Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: No other like it

hector gomez Guest

ROBERT ROUSELEOT

Robert i know we got off on the the wrong foot,but for
    me its really water under the bridge,i am really looking foward
    to your opinion and experience on certain topics

HectorGomez
    Last edited by hector gomez; 1st October 2001 at 16:23.

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default Beach & Outdoor training

I remember attending a couple of the beach training seesions. I think as teenagers what we liked most about the special seesions was the change, the fun of training outside the dojo and going to the scenic beach. There is definitely something special about training outdoors. As a mattar of fact, I remember, while I was in Kenkojuku, every so often and for no special reason we'd go out in the backyard of the building to train.

Nowadays, I find training in the park, minus my gi, beneficial.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.Steadytraining.com

yiyo Guest

Thumbs up

It was back in 1979. Our instructor told us that we would have a visitor from the Kenkojuku organization with us for a week of training and motivation (OK, it sounds good to me). That was, TOYOTARO MIYAZAKI. At that time, I was young and ignorant and I did not know much of him. Thank you Mr. Bustillo for bringing up his name up. As a young lad, I experienced some of best karate-do I have ever seen. As you probably know, at one point of your martial arts tenure and/or career, there is one karateka that stands out in the back of your mind as the best you have ever seen and to me it was Sensei Miyazaki. He had the best kicks, the best techiques, the best katas, the best movements. Everthing was crisp and perfect. Wow.!!

yiyo Guest

How about going to the Palm Springs Mall in Hialeah (a Kenkojuku favorite) and doing a 1 hour seminar there impressing the hell out of every spectator. As a teenager, these were definitely good times with alot of adrenilan. There was this one excellent karateka (long-haired) by the name of Dennis Z that would always steal the show with his excellent showing. And, yes, how can I not forget those beach training at Virginia Beach. (not any more)

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default Takeshi Akuzawa

Yes, Toyotaro Miyazaki was superb.
    One of the things I liked about him was his calm demeanor.

There is another karateka, Takeshi Akuzawa, who is considered T. Okano's best student. Mr. Akuzawa arrived in the U.S. during the early 60's and taught in Memphis for several years before relocating to Coral Gables , Florida.

Latest update on Kenkojuku.....

Kenkojuku's 60th anniversary was in September. Several instuctors traveled to the Tokyo honbu for the celebration.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.SteadyTraining.com

Likes (received)

Yoshitaka Funakoshi was instrumental in developing the roundhouse kick ( mawashi geri) and the side kick ( yoko-geri ) and the fudo dachi ( rooted stance )and the importance of useing the whole body in a coordinated method along with the importance of relaxation( Layton; pg 26 ).

The development of the J.K.A style of Shotokan Karate can be traced to the type of Karate that was/is taught and practiced at Takushoku University ( Cook ; Shotokan A Percise History )

As someone who trains in the J.K.A style of Shotokan ( also in Okinawan Goju Ryu: Shobukan ) I place my elbow one fist away from my body when I execute a shuto-uke ( knife hand block ) ,focus is placed on moveing the elbow first, then snaping the forearm,wrist,hand .

ken allgeier

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default Differences

Ken A.

There are plenty of similarities between the Shotokan groups. Even so, there are also plenty of differences between Kenkojuku schools and JKA.

Harry Cook's book on Shotokan and its history is good, but it is basically the story of JKA, not Kenkojuku. There are many Shotokan groups that have nothing to do with Nakayama's JKA and their focus on training, and curriculum are not the same.

I'll cite another example.

Hirokazu Kanazawa states that weapons, kobudo, training was never practiced at the old JKA. (Fraguas, p. 130)
    Of course, there are some JKa men who know weapons because they studied on their own, but that is another matter.

However, Tomosaburo Okano the founder of Kenkojuku is a recognized kobudo expert. Kobudo is part of the Kenkojuku curriculum.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.SteadyTraining.com

hector gomez Guest

funny quick story

It was early 70s jhoon rhee had just invented the pattened
    foam safety kicks, and someone had the guts to bring it to
    class ,and set it down by our sneakers and sandals,maybe this
    person was thinking about practicing with them after class.

This was definitly a very bold move, at that time in our
    school,anyway class gets underway, and sensei notices the
    safety equipment ,he inspects it ,and in typical fashion demands to know
    who brought them in,well i knew, but i wasn't telling,and neither
    was anyone else.

Sensei took the safety kicks opened the front door and threw them
    out to the street,never asked who they belonged to ,and did not care.
    no one said a word, and we proceeded to have the most strenuos
    class i have ever experienced.Bottom line" if there is one", put
    your kicks in your bag ,and out of sight.

Hector Gomez
    Last edited by hector gomez; 5th October 2001 at 23:17.

Bustillo, A. Guest

Hector,

I didn't witness the incident, but I remember hearing about it. It was around the time the teacher was giving free haircuts.

What happened to the Jhon Rhee safety gear? Was it found?
    I don't know what they were thinking. During that time, no type of protective equipment was allowed in our dojo.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.Steadytraining.com

hector gomez Guest

Antonio i don't remember what happened to the safety kicks,but
    the haircut was definitly not a negotiable issue.

You probably need oj simpson best lawyers to get away with some of that stuff nowadays.

Likes (received)

Default no other like it

Nice thread yiyo, Mr. Gomez and Mr. Bustillo, I have not posted here before as I have no firsthand knoledge of Kenkojuko. I have enjoyed reading these stories, some of which I've heard before are just great.Keep up the good work. On a second note, I had frequented Virginia Beach many times in the past and remember
    that beach for other reasons.

Regards,
    Manny Salazar
    it's all that
    at the budo barn

Likes (received)

Default no other like it

Btw, I think I know the hair cut guy.

Manny Salazar
    it's all that
    at the budo barn

Bustillo, A. Guest

Yiyo, Hector,

The better known kenkojuku instructors were Toyotaro Miyazaki, Takahashi, Sugimoto of course, but I remeber another gentleman who was an expert with the Kamas. Hiroa, ? His name escapes me right now. What ever happaned to him? Did he go to another part of the country to teach? Back to Japan?

Antonio Bustillo
    www.Steadytraining.com

hector gomez Guest

Antonio i believe his name was sensei Horie,and yes
    he was excellent with the kamas,I once saw him perform with
    very sharp edge blades.He accidently nicked himself in the back as
    he was swinging the kamas and started bleeding.

I know miyazaki was good with the bo ,but i also believe he was
    great with the kamas.
    Aside from the sword, I remember Mr. Sugimoto playing around with
    the tonfas.
    Hector Gomez
    Last edited by hector gomez; 8th October 2001 at 15:57.

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default Sugi's Tonfas

You are right. koji sugimoto was proficient with the tonfas.

What he taught me helped when I had to use the PR-24.

So, what ever happaned to Horie?
    I do remember the incident when he cut himself during a demo. Mr. Horie didn't bat an eyelash and continued as if nothing had happened.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.SteadyTraining.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast