Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: No other like it

yiyo Guest

Smile

Hi there gentlemen. I'm still here. What ever happened to Horia.?? I did have the pleasure of meeting Mr. Horia at the YMCA. I remember Sugimoto always doing kata with the tonfas. Randy Rodriguez also use to screw around with the tonfas at times in class.
    I remember Sugimoto walking around in class with a chalkboard stick smacking anyone that did not have a correct kiba-dachi stands or deliver a sluggish gyaku-zuki. ???? Thats a great story on the pro-tech foam equipment. Was that Sal that brought those to class.??
    I remember one day going to class on a Tuesday night at the Y, and it was kumite time, and this brown belt (at the time) and the instructor teaching that day got into a full contact match, all out. Later after class, it almost started outside, but, we all stopped it (we should have let it go). No BJJ at the time.

yiyo Guest

Hey Antonio. I never met Takahashi. Did he go back to Japan or he still here in the U.S. ??

hector gomez Guest

Antonio

Yes that is very true, horie did not bat an eyelash during
    that demo.

Yiyo
    takahashi from what i remember, was a very big powerful
    man,there was stories of him hitting the heavy bag with
    a hell of a lot of power,i believe he might still be in N.Y

hector gomez Guest

Antonio
    I recieved your e- mail about kenkojukos 60th anniversary,I
    don't think we are on the guest list.

Bustillo, A. Guest

Hector,

Believe it or not, I received an invitation to attend the celebration in Japan.

Yiyo,

Takahashi has a dojo in NY. he is listed as the Head of kenkojuku in the US.
    I will send you his website.

Kobudo weapons.
    Each of the kenkojuku instructors had their favorites.
    If memory serves corect:
    K. Sugimoto- Tonfas, nunchaku,
    Hotie -Kamas
    Toyotaro Miyazaki - Bo, sai and also the sword.
    Tomosaburo Okano, the founder, all the Okinawan weapoms, and he has advanced degrees in the sword arts.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.Steadytraining.com

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default 60 th Anniversary Photos

Celebration held in Japan.

Photos of Kenkojuku's 60th anniversary.

Mr. John Egan's, Chirf instructor, website.

www.marinshotokan.com

Antonio Bustillo

Bustillo, A. Guest

I cross referenced some information about Kenkojuku Shotokan.
    The connection between Yoshitaka Funakoshi and Tomosaburo Okano was mentioned on this thread.

Reportedly, the Head Instructors of most Shotokan groups main influence came from Gichin Funakoshi. However, there are a handful of people who had strong ties to Funakoshi's third son, Yoshotaka. The latter group, T. Okano and his kenkojuku is in this category, brand of shotokan adheres more to the trainining emphasis of Yoshitaka. Thus, the differences; stances,--also, fudo-dachi is used more--
    certain forms are included, the kicking strategy, and focus of fighting.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.Steadytraining.com

MarkF Guest

Yiyo,
    While I hate to post anything about moderatin' and rules if I don't have something else to add, it is a rule here to sign with your complete, real name.

If you are having problems with the signature feature in your e-budo prefs, I understand many are experiencing problems, if this is the case, please manually type your full name to your posts. I hear tell that the sig. problem was fixed, so go into your prefs by clicking on "change profile" at the top of the page.

Again, I apologize to everyone for the rather empty post.

Regards,

Mark

yiyo Guest

Thumbs up

Antonio. Thats definitely real good inside information about Okano and his realtionshiop with Funakoshi's son. Now is when I am starting to realize some of differences that you mentioned between Kenkojuku and other shotokan branches.
    Do you all remember the ALL-KUMITE classes that were held at the Samurai dojo in Coral Way maybe once a month (no kids).??? I will tell I saw some of the most aggressive style of karate-do fighting in those classes. Granted we were alot younger at that time, but, it sticks. The minute you would walk in that dojo (also a ballet school) you could feel the vibes. We would go home those nights with bruised shins, sore ribs, jamed toes, etc. It was good.

P. Castillo
    Yiyo

Bustillo, A. Guest

Yiyo,

There was an article on T. Okano in a 1975 Black Belt magazine. The interview includes Okano's views about fighting in the dojo.
    You, we, experienced what he mentions firsthand.

If you like, I will find the article and mail it.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.Steadytraining.com

Bustillo, A. Guest

Alas! I found the 1975 article on Tomosaburo Okano.
    It is short, nonetheless I found it intersting.

So, for the members of the' South Florida Alliance' --and in case others are interested, --let me know if you are interested in reading the article.

Also, credit given to Mr. Hector 'It's All Good' Gomez, because he mailed me a 1978 newspaper clippng with photos od Okano.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.SteadyTraining.com

yiyo Guest

Default Sensei Miyazaki

I believe Sensei Miyazaki has also come out on the front page of Black Belt Magazine several times.????

Antonio. I am definitely interested in seeing that article on Okano that came out in Black Belt. Did I email you my address.??

P. Castillo
    Yiyo

yiyo Guest

Default Are You Inviting Us.??

I cannot fail to mention that over the years anytime Kenkojuku of South Florida was invited to compete in any traditional tournament, we would always kick ass. Whether it was kata or kumite, there was a something that we learned over the years that helped us prevail during competion. I know YOU KNOWS what I mean. The confidence, the technique, the knak. The minute the Kenko's would be seen at tournaments, it was Kenko time (you know like macho time). It was a good feeling.???

P. Castillo
    Yiyo

Bustillo, A. Guest

Yiyo,

Yes , I have the article and your address. I didn't forget, I was out of town for a few days. I will make a copy and mail it to you.

And, you are correct about Miyazaki. Articles were often written about him, and Miyazaki graced more than a few magazine covers.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.Steadytraining.com

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default Japan Honbu. Photos.

On John Egan's site, www.marinshotokan.com

Photos were added of the Kenkojuku Honbu in Japan.

Look for the section 'Kenkojournal'.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.Steadytraining.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast