryu due to the time of provable conception but its techniques are koryu like. People who are also very interested in weapons and a historical perspective appreciate koryu.

I trained with Okabayashi Shogen, who also has a few high ranking English speaking students, while I was living in Osaka. (Richard Carlow was a particularly impressive foreign student.) They also practise a modified version of the Itto-ryu sword as taught by Tokimune Takeda, whom Okabayashi also studied under. Good times.

I knew people who were training with the Takumakai where Okabayashi was once one of the senior teachers. They enjoyed their experiences as well under Mori and Kawabe sensei(s).

Nippon Shorinji Kempo is an awesome art as well. The highest ranking foreign practitioner of that art is the director of a big English conversation school who made things easy for people to get work in the chain while they were training in Osaka. Phenomenal puncher.

NSK does not resemble koryu at all but that isn't a bad thing. Lots of good things around that aren't koryu.
    Matthew Rogers
    Scarborough Martial Arts Training Group
    http://www.spiritforging.com

Likes (received)

Daniel, you need to sign every post with your full name. This can be set up automatically in your signature option. See User CP above left.

Good luck with your training,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Red face Wow Thanks

Thanks for all your replys. Very helpfull stuff.
    I have never heard of Shorinji Kempo but will defintely look into it.
    I found a couple of videos on YouTube. Interesting the stuff about shiatsu (massage). I trained in what I guess you would call Aikikai style. It was a little bit of a mixture of what my teacher had learned from travelling around.
    This was in Hamilton.

Regards
    Daniel Gibbs
    Dan Gibbs

Likes (received)

Hi Dan,

It looks like you are getting some good advice here. I don't know if you are going to learn much about any martial art from YouTube though! For Shorinji Kempo your best best is to try the official homepage. (type WSKO into any search engine and it should come up) The massage/healing techniques (correctly called seiho) are not a major part of training and only tend to be covered at higher levels by the way.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more info. I am not from the Waikato, but went to university there so am very familiar with Hamilton by the way!

Regards,

Justin
    Justin August

Likes (received)

If you are interested in connections between budo and massage Hakkoryu (Not to be confused with Hakuho-ryu) is the only way to go.

The current headmaster is really adept at the healing aspects of the arts.

Hakkoryu also descends from Daito-ryu.

Maybe you should go somewhere like wikipedia to get some basic information about these arts. Lots of good stuff there, easily found.
    Matthew Rogers
    Scarborough Martial Arts Training Group
    http://www.spiritforging.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2