Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: No other like it

hector gomez Guest

Default no other like it?

No other like it ,i am sure there are many great karate organizations out there with some very fascinating stories.

I hope this thread has not come across as a supreme
    (no other like it)organization or system of karate,because that
    was not the real intention of this thread,but in sharing some of
    the stories of this organization,i hope, i can speak for some of
    the guys that once trained in kenkojuko in saying, that it definitely gave one a good solid basic foundation from which to build on.

I believe that no matter what art,style or system one trains in, if one gets a very good quality foundation first,later on if one seeks other forms of self defense ,the good foundation will always be there to help one easily digest different combat theories.

Hector Gomez
    Last edited by hector gomez; 9th December 2001 at 23:46.

Bustillo, A. Guest

Hector,
    I agree and I am almost certain the original post was not meant as an issue of superiority, nevertheless, ir's a good thing you pointed that out.

A. Bustillo

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default Takeshi Akusawa

Photos of a superb martial artist, Mr. Takeshi Akusawa, were added to the Marin Shotokan site.

A glimpse as to his agility, proficieny, excellent form and technique; check out Akusawa's 'Low rider Fudo dachi'.

www.marinshotokan.com

scroll to 'kenkojournal' section dedicated to Takeshi Akusawa

Antonio Bustillo
    www.Steadytraining.com

J.Fundora Guest

kenkojuko Story

A instructor in Hialeah asked Master Okano if he would teach him how to knock out someone. Okano hit him and knocked him Out.
    I think the instructor name was Randy. Anybody have anything to add
    to this story is it true? What pressure point did he hit?
    What about the time Marselo killed a dog that attacked him.
    Mr Sugimoto and the chair at the tournament?

Thanks
    Jose Fundora

hector gomez Guest

Default That was a long time ago

Mr.Fundora

I remeber hearing about the randy story and okano,but i don't
    have the specifics,as far as marcelo goes he was one of sugis
    early shodans along with Mr.bustillo,anyway marcello i believe
    use to work for F.P.L as a meter reader eons ago, as he went
    into a house to read the meter a big german sheppard came
    out of nowhere and jumped at marcello,he reacted by automatically
    throwing a reverse punch which instantly killed the dog.

The Sugimoto story with the chair, Mr.Fundora you have to realize
    these were all stories told to me i was not there personally and
    i really hate to spread fetched out stories.To make a long story short sugimoto was matched up against a very well known competitor in a team competition back in the mid 70s his opponent a highly ranked fighter in his days, continually attacked
    Mr. Sugimoto after the referre called matte,this proceeded to
    happen many times over the duration of the fight,i believe sugi
    thought that all budo ethics were thrown out the window,so he
    proceeded to pickup a folding steel chair and strike his opponent
    over the head knocking him unconscious,to this day i believe this
    person has a steel plate in his head because of this incident.I have always been told that his reasoning for this was once the
    fight was not being followed by the rules,in his mind it became a
    real fight,NO RULES.

Hector Gomez
    Last edited by hector gomez; 21st December 2001 at 00:13.

Likes (received)

I've *Got* to hear about Sugimoto and the chair! Please tell!

Rob

Never mind!

Originally posted by J.Fundora
    kenkojuko Story

A instructor in Hialeah asked Master Okano if he would teach him how to knock out someone. Okano hit him and knocked him Out.
    I think the instructor name was Randy. Anybody have anything to add
    to this story is it true? What pressure point did he hit?
    What about the time Marselo killed a dog that attacked him.
    Mr Sugimoto and the chair at the tournament?

Thanks
    Jose Fundora

Likes (received)

Default dogs?

Killed a dog? What the %$#$^% is that all about? What, no bulls around? What about the chair story? Was that move in kata?
    I'll bet I know someone who would say so! But then again, therre weren't any metal chairs back then. That was Sugi's interpretation
    of Basai chair. Remind me to not let the dog out!!!

Regards,
    Manny "who let the dogs out" Salazar

hector gomez Guest

Default True

Manny

That dog story has been passed down as a legit(real)happening
    for the ages,but like oyama bulls i wasn't there, so who knows.

As far as Mr.sugimoto goes i was there on a lot of occassions some stories i cannot really post about,but a real quick one goes like this ,sugimoto has always been a top A rated referre in karate-do tournaments,but this particular tournament was like an open tourney in that a lot of the open guys attended ,but it was still being run by traditional standards.Mr sugimoto was the center
    referre and some of the competitors that were there that day
    were acting like they do in open tourneys, screaming by the corner of the ring and making all sorts of comments.As most of you know at traditional tournaments you can applaud good techniques,but making noise during the actual matches is usually a no-no.

Mr. sugimoto stopped the match and warned the unruly competitor to refrain from making noise and yelling during the
    match something very common in open tourneys,but not proper
    at this particular event,well sugimoto more than gave this one person various chances to clean his act ,but once the situation
    turned very disrespectful all hell broke loose and Mr. sugimoto as
    always came out of this scenario smelling like a rose.

Hector Gomez

PS:sorry about omitting the gory details guys
    Last edited by hector gomez; 21st December 2001 at 16:13.

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default Roberto Marcelo

Roberto Marcelo, a former Tokyo Karate-Do Association member of Akusawa's dojo, later and as far as I know a current kenkojuku instructor. Indeed, marcelo was attacked by a large dog. Marcelo 1, dog 0.

Hector, the sugimoto story about the guy yelling and screaming. Was it the same person who was in one of Sylvester Stallone Rambo movies? Or, are we talking about two separate incidents.

A. Bustillo

hector gomez Guest

Default yes

BINGO

J.Fundora Guest

Hector

I can relate this story becouse both Mr Sugimoto and Mr Herbi Thompson
    both told me their side of the story. I promoted a turnament in 1988 were
    both of then attended. I knew the story second hand before the event
    and was waiting for them to meet. I was over by the main jugues table when
    Mr Sugimoto at a high tone of voice say " Jose, Jose is that ah Herbi" he had a big grin on. I said yes and he turned to Mr Thompson and yelled "Herbi,
    Herbi" making a hand signal for him to come over. They both shook hands and laughfing I could not hear what they said but it was very cordial and friendly meeting. I could not wait to talk to both becouse know I had a reason to ask the quetion.

First Mr Sugimoto, I asked him " What you think about Herbi. Did you hit him in the head with a chair?" He was grining and said " That Herbi he is crazy!"
    I said "you know he has a plate in his head becouse of that hit" and he said "yeah" with a question look in his face and said "Jose he no stoping" and keeped moving his head from side to side and grining.

Then I went over to Mr Thompson and he was looking at me laughfing we shook hands and I said what happened when you guys fought.
    he said " Man that Jap keeped coming with that front hand snap punch
    (Oi suki) iah iah" he keeped laughfing he said" you know me"laughf some more and said "then he hit me in the head with a chair" some of hir students came over and we stoped talking.

For those that do not know Mr Thompson when he competed he was one of the ^&%% fighter around and had more *&^*&^ than anyone he would start the match in the center of the ring
    and would end up somewhere two rings down hitting his opponets all the way there. I was not there but could see how thing happed Herbi keeped coming and when Sugimoto had enoughf here came the chair.
    Neither of them said anything bad about the other and they acted like they had respect for each other.

Just an other day at a no contact unrealistic tournament in Yaaho Florida.

Jose Fundora

Likes (received)

Default The cat's out of the bag

Looks like Hector's attempts at keeping certain names out of the public is over with! Oh boy! What about the way of Congo?

Regards,
    Manny "Inquiring minds want to know" Salazar

hector gomez Guest

Default One stand getas

Guys, i remember okano sensei and Mr.sugimoto both wearing
    the wooden getas(sandals), instead of the traditional two block
    sandals they sometimes wore only one block getas(sandals) ,it was impressive watching them execute techniques like kicks wearing these one block wooden sandals.

Who can forget Mr. sugimoto breaking 8 bricks with his forehead
    at the county fair demo in the early 70s sporting very long hair
    at the time,i believe this was one of sugis secret weapons since
    he has been known to use it for real in life threatning situations.

Hector Gomez

hector gomez Guest

Default It's a shame

It's a shame we lost some of the replies(stories) on this thread
    during our shutdown,especially Mr. toyotaro miyazakis stories
    when he executed a round kick at a students head and removed
    a match stick with his toes from the students mouth.Mr. miyazaki was known in the eighties for competing in kata in the open tournaments and also training paul vizzio during his fighting career,but few people know that he was a great fighter in the 70s competing against such fighters as chuck norris,louis delgado and many more great karate fighters from the new york area.

Hector Gomez
    PS:If anyone ever got to see him fight during that golden era please we would like to hear your replies.
    Last edited by hector gomez; 24th December 2001 at 05:55.

Bustillo, A. Guest

Default Sugi's head smash

Hector,

I have photos of a demo we did at Florida International University during the 70's. Ken Ogawa and Koji Sugimoto did their segments: Ogawa his form with precision, and later had wooden sticks broken over different body parts. Sugimoto did the head smash on bricks you described.

And, you are correct when stating Sugi used the the top of his forehead, to butt, in crucial situations. I witneesed him down a cocky opponent who made the mistake to visit our dojo and try to show off.

Antonio Bustillo
    www.SteadyTraining.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast