Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto-ryu

Ms Miller,

You stated:

"Regarding the circulation of these series about Katori Shinto Ryu (or any such tapes for that matter)I feel it's like giving "A loaded gun" indescriminately to someone one doesn't know."

Then you stated:

"I never did once question the decision of TSKSR I suggest you read my previous post careful with regard to my intentions. In that statement of yours it apparently makes it seem that I "had" said such things (question expertise or authority) when I did not. It gives others a false impression of the nature of my post by twisting my intentions."

Since the ultimate decision concerning the dissemination of information contained on the tape rested originally with Otake Sensei, I don't think I was unfairly twisting any words in my post. You even likened the information on the tape to "A loaded gun". If this is not a direct condemnation of Otake Sensei's decision to release this information into the publics domain, I don't know what is.

I very carefully read your post. If it doesn't accurately reflect your actual opinions, perhaps you need to compose them more carefully.

Sincerely,

[Edited by Toby Threadgill on 07-26-2000 at 04:03 PM]

Likes (received)

The entire series is for sale commercially, and has been for at least fifteen years. For information, visit http://www.bbcfootage.com or write BBC Worldwide, 747 Third Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10017. The supporting book by Reid and Croucher is also in print.

Okay, this means you'd have to pay full market value, but what the heck, copyright owners like getting paid, too, you know.

Likes (received)

Cool Many Thanks

Michael Becker

I have yet to receive my copy but thank you for taking the time and expence to send the tape. I will thank you by passing it on to others in the same spirit as you yourself have exhibited.

Anyone in Australia/New Zealand/ South Pacific wanting a copy please answer via e-mail.

tatkinson@sia.net.au

I hope to hear from you soon Goon!

All the best,

Tim Atkinson
    Shinto Muso Ryu 神道夢想流
    Shinto Seishin Ryu 真途静心流
    Gold Coast, Australia

Likes (received)

Default Re: I don't think it's a good idea...

Originally posted by Joanne Miller
    Regarding the circulation of these series about Katori Shinto Ryu (or any such tapes for that matter)I feel it's like giving "A loaded gun" indescriminately to someone one doesn't know....
    With respect, I must disagree with this. ANY information whatsoever (regarding any subject) can be "misued". However, this should not stop the dissemination of such information, especially if people can benefit from it, and especially if those from whom the information originates give it freely and with the intention that it people be able to receive it.

It would be extremly regrettable if such tapes fall into wrong hands where someone just viewing snippets from such footage go ahead and start dishing out "advise" the Katori Shinto Ryu "way"....
    Yes, it is regrettable, but there is nothing that can be done about it. There are people who may do this, and preventing them from seeing a BBC TV show will to little to stop them. The tapes (which I have not seen, but which I assume follow the general scope of information in the book) are not filled with any great mysteries or with anything that anyone with a little wherewithal could not discover by other means.

Otake sensei has a set group of forms that outsiders see. The omote forms that are on the TSKSR Budokan tape are about it. The rest of the stuff is (by-and-large) in-school only. There is a great deal of stuff that I have never seen nor will see for years (assuming I get to the level where I can learn it). As far as I am concerned, if Otake sensei willingly participated in the program and had no problems with it (despite his knowing that there are charlatans out there), then that is pretty well the end of the matter.

In any case, the only thing I am really qualified to do is train.

Hopefully, someone from Shinbukan who is in a better position would have some comments with regards to this issue.
    I hope that my comments have been of value. And, just so all are clear on this, my comments are my own personal ones, and do not in any way represent "general Shinbukan views". There is no way I could (or would) presume to speak for anyone other than myself.

Cheers.

andre joseph Guest

I would like a copy,plrase e-mail me at dresangel@hotmail.com Iam in houston,tex

Richard A Tolson Guest

Joe,
    Though I am sure the original poster meant no harm, what is suggest is certainly the legal route.
    Went to the site you linked, but couldn't find info on the series.

Likes (received)

Hm, that's really interesting... I know several people (including myself) that have been looking for a way to buy the complete series.
    I even mailed BBC some years ago and asked for it. The reply stated something like "is not and will not be available on video".

I couldn't find it on the web-page mentioned above though, http://www.bbcfootage.com, but that says more about my search-abilities I guess/hope

Any exact link, prices, etc. anyone? I'll buy it for sure, having seen some of the episodes (not the TSKSR one though) on very bad copies, I've always wanted to get hold of the complete series with good quality.

Regards,
    Fredrik Blom

Likes (received)

There is nothing illegal about circulating copies of a program show on tv provided money is not being made.

One of the reasons that I have not accepted ANY money is to ensure that no allegations of video piracy could be made.

If the BBC want to sell the series on video then I would be happy to buy it myself but they do not currently do so. I have checked with suppliers and it is not available.
    Michael Becker

Likes (received)

Duplicating is an interesting area of law, and if you believe the music industry, making a tape of a song you hear on the radio is a Federal offense. But in general, Michael is correct, nobody cares so long as you're not selling the stuff. Still, in general, I would recommend doing such things in private e-mail rather than on bulletin boards, as the Gestapo may be watching and it tends to go after small fry rather than the mobsters who duplicate films and CDs by the tens of thousands.

As for the BBC site, they don't list what they have. Instead you have to write them letters asking. Use a business letterhead, express interest in paying money, and you should receive a copy of what films are available. They won't sell the whole series, just bits and pieces, and for a commercial outfit, they aren't too expensive. Indeed, I don't think it costs more than a few thousand dollars for one-time use of the segment we're talking about.

And if that seems a bit pricey, well, everybody and his mother seems to have enough money to buy 10-dan ranking and attend $250 a plate dinners at the World Karate Hall of Fame, so I must assume everybody has money to spend on films, too.

MarkF Guest

I heard today that Napster.com was shut down by the feds due to a ruling by a federal court judge that they would likely lose the case in court. And these are people exchanging songs on the web? I think Joe has a point. Take it to email or private messaging. Be on the safe side.

Likes (received)

Ok then. In order to aviod any possible problems for John Lindsey,

ANYONE THAT REQUIRES A COPY PLEASE EMAIL ME PRIVATELY AND I WILL FORWARD THE EMAIL TO ALL OF THE VARIOUS PEOPLE THAT I PROVIDED COPIES FOR. PLEASE NOTE THAT I CANNOT AND WILL NOT GUARANTEE THAT SOMEONE WILL REPLY AND OFFER A COPY. I MYSELF WILL NOT BE SENDING OUT ANY FURTHER COPIES SINCE I HAVE ALREADY DONE SIXTEEN!.

(sigh, just when I thought life was getting easier...)

I respectfully request that the moderator close this thread so no one else posts here if they want a copy.
    Michael Becker

Likes (received)

Exclamation

Joanne,

Your about 20yrs too late with your warning for one instructor in California did take the ryu's name in vain- and this was before the video in question was even filmed.

The one universal truth that I have found in my years of training follows: LET THE BUYER BEWARE. I know in the past(years ago)I have been taken in by phonies, for a short while, and they got their techniques from a film of Draeger sensei performing TSKSR kata.

E-budo folks, I truly believe that Michael should be commended for spending mucho time and cash making this video available.

Thrust true,

Brian Jones
    Houston HACA

Likes (received)

Michael:
    I don't think Otake will be too excited about people looking at a BBC Broadcast. I'll be seeing him this week and explain it.

Carl McClafferty

Richard A Tolson Guest

Michael,
    I was not trying to be a hard-ass or put you down for your generosity. However, the distribution of such a tape is copyright infringement. No, they probably would not come after you, but I would not consider it worth the risk myself. We never know who is lurking on the Internet .

sinsis Guest

Thumbs up Way of the warrior...

Dear Budoists,

I would also like a copy of the program " way of the Warrior" I live in Amsterdam in the Netherlands and would need PAL format.

It would make me very happy..

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast