Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Who is Your Role Model?

Kimpatsu Guest

Default Who is Your Role Model?

I'm posting this question here rather than in the Members' Lounge, although the subject material is borderline. Anyway, here goes:
    Who within MA, either living or dead, is your role model, and why?
    Post any reasons from the superficial (they've got awesome technique) to the deeply profound...
    I'm interested to see the responses.
    Oh, and Merry Christmas.
    :santa:

Likes (received)

Default Re: Who is Your Role Model?

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    Who within MA, either living or dead, is your role model, and why? Oh, and Merry Christmas.
    I like the story about Tsukahara Bokuden in the ferry. (Interesting he should be remembered chiefly for this, though, as he killed dozens of men in battle; kind of like Nobel being remembered for peace, rather than the pieces (of men) blown up with his invention, dynamite.

Kano Jigoro's marriage of budo and learning.

Tohei Koichi's forebearance is admirable. I'm thinking of how gentle he was to that stiff old coot from "Rendezvous with Adventure" who made him look so ridiculous, and also with that cocky wrestler who pulled some trick to pick him up during a ki demonstration.

Aikido's founder's humility, apologizing to the farmer (who was throwing clots of dung at him) for trespassing.

JKA's Ueki Masaaki for his impeccable management of karate classes and his courtesy as an individual (in stark contrast to his successor--sorry, don't ask.)

Boulder, Colorado's Ikeda Hiroshi: monstrously strong on the mat; a hard-working, unpretentious, and friendly individual off.

Rob Redmond of http://www.24fightingchickens.com/shotokan/index.html for playing Martin Luther with his 95 theses, hammer, and nail to the JKA.

DUANEBEVERIDGE Guest

Default Re: Who is Your Role Model?

Originally posted by Kimpatsu
    I'm posting this question here rather than in the Members' Lounge, although the subject material is borderline. Anyway, here goes:
    Who within MA, either living or dead, is your role model, and why?
    Post any reasons from the superficial (they've got awesome technique) to the deeply profound...
    I'm interested to see the responses.
    Oh, and Merry Christmas.
    MASAKI HATSUMI BECAUSE HE GAVE THE GIFT OF KNOWLEDGE TO THOSE WILLING AND ABLE TO LEARN EVEN THOUGH IT MAY HAVE BROKEN WITH TRADITION IN SOME PEOPLES VIEW,BUT IN MY OPINION HE INSURED THE SURVIVAL OF HIS FAMILY BY GIVING IT TO THE WORLD.
    RESPECTFULLY
    DUANE BEVERIDGE

Likes (received)

I'm most impressed by my sensei's sensei. Not only did he take up the courage to go to medical school in his 40s but he has spent much time in impoverished areas of India treating the sick and wounded, purely out of good will. And for his humility; it is said that he attained menkyo kaiden in Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu but he has never mentioned this whatsoever in his teaching. Even when his sensei in MJER and his sensei's sensei came to our school's national seminar he simply introduced them as very talented martial artists whom he met in Japan. (Others knew more, and talked later.) Yet through all of this and much more depth of spirit that his presence only hints at, he still remains a most unassuming and friendly guy, willing to talk to anyone and everyone about anything, and to take the time to help anyone in need.

That sounds a little conceited, since I have a 'ryu relationship' with him, but my opinion is still true. And rather than being an almost deific figure from history, he's just another human being in our times.
    James A. Crippen

Kimpatsu Guest

Default My Hero

Sorry, folks, I asked the question and started this thread, but didn't post my own answer.
    Quite naturally, it's So Doshin, the founder (Kaiso) of Shorinji Kempo. Without him, my life would have been very different.
    Merry Xmas to All!

Steel_Talon Guest

Robert Trias and Remy Presas

Kimpatsu Guest

Sorry, Steel Talon,
    I don't know who these people are. Can you clarify?
    Also, please note e-budo rules, and sign your posts with your full name.
    TIA,

Likes (received)

What a great question.

For me personally it would be Toshitsugu Takamatsu for his philosophy in living, and Stephen Hayes for his ability to translate what was thought to him into common day tactics - and his great success in giving so much to the MA communities.

-Tim Knight

Likes (received)

My main role model, " other than Jesus Christ," is my teacher of 35 yrs. Sensei Peter Urban. Innovator, philosophor, and embodyment of the teachings of Yamaguchi, Oyama and Kim Sensei's.

Taught us to live and die unafraid.

Leader of strong people.

Prototype of the American Sensei.
    Steven L. Malanoski

Likes (received)

Hi,

All people serve as my role models. If ever I can not find something worthy of learning and emulating from anyone I meet then I am only looking at them superficially.

If I had to narrow it to a single individual I would have to say Tsukahara Bokuden, my instructor, my grand father, or my father. While my dad has no experience with Asian martial arts he was a golden glove champion and a USMC combat vet at the end of the Korean War, and has inspired me and taught me more than anyone else.

will
    will szlemko
    Shoshin Ryu

Only Robinson Crusoe had his work done by Friday.

Likes (received)

One of my role models is Tesshu Yamaoka. He is the founder of the Muto Ryo (School of No-Sword). He lived during the turbulent times that saw the transition from Japan's feudal system to that of a nation-state.

Tesshu was also a very prolific and respected calligrapher. He is known to have produced a million pieces of work in his lifetime.

Tesshu was influenced by Zen teachings. Tesshu's calligraphy was often a means for him to earn money, but not for himself. Tesshu gave all of his money to those that were less fortunate. Because of Tesshu's generosity, he died in poverty.

The reason I chose Tesshu is because I too am a student of both swordsmanship (kenjutsu and iaido) and of shodo (calligraphy-lit. the Way of the brush). I draw great inspiration from Tesshu's generosity as well.

When I at the dojo, or practicing anywhere for that matter, and I think I cannot make another cut or perform another kata, I think about what it must have been like to train under Tesshu. Then I realize just how "easy" I have it today.
    Regards,
    Matthew Ash

dainippon99 Guest

pierre-auguste renoir

for pouring his heart into his art and making me think at greater heights