Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto-ryu

Likes (received)

ANYONE INTRESTED IN A TAPE PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECTLY!

mjjbecker@somewhere79.swinternet.co.uk

If you dont email me directly I will not be able to reply as I will only be picking up email for the next month or so ( VERY BUSY at the moment so I wont have time to check out ebudo for a while ).

So if you dont contact me directly I wont be able to help!

Michael Becker
    (Going old and grey before his time!)
    Michael Becker

sinsis Guest

Thumbs down BBC footage? No way of the warrior!

I send the following email to BBC footage..

<<<<Dear Sir / Madam,

I'm looking for the complete series of "Way of the warrior". Also i'm interested in other martial arts documentaries that the BBC made.

Please contact me for further information.

Yours truly,

Sinsis Stein.>>>>

This was my answer...

<<<<Dear Sinsis
    Unfortunately The Way of the Warrior has not been made commercially
    available on video and
    as far as I can find out there are no plans to release it in the near
    future.
    I have also checked for other titles on the same subject by the BBC but
    cannot locate anything.

Regards

Steve>>>>>

So although I like to pay the price it aint going to happen!

Could please anybody help me with a copy?

Greetings,

Sinsis Stein

Likes (received)

Joseph,
    I contacted BBC at bbcfootage and recieved a phone call from a research/librarian J. Kilburn @ BBC UK she said that the series "the way of the Warrior" was not and had not ever been for sale. Please give us a point of contact so we can accesss this tape.
    Should I just send a letter to the afore mentioned address?
    Anyway, I would really appreciate your help in my attempt to expand my video archive.
    Thanks,

Remleh Scherzinger

J. Ribot Guest

Question

Hello all,

I would appreciate the help of any one out there who understands the Japanese language better than I. I am having a difficult time trying to translate some of the names of the katas from the Omote no tachi and Gogyo no tachi of the TSKSR.

The purpose of my inquery is one of personal enlightenment and research. Any type of help would be wonderful. The following are the names of the kata.

( OMOTE NO TACHI )

1. Itsutsu-no-Tachi
    2. Nanatsu-no-Tachi
    3. Kasumi-no-Tachi
    4. Hakka-no-Tachi

( GOGYO NO TACHI )

1. Mitsu-no-Tachi
    2. Yotsu-no-Tachi
    3. IN-no-Tachi
    4. Sha-no-Tachi
    5. Hotsu-no-Tachi

Thank You,

J. Ribot

Likes (received)

The following translation is taken from a manuscript of Ulf Rott. He teaches Katori Shinto Ryu (Sugino-ha) in germany.

http://home.t-online.de/home/rottulfizm/aikikobu.htm

itsutsu-no-tachi

the second kanji means harbour,flood,tide,ferry
    the kata could be translated as

five tide sword

-------------------

nanatsu-no-tachi

seven tide sword or also as seven harbour sword (see the first kata)
    But it seems that it has to do with "hokutoshichisei" (an astronomical constellation). So the translation of the kata could be, that the seven stars of this constellation protect the body.

------------------

kasumi-no-tachi

god gather sword

it seems that the name of the kata means, that god (or gods) protect the body.

-----------------

hakka-no-tachi

eight gods sword

it seems, that the name of the kata means, that 8 million gods protect the body (hapyakumanshintsudou)

As i wrote above, this a translation from Ulf Rott. The translation is in german, if there are any mistakes in the translation from german into english, this would be my fault.

best regards

Ruediger Meier

Likes (received)

I don't study KSR and haven't seen the kanji but I do speak Japanese and it seems to me that Mitsu, Yotsu, Itsutsu and Nanatsu are just numbers from the old Japanese numbering system as follows:

One:Hitotsu
    Two: Futatsu
    Three: Mitsu
    Four: Yotsu
    Five: Itsutsu
    Six: Mutsu
    Seven: Nanatsu
    Eight: Yatsu
    Nine: Kokonotsu
    Ten: To

Mitsu no tachi would therefore simply read "Third Sword (Technique)". Hope this has helped - the only kanji involved in mitsu is "san" (three) so if there actually IS a kanji for "tide" there somewhere then ignore this post as I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

All the best

Eric

Likes (received)

Hi Eric,

the translation above is taken from a manuscript by Ulf Rott. He speaks japanese (he lived in japan for about three years) and is married with a japanese woman. His woman practice also Katori Shinto Ryu. You're right with your argument that the names has to do with the japanese form of counting, but... sometimes things are more then they look first.
    I'm not an expert at all, but i think that Mr. Rott has also asked his teachers, before he made such statements. But maybe someone here on e-budo has more knowledge to share than i have and can tell us more about the name of the kata.

BTW, i also do not practice Katori Shinto Ryu and my japanese is so poor that i wouldn't say that i can really speak japanese.

best regards

Ruediger Meier

Richard A Tolson Guest

If the kanji for the sword techniques are the same as for the naginata, then the kanji simply translate as:
    Itsutsu - Five Harbor
    Nanatsu - Seven Harbor
    Kasumi - Mist
    Hakka - Eight (the second kanji is simply used to denote something counted)
    This is based on the kanji found in THE DEITY AND THE SWORD. However, this does not exclude any form of mystical meanings associated with the names.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Richard A Tolson
    Kasumi - Mist
    Hakka - Eight (the second kanji is simply used to denote something counted)
    This is based on the kanji found in THE DEITY AND THE SWORD.
    Hi Richard,

Which "The Deity And The Sword" are you looking at? The one I have doesn't say that Kasumi means "Mist" or Hakka as being just "Eight."

What Mr Meier wrote looks like what the Kanji says in TDATS.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Richard A Tolson Guest

George,
    The volume on Naginata and Sojutsu. The kanji are given for each technique and are easily translatable.
    For example the kanji used for the third naginata technique demonstrated are simply kasumi-no-naginata. The kanji for kasumi is #2814 in NTC'S NEW JAPANESE-ENGLISH CHARACTER DICTIONARY and simply means, "mist" or "haze". Perhaps there are different kanji used in the Kenjutsu volume.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Richard A Tolson
    George,
    The volume on Naginata and Sojutsu. The kanji are given for each technique and are easily translatable.
    For example the kanji used for the third naginata technique demonstrated are simply kasumi-no-naginata. The kanji for kasumi is #2814 in NTC'S NEW JAPANESE-ENGLISH CHARACTER DICTIONARY and simply means, "mist" or "haze". Perhaps there are different kanji used in the Kenjutsu volume.
    Hi Richard,

I didn't look at that book first, but you are right. The Sword book does shows the kanji as different from the Naginata book.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Folks:
    Just got back from Japan. Just one or two quick notes:
    Kasumi is the name of a particular technique in the kata, don't read too much into it and there is only one TSKSR dojo authorized to teach by the Soke, that is Otake Risuke Sensei's in Chiba.

Thanks
    Carl

Richard A Tolson Guest

George,
    Thanks for the info!
    I don't have the sword book that is why I asked if the kanji were the same. I hate to assume.

J. Ribot Guest

Smile TSKSR- Translations

Hello All,

Thank you all for your comments and replies. The information you have given me is of much help and greatly appreciated.

Regards,

J. Ribot

Likes (received)

Most names for waza ARE in fact apparent and take little thought to realize the relation between the name and the movements in the waza, while others might take a little more cultural or historical knowledge to grasp why that particular word or combination of kanji was chosen for a particluar waza. A good example is Hanetsurube-no-bo. If anyone can tell me why the 4th set of TSKSR bo is called this, i will give them some cookies and milk. (as i do not represent the Shimbukan, Otake Sensei, the Soke, or anyone else related to the school i am not at liberty to divulge the why behind the what. But you still get a cookie for effort.) Don't feel bad if you don't get this one, becuase 90% of the Japanese mates i was practicing with at the Shimbukan that day (regulars) didn't know what it meant either until it was explained to them. Just my 2 yen.

Greg Ellis
    89th Headmaster of Debu-no-Aho Ryu Namakemono-Ha school of the Super-Secret Exotic Deadly and All-around Painful Art of Gas Grilling
    Greg Ellis
    I like autumn best of all, because its tone is mellower, its colors are richer and it is tinged with a little sorrow. Its golden richness speaks not of the innocence of spring, nor the power of summer, but of the mellowness and kindly wisdom of approaching age. It knows the limitations of life and it is content.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast