Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kendo No Kata

Likes (received)

Default Kendo No Kata

Good Day All,
    I was wondering if anyone had any information on kendo no kata. What I'm looking for is sources/references and information concerning - the original set of kendo no kata and there origins as well as information concerning the origins of the present 10 form set.
    Also, an information concerning the reason (or lack there of) of the creators not to place names upon each of the kata (ie. they appear to be the only set simply referred to by name/number (1, 2, ...).
    Lastly, if you were to have been the creator what are the possible names for the kata that you might have been, ie. descriptive names or whatever (Ipponme - Hi-Suburi, 2 Sayu-Kote, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any help
    Michael C.

Likes (received)

Good question! I myself don't know the answer, but I'd like to learn more. I believe someone said they'd received quite a bit of info. on this in a book...

Don Cunningham Guest

The best book I've read in English on kendo kata for the Zen Nippon Kendo Renmai is Looking at a far mountain. This used to be hard to find, but I think Charles Tuttle Publishing has recently reissued a paperback edition. (I have the first edition in hardcover, so I don't know for sure they are both the same, but I think so.) Anyway, it presents a very good explanation of the kata as well as a lot of information about the historical development. You can read in there about why the kata are numbered as they are and not given descriptive names.

Likes (received)

Post Present Edition of "LaaFM"

Don is quite correct. "Looking at a Far Mountain" has been reissued as a paperback by Tuttle last year. As far as I can tell, it is identical to the Hardcover edition published by Ward Lock of London in 1992. There are a few used copies of the 1992 edition available; I obtained mine about two years ago.

There is nothing like it available in English today.
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

Default Kick in the right direction

Good Day All,
    I appreciate the responses thus far, but what I'm looking for is sources other then the common ones. I have Buden's, Finn's and Ozawa's kendo books and info. on the kata (personally I did like Ozawa's best [even though it was a small section of the book, but well illustrated and clear]). The questions I asked weren't in those books and I am looking for resources that go deeper.

In all of the books, it seems to insist that the origins of the kata's are all unknown. What I mean is that you look a kata and know it's origin as well as the changes. Like in Iai - you know what koryu forms each kata came from and how it was adjusted. I am looking for that info. concerning the kendo kata.

Any help would be great and I'll start bringing out the big questions as we go, but for now it's more the history of kendo no kata I'm looking for (translated Japanese stuff would be great).

Later
    Michael Castellani (noticed I didn't include my last name before, allows you guys to put a face to a name and remember where we met.)

Likes (received)

Hi Mike,

There's a really good essay on my site by Honda Tasuke, translated by Robert Stroud. It's at
    http://www.budogu.com/html/kendokata.htm

Peter Boylan
    Mugendo Budogu LLC
    Fine Martial Arts Books, Videos, Equipment and Clothing from Japan
    http://www.budogu.com

Likes (received)

Not sure where I picked this up from, so I can't vouch for it's accuracy. If anyone has any further details let me know.

THE SWORD THROUGH THE MEIJI PERIOD

With the Meiji restoration in 1868, Japan embarked on a period of westernization, neglecting for many years its traditional culture.
    As part of the process of dismantling the old bakufu the feudal families gave up their lands to the new government.

This meant that many of the old martial schools lost their financial support. As the samurai classes were absorbed into the new society and the nation looked to the west for inspiration the traditional budo went into decline.

Several factors combined to keep the arts alive through this period. The Dai Nippon Butokukai was organized in 1895 and in 1911 formed a specialty school which hired many of the budo experts of that generation. In the same year Kendo and Judo were introduced into the middle schools as compulsory exercise.

This resulted in the budo being taught to the general public which allowed some of the old teachers to make a new living.

During the same period the new conscript army needed to be trained. Schools like the Toyama Gakko which was organized in 1873 included the traditional martial arts as well as the western theories. The Toyama Ryu was developed in 1925 (Showa) and included Gunto Soho, Iai performed with the army sword. This school was based on the teachings of the Omori Ryu.

THE NATIONAL POLICE FORCES

The third factor in the preservation of budo was the police force, organized in 1874.

The police sword unit called the Batto- tai fought during the Satsuma rebellion (1877) when all available government forces were thrown into the effort. In one battle the police kenshi fought the Satsuma swordsmen of the Jigen Ryu to a standstill.

This was one of the main reasons that the sword was adopted by the police in 1879 and remained standard equipment until the end of the Second World War. The sword provided an alternative weapon which lay between the club and the gun in lethality.

The swordsmen assigned to instruct the forces developed the police sword forms called the Keishicho Ryu Gekken Kata in 1886. The following swordsmen were instructors during these years.

• Okumura Sakonda, Tokino Seikishiro (Jikishinkage Ryu)
    • Ueda Umanosuke (Yoshin Meichi Ryu)
    • Neigishi Shingoro, Shibae Umpachiro, Watanabe Noboru (Shindo Munen Ryu)
    • Matsuzaki Namishiro (Shinkage Ryu)
    • Shingai Tadatsu (Tamiya Ryu)
    • Takao Tesso (Etchu Ryu) (Jojo–Etchu Ryu?)
    • Mitsuhashi Kan'ichiro (Ogun Ryu)

The set of 10 katas developed by a committee of these instructors was the first standardized kendo kata in Japan.

The techniques represented 10 schools as follows:

1. Hasso:Jikishinkage Ryu
    2. Henka: Kurama Ryu
    3. Hachiten Giri: Hozan Ryu
    4. Maki Otoshi: Rishin Ryu
    5. Kadan no Tsuki: Hokushin Itto Ryu
    6. A-un: Asayama Ichiden Ryu
    7. Ichi-ni no Tachi: Jigen Ryu
    8. Uchi Otoshi: Shindo Munen Ryu
    9. Hasetsu: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu
    10. Kurai Zume: Kyoshin Meichi Ryu

In the 1920s and 30s the swordsmen instructing the police included Hiyama Yoshihitsu, Hotta Shitejiro, Nakayama Hakudo (founded Muso Shinden Iai), Saimura Goro, and Shimizu Takaji (25th head Shindo Muso Ryu, head Ikaku Ryu).

With the prohibition of almost all martial arts practice in 1945 by the allied forces in Japan, the budo went through another period of decline. One exception to the ban was the police force which was allowed to continue training in budo for their practical and fitness aspects.

From the National Police Reserves came the National Safety Corps (1952), then the Self Defence Forces (1954) which is the modern Japanese armed forces.

Today the martial arts as practiced in the police academy are some of the strongest and roughest in Japan.

THE POLICE IAIDO TRAINING...KESHI RYU

The Iai kata described here date from the founding of the police forces in the early Meiji. The kata were developed to teach the fundamentals of Iai without the need for prolonged study of one of the Koryu.

In this respect it is similar in intent to the Seitei Gata Iai of the ZNKR or Iaido Toho of the ZNIR. In North America these techniques are taught by Takeshi Mitsuzuka Sensei.

The Iai set contains five techniques, each from a different style. The katas are designed to deal with an attack from the front, back, right and left sides and finally an attack from four directions at once.

The waza and their school of origin are as follows.

1. Mae Goshi: Asayama Ichiden Ryu
    2. Muso Gaeshi: Shindo Munen Ryu
    3. Migi no Tekki: Kyoshin Meichi Ryu
    4. Mawari Gake: Tamiya Ryu
    5. Shiho: Tatsumi Ryu

The Shindo Munen Ryu was founded by Fukui Yoshihira (Kahei) in the mid 1700s.

The Kyoshin Meichi Ryu was established in Kansei (1789-1801) by Momoi Hachirozaemon Naoyoshi and has roots in the Toda, Itto, Yagyu and Horiuchi Ryu. Momoi Shunzo Naoichi taught at the Kobusho military school. (f. 1854)

The Tamiya Ryu is a school founded by Tamiya Heibei Shigamasa who was born in the later part of the 1500s. He was a student of Hayashizaki Shiganobu Jinsuke and is accepted as the second headmaster of the Muso Jikiden Iaido lineage. From the Tamiya Ryu came the Shin Tamiya Ryu which was involved in the Mito Anti-Bakufu movement.

The Tatsumi Ryu was founded in the early 1500s, before the birth of Hayashizaki and included Iai training in its curriculum. It predates the Muso Jikiden lineage.
    Regards

Neil

Likes (received)

Fascinating, what about the cinema? Did post occupation film enjoy the exemptions accorded actors during the Tokugawa sword hunts? I've read some material about film in this period that indicated exceptions were made. My research indicates Japan has always given wide latitude to actors. I've even gleaned a few nuggets of information in that regard from this forum.

I further had the distinct pleasure of collaborating in several Asian theater projects with the late Walter Fairservis, one of the first OSS officers in occupied Japan. (Lt. Fairservis and the jeep vs. Zen Buddhism is one of the funniest, untold stories of WWII.)Unfortunately, we never got to seriously discuss post war, Japanese martial arts and theater before he passed away.
    joe yang, the three edged sword of truth

"Not going to be fooled by you again Joe Yang's right you are evil and self-serving." Haiyomi

"Give my regards to joe yang. very intelligent man." Sojobow

Likes (received)

Default Source ?

Hey everybody,

First, I really want to thank Neil, that is some great research you have and it could be extremly helpful, I need but find the source. Anyone have any addiontional sources or come across that info. before ?

Anyone have more info. to add, not just about History (although that's what I'm concentrating on now), but suggestions, helpful hints or dunt dunt dun - secrets (huh Huh). Also, I know they are not sanctioned or anything, but I would like to try and find names for the 10.

Note : I don't want to change anything in the ZNKR, I just want to find a way of helping myself remember a little easier, like saying Ipponme Mai and knowing I'm doing Seitei 1st tech. which means cut ... yadda yadda

Something like Ipponme -Jodan HiSuburi, Nihonme Sayu Kote, etc.
    I'm just looking for suggestions that describe the basic action.

Thanks in advance and if anyone gets a line on that source of Neils, let us both know. Later

Michael Castellani

Likes (received)

Mike,

Thanks for your e-mail; sorry I've not had the time to answer before now (so I'll do so since I have time to access the forum during lunch today).

The source I have is:

Rikugun Toyama Gakko. [1935] 1941. Kenjutsu Kyohan Shokai [A Detailed Fencing Manual]. Tokyo: Rikugun Toyama Gakko.

The 1941 date is the reprint of the 1935 printing -- which included information from earlier printings; instead of rewriting the entire manual, they just added updates and notes, etc.

On page 499 it gives the history of Keishicho Ryu saying that Sakakibara Kenkichi (a famous Jikishin Ryu master) and other masters formed the kata in Meiji 1 (1868) to be used in police related matters. The kata are as Neil Hawkins explained.

One thing the manual does expand upon is a ryu name: Kata #3 "Hachitengiri" -- is listed as Tsusumi Hozan Ryu. And a provenance is not given for #6~#10; so it was good news for me to read Neil's post (Thanks, Neil!).

The manual also gives a descriptive of the Imperial Japanese Kendo Kata.

I have another book at home about the modern kendo kata, published by Kendo Nippon's house. The back of the book lists the "father" and "grandfather" forms (my wording, not theirs) of the Keishicho Ryu and Nippon Kokutei Kendo Kata [Imperial Japanese Kendo Forms]. They may be related to the modern Zen Nihon Kendo Renmei Kata; however, a scholar will have to read through it to see if any of the kata are actually borrowed.

If you wish, email your surface address to me and I will copy the pertinent Toyama manual and the Kendo Nippon sections.

Cheers,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Post Keishicho Kata

Mike,

Here's what I translated -- slightly updated now with Neil's information added.
    =======
    "Keishicho Ryu was established in Meiji Gannen (1868) by kendo shihan Sakakibara Kenkichi, Kajigawa Yoshimasa, Tokuno Kaishiro [and others]. Developed from other existing ryuha techniques and trained for police-related work (p.499)."

[From here on, my notes are in square brackets], original notes in (parentheses)

1. Hasso. (Uchi[tachi] is gedan; Shi[tachi] is right side jodan) (From Jiki Shin Kage Ryu).

[I'll not translate the entire description; it's too long.]

2. Henka [Variation]. (Uchi is jodan; Shi is chudan (seigan) (From Kurama Ryu).

3. Hachiten Giri [8 Heaven Cut or Cutting Heaven Into 8 Pieces.] (Uchi is chudan; Shi is chudan) (From Tsusumi Hozan Ryu).

[Originally, I thought the kanji read "Yatten Giri."]

4. Maki Otoshi [Rolling Down] (Uchi is jodan; Shi is Ichimonji) (From Risshin Ryu).

5. Kadan no Tsuki [Lower Thrust]. (Uchi is chudan; Shi is gedan) (From Hokushin Itto Ryu).

6. A-Un.
    [Provenance not cited. No description of kamae; doesn't explain from which ryuha it was culled. Does go into long explanation of shitachi/uchitach movements, though. I originally thought the name was "A-kyo": A-bi-kyo-kan, which is listed in Nelson's as "2 of Buddhism's hells." I thought "A-Kyo" might have been an abbreviation.]

7. Ichi Ni (no) Tachi [First and Second Strike]. [Provenance not cited. Same as #6 -- no explanation. Later in text it appears both move towards each other in seigan no kamae.]

8. Uchi Otoshi [Striking Down].
    [Provenance not cited. Later in text shitachi is moving forward, raising the sword so that the blade-edge is on a diagonal; uchitachi is in wakigamae].

9. Hachiku [Splitting Bamboo]. [Listed as "Hasetsu" by Keith, although I just cannot get a "setsu" reading from bamboo; only "Chiku/take.] ??? maybe "hattake"????
    [Provenance not cited. Later in text, shitachi steps out in jodan; uchitachi steps forward from jodan, coming to seigan].

10. Kurai Zume [Tight Situation]. [Provenance not cited. Looks like both uchitachi and shitachi are in seigan???]
    =========

Hope this is helpful.

--Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Guy,

Thank you for the extra info on the source. I checked back through my stuff and have three different but very similar versions of the same info, I would think from the same source but with different people translating.

The reason I have it is of course the reference to Tsutsumi Hozan, are there any further references to the school in the book? Or perhaps a detailed description of the kata? I am trying to relate it back to other sources that list our schools traditional Koryu curriculumn.

Thanks

Neil

Likes (received)

Default Kendo Kata Standard ?

Hey Folks,

Again I would like to thank everybody for their posts, the info. has been extremely helpful. I still have a few questions and was looking for some helpful hints.

Some of the basic info. seems to state that the kata was developed to have some standard concepts that needed to be expressed and studied by everyone. Yet, there is some variance in some of the kata's.

Additionally, if the kendo kata was developed to be standard, why did they develop additional standard forms for other curriculmns. For ex. the Keishi Tech. (sp?) that are practiced by the police, I mean if the majority of officer's practice kendo then why are we adding tech. just for them and not for kendo ?

Also, I know the kendo kata has gone through some changes, but the Seitei Iai add kata, why hasn't the kendo kata ? Anyone ? Or am I just an idiot. (don't answer)

Later
    Michael Castellani

Likes (received)

I think what must be understood is the fact that the ZNKR is not some major organization with the top Sensei sitting in some big office. The last time I visited Kitanomaru Koen they were stuck in a a tiny basement room stacked to the roof with files. ZNKR is locally run. Each prefecture has its own small office with a secretary and chairman.Big commitee meetings are held in various places. By pure coincidence the next one is in the meeting room above my head on the next floor.

Changes or additions is a major operation for the ZNKR. They have to delgate teachers to travel the length of Japan and organize and arrange that all yudansha should attend.

The last one I attended there was a question time after certain explanations. Its all by the book. Bearing this in mind the general answer to all questions is, "If its not in the manual it doesnt count.

In all its a difficult process converting known old techniques into a sogo budo system. The main reason forms were initially added to Seitei was there were not enough standing Kata.

In Japan sadly Kata is something you do a few days before a grading and in most cases on the day of the grading in the car park while you are waiting for your turn to take the test. The problem here is not so much making additions but getting them to do the ones that already exist.

Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Default Not quite suggesting change

Hello everybody,

Sorry I didn't respond back to the last post sooner, I just have been extremely busy. As a reply, I'm not suggesting we change the whole kendo no kata to accomodate me. What I was suggesting was little devices that can help me associate the kata better in my mind. One of the other members of my club has developed ways to help her remember what is going on, it's not that they don't work for me, I'm just suggesting maybe we can help others by putting out ways some of us help ourselves remember what's what.

For ex. one of the ways others remember 4 is that Shi starts in Waki which is kinda shaped like a four. Myself, I just seem to be able to keep them straight in my mind (maybe because I try to practice them 2-3 times a week), but I'm suggesting these little devices or basic descriptions for others. Maybe we can put together a set of basic sayings or instructions that can help us remember better.

I'll post some of the ones others use in my club.

Thanks again
    Michael Castellani