Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aikijujutsu in Florida?

Michael Morning Guest

Default Aikijujutsu in Florida?

Quick question:

Does anyone have any information about an Aikijujutsu school in Fort Lauderdale, FL? My wife and I are moving down there in just under one month (Dec. 1st) and happened to look up martial arts schools. All I have for the school is a phone number that came out of an online Yellow Pages listing.

Anyone know anything about this school, the instructor, etc.? Bear in mind that we would be new to studying Aikijujutsu, though we've been interested in it for some time (in addition to our ninpo training).

I'll be checking it out for myself once we've moved, but I thought I'd do a little checking in the meantime. All information greatly appreciated!

All the best,

-Michael A. Morning

Likes (received)

Default schools in fort lauderdale

I am currently a student of hapkido but i like visting and seeing other styles and would like to expand my knowledge base. does anyone know of an aiki school or aikido school in the area that they might recommend for me to observe. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you. jim carney

Likes (received)

Default Dojo in Ft. Lauderdale area

Jim,

Not sure just where you are located but do a check on the Aikiweb and other sites for dojo listings. There are some good folks in Ft. Lauderdale. Probably the best is Peter Bernath, 6th dan, one of Yamada Sensei's students, US Aikido Federation.
    Florida Aikikai
    730 N Federal Hwy; Ft Lauderdale FL
    PO box 684, Dania, FL 33004
    (954) 981-4828
    Peter Bernath, 6th dan; Penny Bernath, 4th dan
    E-mail: pbernath@safari.net
    URL: http://www.floridaaikikai.com
    (954) 981-4824
    info@floridaaikikai.com

If you want Iwama style there is AIKIDO OF SOUTH FLORIDA
    Stephanie B Yap
    2028 Hollywood Blvd
    East Bay, Hollywood, FL 33020
    (954) 929-2656
    aikidosf@aikidosouthflorida.com
    www.aikidosouthflorida.com

Finally, there are several good dojo in the north Dade County and Miami area if that is more convenient. Please, please, please, visit several dojo before you make any decisions. Peter and Penny are good folks. Ms. Yap I do not know personally, but I was at a couple of seminars where she attended. She would not work out with me, but only with her own students. I was not impressed with either her techniques nor her attitude. She does, however, teach weapons, although she looked very stiff to me. There are some folks in the south Florida area to stay away from. Not to stereotype, but they are mostly macho type cubanos who I do not consider to hold legitimate ranks.

FWIW, I am not a member of the Aikido Federation, but they are the largest group in Florida. Don't know of any legitimate AJJ groups in the state.

Good luck.
    Ian McDonald
    Ichi go, ichi e
    The swamps are good along the WeekiWachee

Quintin Guest

Dear Jim...If you are interested in aiki-jujutsu in Florida, maybe you can contact David Walter...I dont know how far it is between you two, but you can see his web-page at http://web.tampabay.rr.com/dwalter/takuma-kai/ OR you can find it via the LINKS on the Daitoryu Takumakai's web-page...I think you'll find the cross-training with Hapkido kind of similar, but definitely interesting and worth a look... Hope it helps...Quintin

Likes (received)

Default thank you

Thank you both for the information. i am going to check that out. i appreciate the help and guidance.
    Jim Carney

Likes (received)

Question AJJ in South Florida

Hello I'm wondering if anyone knows of a school or instructor who teaches Aikijujutsu in South Florida. Thanks in advance to those who reply.

Likes (received)

Ronin,

Please follow the rules that you agreed to when creating an account here, and sign your posts with your full, real name (or configure your signature file).

I've merged your thread with the exisiting thread on Florida. I know Florida is a big state, but orthodox AJJ is not that well spread, so I'd like to keep responses consolidated. In many cases, it is still necessary to travel somewhat to get authentic training.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Default Daito-ryu in Miami

I can highly recommend Juan Ribot in the Miami area. Juan just returned from two weeks of special training with Kondo Sensei at the Daito-ryu Shimbukan in Tokyo. You can contact him by phone at 786-293-8668.
    Rick Fine
    Kim Soo Martial Arts
    Daito-ryu Study Group
    Austin, Texas

Likes (received)

Default Confirmation

I am a student of Sensei Ribot, and if you are looking for Daito Ryu, mainline, with a humble teacher that is highly skllfull, Sensei Ribot if more than qualified.

Gassho,

J. Alexander

Likes (received)

Default Daito-Ryu in/near Venice, Florida

I am spending the summer, maybe longer, in Venice, Florida. I was wondering if anybody knew any good schools in the area that would grant me mat time for a few months? I have some experience with Daito-Ryu, but nothing too comprehensive. I have been practicing a number of other arts for about 6 years.

Thanks!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Haftel
    I am spending the summer, maybe longer, in Venice, Florida. I was wondering if anybody knew any good schools in the area that would grant me mat time for a few months? I have some experience with Daito-Ryu, but nothing too comprehensive. I have been practicing a number of other arts for about 6 years.

Thanks!
    This link wasn't working when I just tried it, but it may get back up.

http://www.yagyu-ryu.org/

The practitioner/teacher is David Walter. He knows both Yagyu-ryu and DR (Takumakai.) I've trained with him. He's solid.

Good luck.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by don
    This link wasn't working when I just tried it, but it may get back up.

http://www.yagyu-ryu.org/

The practitioner/teacher is David Walter. He knows both Yagyu-ryu and DR (Takumakai.) I've trained with him. He's solid.

Good luck.
    Link is still down. But, thanks for the info.

Likes (received)

Hello.... I train with Walter Sensei

I am starting to do more and more DR.

Here is a link to a new site for us.

http://www.yamatoarts.com/

We do DR on Wednesday nights... but Walter Sensei is in Japan for the next
    few weeks.
    Richard J. Smith

Yamato Yagyu Kai

Likes (received)

Hello Kenshin Butsu. I live in Miami and contacted Sensei Ribot about classes. Just found out he is leaving Miami in May and going to the Hawaiian Islands. May I ask you if anyone is going to keep the Daito-ryu study group running or it will close out now that Sensei Ribot is leaving. I would appreciate any information you could provide.
    Best regards,

Gerardo Gonzalez

Likes (received)

Contact Josh Drachman at Aikido of Palm Beach County

He has a study group under the direction of Howard Popkin Sensei from Daito-ryu Roppokai.

Marc Abrams
    Dr. Marc Abrams
    www.aasbk.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast