Likes Likes:  20
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto-ryu

Likes (received)

Check out this link at the 8:50 mark.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, þonne he æt guðe gengan þenceð longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearað. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Thanks for the link, Josh. I'd seen clips of the waza from that documentary, but never the commentary and discussion. I liked the bit about writing your name in blood at the end of Part 1. Talk about going out in style.

-Eric
    無雙直傳英信流・日本古武道居合研究会 - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu ・ Nihon Kobudo Iai Kenkyukai
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
    here's an "interesting" website for y'all;

http://www.katorishintoryu.freeserve.co.uk/

I'm not sure why this chap occasionally changes the "shoden" of tenshin shoden katori shinto ryu to "shodan" but his bio is very colorful;

"Shihan Balmer worked as a Mercenary in Africa and Cambodia where he had close contact with the Infamous Pol Pot.He was an international bodyguard for business people travelling across Europe and Asia in the sixties. his most famous client was Idi Amin ruler of Uganda. "

I thought of sticking this post on the bad budo forum but I really don't want to get on the wrong side of someone who worked for Idi Amin

Hi Banbi, I am new to e-budo but I am interested in TSKSR in London, but I cannot find mr jay contact details, do you know where I can find them?
    Many thanks

Wyse4891

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by wyse4891 View Post
    Hi Banbi, I am new to e-budo but I am interested in TSKSR in London, but I cannot find mr jay contact details, do you know where I can find them?
    Many thanks

Wyse4891
    Hi Wyse
    Not sure if you found it already but
    http://www.japansociety.org.uk/4614/jay-michael/
    Has his email and phone at the bottom of the article
    all the best
    Tom

Likes (received)

hi dears

some questions about koryu bujutsu "katori shinto ryu"

why is sageo of saya open in katori shinto ryu? not attaching to hakama(like Iaido)?

why your hand before nukitsuke over (Vice versa) be tsuka?
    What is the reason?
    is this reason practical?

thank you for answers

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hatori View Post
    some questions about koryu bujutsu "katori shinto ryu"
    First of all I am not an expert on Katori Shinto-ryu and others are much more qualified to comment.

Nevertheless I do want to point out that there are many ways to deal with the sageo and not only in Katori Shinto-ryu you can see the sageo not tied to the hakama. Some schools even leave out the sageo. Some people I know prefer an unattached sageo to allow more freedom during iaijutsu. Some schools allow freedom in how to deal with the sageo, other schools are quit directive.

Regarding your question on the hand before nukitsuke I assume you refer to the right hand placed palm up at mid-hilt. In Katori Shinto-ryu, Warrior tradition by Risuke Otake (p64), this is explained as a movement that clears the practioner’s sleeve back to the elbow, and out of the way.
    Although I am not a member of Katori Shinto-ryu, I bought the book and obviously if you have an interest in this school I can recommend it to you.
    Guy Buyens
    Hontai Yoshin Ryu (本體楊心流)
    BELGIAN BRANCH http://www.hontaiyoshinryu.be/

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Buyens View Post
    Regarding your question on the hand before nukitsuke I assume you refer to the right hand placed palm up at mid-hilt. In Katori Shinto-ryu, Warrior tradition by Risuke Otake (p64), this is explained as a movement that clears the practioner’s sleeve back to the elbow, and out of the way.
    Although I am not a member of Katori Shinto-ryu, I bought the book and obviously if you have an interest in this school I can recommend it to you.
    thank you,but
    What is the name of this move?

Likes (received)

hi,
    please answer to this question
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Likes (received)

Two different styles/methodologies, nothing more.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

10. Likes cxt, Stefffen liked this post
    Likes (received)

From 0920

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on98wYpoovU

Shohatto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKy_onHvc14

Different kata, different strategies/target, different different different
    Roar Ulvestad

12. Likes cxt, Stefffen liked this post
    Likes (received)

in the katori shinto ryu, why do they nukitsuke in this way? look at Wrist hand and handle of sword!!!! why ?????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	10832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	10833  

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hatori View Post
    in the katori shinto ryu, why do they nukitsuke in this way? look at Wrist hand and handle of sword!!!! why ?????
    Join the school and, after you've gained the trust of your elders, I'm sure someone will be happy to tell you.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

15. Likes StephenBaker liked this post
    Likes (received)

Mr. Hessam,
    I will attempt to explain in such a way that you'll understand. The koryu sword arts are all distinct entities with many years of history behind them that have shaped the way that they do things. While there are always reasons for the things that are done within a particular school, that reasoning is reserved for those that are active members of the ryu. You learn the reasons for things directly from your instructor and seniors in the art. It is not something that is generally shared with outsiders. Much of the inner workings of the various schools is indeed only available to the most senior members of the art. The longer you practice, the more you learn.

You cannot learn these things by asking on the internet, it just doesn't work that way.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

17. Likes StephenBaker, Stefffen liked this post
    Likes (received)

Paul - et al - I don't agree. Anytime I observe something from another ryu that intrigues me, I ask--either as a mental construct (trying to figure it out), or directly to a practitioner. Sometimes I'm told that the information is proprietary or secret...but very often, I get a direct answer. Over and over, I see this censorious response of "join the ryu and wait to be instructed when the instructor is ready," as if koryu are these precious delicate jewels, unfathomable to non-practitioners, or those from other ryu, and it is somehow just not 'on' to ask such a question.

For example, Toda-ha Buko-ryu has a particular move, ke-ashi, which almost looks like an ashi-barai with weapons. Every time we did an embu in Japan, instructors from other ryu would approach Nitta sensei or myself and ask what it meant, quite mystified, but freely speculating. A very famous teacher thought it was kicking sand in the eyes of the enemy before cutting them with the naginata (how much sand is there in Japan?) It is, in fact, a means of generating power to cut strongly forward and then to move quickly and deeply backwards without losing balance. (See, I told you-and we had no hesitation in telling others as well back then.).

Some time ago, there was a rather nasty exchange on one of the koryu Facebook pages, where a couple of trolls began slandering my ryu and me personally, based on what they believed they perceived in a film of our embu in Araki-ryu. There was a rather long exchange, which I eventually entered (the two trolls were young Bujinkan guys who had visited my dojo in Greece and thought they'd awe the members of the dojo...and left after a single light practice, never to return--pride apparently hurt). In the end, I issued an open invitation to the over 2000 members of this Facebook group, that they were welcome to ask any question they liked about my ryu(s), and I would answer. If it was proprietary information, I would say so--if not, I'd answer clearly. I was intrigued that I got two or three questions. That's all. Perhaps everyone was incurious, but perhaps this engrained censoriousness is so deep that even with an invitation, people don't ask.

It is interesting to me that TSKSR, for example, is remarkably open--Otake sensei frequently will state in a film - (a paraphrase) - 'here's a gokui of our school, and here's how to do it, and here's why we do it.' I would bet that the odds are good that if one asked Otake sensei directly about that nukitsuke, you'd get a detailed explanation.

I get the difference between what a shihan chooses to explain and what a student would--on the internet, no less. Nonetheless, how does one know what is proprietary unless one asks. And why participate in a discussion group on koryu unless there is something to discuss? The questions on lineage, legitimacy, location of dojos and 'what is a soke' have been done to death. Without something substantive, what's the point?

I've always wondered why the sageo in TSKSR is looped over the saya. Never gotten around to asking--even though that's not the way people wore swords, with the sageo drooping behind. So, in the spirit of inquiry, to TSKSR folks (and others who do the same in their tradition), why do this with the sageo? (If I don't get an answer here, I'm finally moved to inquire further, and will write to a few friends. I'll be surprised if I'm told that this is one of the deep secrets of the ryu).
    Ellis Amdur

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis Amdur View Post
    ...I would bet that the odds are good that if one asked Otake sensei directly about that nukitsuke, you'd get a detailed explanation.
    I think that is a difference that's important; asking the most-senior teacher (presumably in person, or at least in a direct communication) versus throwing out the question on the Internet.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

20. Likes Cliff Judge liked this post
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast