Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: KarateForum Etiquette

Likes (received)

Asia,

Thank you for your help, i will try and remember that!
    Huw Larsen

Number 1 member of the Default Collective of Misfits

Likes (received)

Neko Ashi Dachi = Cat Foot Stance, not cat leg stance.

Ashi = foot as in ashi barrai = foot sweep.
    Steven L. Malanoski

Likes (received)

Default Lastly

I just got tired of seeing Steves' post.
    Manny Salazar
    Submisson Sabaki

Likes (received)

Hmm. I just saw an translation for shikodachi in one Goju-Ryu article. They used "sitting stance" as a translated name for it. It's a bit too vaguely describing for my tastes. I'd like to know whether that name is commonly used among the English speaking folks?

Ashibarai...now, that's a thing that is a bit open (nothing wrong with terms being a bit open). OK, it is "ashi" as "foot", "harai" as "sweep". However, it doesn't describe the nature of the footsweep any further. We tend to use a term ashibarai about several different foot sweeping actions. One example is an outwards version of low sukui uke (scooping block) being called as ashibarai (all OK), then there is a version of mikasuki geri (crescent kick) being called as ashibarai (well, that can well be seen that way)...all that among other techniques. I somehow think that a relatively open terminology is a good thing as well.
    Jussi Häkkinen
    Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do
    Turku, Finland

Likes (received)

Hi Jussi,

I was under the impression that barai/harai = deflection. So, in that sense, any of the various foot sweeps/pulls, etc would be covered by the term "ashi barai".

As for Shiko Dachi, I've typically seen it translated as "Sumo Stance" or "Square stance" or "Squatting Stance".

Rob

Originally posted by Jussi Häkkinen
    Hmm. I just saw an translation for shikodachi in one Goju-Ryu article. They used "sitting stance" as a translated name for it. It's a bit too vaguely describing for my tastes. I'd like to know whether that name is commonly used among the English speaking folks?

Ashibarai...now, that's a thing that is a bit open (nothing wrong with terms being a bit open). OK, it is "ashi" as "foot", "harai" as "sweep". However, it doesn't describe the nature of the footsweep any further. We tend to use a term ashibarai about several different foot sweeping actions. One example is an outwards version of low sukui uke (scooping block) being called as ashibarai (all OK), then there is a version of mikasuki geri (crescent kick) being called as ashibarai (well, that can well be seen that way)...all that among other techniques. I somehow think that a relatively open terminology is a good thing as well.

Likes (received)

If you look at the Sino-Japanese characters for shiko-dachi you will se that they read something like "four-thighs/haunches-stance". The second character KU (Chinese) or KO (Japanese) is also used to mean a share or a portion, a division, so shiko dachi could be understood as something like "four section stance".
    I have also been told that shiko-dachi means "four hips stance" which is meant to imply that it gives you the stability of someone with four hips, but I think this is a mistake. Someone has confused the KO of shiko with the character KOSHI meaning hips/waist.
    Yours,
    Harry Cook

MarkF Guest

Hi Jussi,

I was under the impression that barai/harai = deflection. So, in that sense, any of the various foot sweeps/pulls, etc would be covered by the term "ashi barai".
    In judo terms it generally refers to a sweep, though deflection works, too, it is the action being described so "sweep" is what you do while deflecting/blocking motion.

De-ashi-harai, harai goshi, the first "forward foot sweep," the second, "hip sweep," but deflection fits, too. In the foot sweep you are deflecting the foot from taking a forward step, in harai goshi, you are deflecting forward advancement of the body.

In both cases, it has several meanings, it is perception that counts.

Mark

Likes (received)

Default Termonoligy

Hi:

An interesting dicussion, I have heard lots of good Ideas, Mr. Meisner sounds like you have a great handle on it.

I have A Karate Sensei who trained in Okinawa for many years under Tatsuo Shimabuku. Sensei is AJ Advincula, he says that Shimabuku Sensei encouraged using the language of the land to teach martial arts.

I also have a Kobudo Sensei, Hidemi Tamayose, who is Okinawan and until recently spoke virtually no english. Using the Japanese Terms in this situation was advantageous. It helped us get a start point. Gave us a common ground.

I am torn here. For the kids I teach in english because it is quite redundant as to weather they learn the japanese or not. For the Adults or those senior kids who will encounter My kobudo sensei I encourage learning the basic japanese terminoligy for the kihon and basic techniques. Kata as someone said is always by its name, we dont translate the name.

I am finding that Sensei asks the english translation and is trying to use it, so you see he is trying to communicate with us in our language. This interaction puts a whole new light on statements like "We teach the japanese as a respect and rememberance of where the art comes from" I agree with this, but maybe we have gone a bit overboard and have added difficulties to our teaching cirriculum.

As I said... I have found a value in it.. but not the one I originally thought it was. I valure knowing the japanese terms because of my interaction with a wonderful teacher who barely speaks my language, nothing more, nothing less.

Mike O'leary
    Old Dragon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3