Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The taxonomy of psychomotor objectives

Likes (received)

Question The taxonomy of psychomotor objectives

Dear All

Gassho

It's been a while since I threw a hand grenade into the fray but I couldn't resist this one and I would hasten to clarify that it's meant to start dialogue, not a war.

For the past 6 weeks I've been on a very theory heavy teacher training course.

In order to relieve the boredom, and as a way of actually learning the subject matter, I've been applying the various theories and models to my Shorinji Kempo practise and instruction.

It's been postulated that there are 7 various levels of acquiring a physical skill explained as:

1. Perception (Attending to a stimulus)
    2. Set (Preparing for action)
    3. Guided Response (Responding with assistance)
    4. Mechanism (Responding through habit)
    5. Complex Response (Responding with a coordinated series of actions)
    6. Adaptation (Changing responses to fit new situations)
    7. Origination (Creating new actions)

Which I've compared and contrasted to Shu, Ha, Ri.

Your thoughts?

Secondly this same taxonomy states that we learn a motive skill best when It's instructed through 4 distinct cognitive stages.

Explanation, demonstration, imitation and pracise.

I am now aware that I, personally, have been missing the imitation stage out when teaching and intend to experiment with this new formula to examine the results.

I'll keep you posted.

But I would say that if we're seriously questioning about why we're not that successful at recruiting, training and retaining students, then we do need to analysise how we teach what we teach.

And Shorinji Kempo clearly falls into all 3 domains of learning including the psychomotor.

Hope you're not too bored.

Adrian
    (2 more days of hell to go!)
    A man with small testes should never get involved in a fight requiring cojones

Likes (received)

Ade,

Could you clarify on this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ade
    1. Perception (Attending to a stimulus)
    2. Set (Preparing for action)
    3. Guided Response (Responding with assistance)
    4. Mechanism (Responding through habit)
    5. Complex Response (Responding with a coordinated series of actions)
    6. Adaptation (Changing responses to fit new situations)
    7. Origination (Creating new actions)
    Perhaps referring to steps to, say, Gyaku Gote? Also, what do you think of these 7 steps with reference to Gyaku Gote?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ade
    Explanation, demonstration, imitation and pracise.
    EDIP: I've heard this method of teaching, too. It works well for teaching complex motor skill situations (i.e. surgery, but putting in intravenous fluid access too). Does anyone find that E and D meld into one? i.e:
    - Demonstration (fast).
    - Explanation (while demo-ing slow)
    - Demonstration (fast/semi-fast).
    JC McCrae

Likes (received)

Wink Confused yet?

Gassho

Look at page 3 on http://www.epsilonlearning.com/outcomes_taxonomy.pdf

If you look at the associated verbs for each stage you should see a signpost

Kesshu

Adrian

Likes (received)

Ade

I think i prefer shu ha ri (I can just about get my head round 3 concepts)

Seriously this would be a good topic for a black belt course, we need to look outside of our existing practice and benchmark other models and adopt them where there is a benefit.
    Steve Moore

Where there’s a will there’s a wont!

Likes (received)

Got it:

7. Origination = Ri

6. Adaptation = Ha

1-5 = Shu, i.e:

Complex response: Really knowing the techniques.
    Mechanism: Committing the techniques to memory (muscle and grey matter).
    Guided response: You have to think about the technique to get it to work. Practice, practice, practice!
    Set: Getting into the mindset to perform the technique, trying to imitate your Sensei. Copying requires thinking about copying every move in the technique separately.
    Perception: Being showed the technique.

Is this right or am I missing something. If so, please correct. If not, this is crap. It is interesting, but the document linked to doesn't present the information in an easily accessible way. If you're wading through 2 weeks of this stuff I feel a genuine pang of sympathy.

What do you think of it, Ade?

RE: EDIP; is this not told to Senseises in that big 'how-to-be-a-SK-sensei' book (I've forgotten the name) all branch-masters have? If not, it should be. My sensei didn't use the phrase EDIP, but more or less described the 4 stages when he told the Ikkyu how to demonstrate a technique.
    JC McCrae

Likes (received)

Default interesting...

If not, it should be. My sensei didn't use the phrase EDIP, but more or less described the 4 stages when he told the Ikkyu how to demonstrate a technique.
    Assuming this is referring to me, and just on the basis of probability it very likely is, I'm glad that something I've done measures up to some concept of best practice somewhere...

While I don't know how useful it is to just import stuff like this wholesesale (I've spent long enough in academia to be keenly aware that there can be a gulf between theorising best practice and best practice actually being, well, practiced), I do think it can be useful to look at what we do from external perspectives from time to time.

I once read an article (sorry, don't have copies or references) which had quite a sensible discussion of different learning 'types' - visual, verbal and kinaesthetic. While I suspect nobody embodies any ideal type in real life, this did help me think to realise why some students will want to have techniques describes to them in what seems to me inordinate detail (but then again, I'm biased towards learning kinaesthetically, so I would think that wouldn't I?)

Tony leith

Likes (received)

Lightbulb I will expand

Dear All

Gassho

I really do need to sit down and write an entire lesson on this and then post it on these pages.

Steve has hit the nail on the head, Jamie is some way towards understanding what I'm hoping to clarify.

We give little thought to our delivery style and it does NOT suit all learning styles, of which there are 4 and which we all fall into in some extent.

In summary here are brief descriptions of the four key stages/styles, which incidentally are directly mutually corresponding and overlaid.

'Having and Experience' Activists (style 1): 'here and now', gregarious, seek challenge and immediate experience, open-minded, bored with implementation.

'Reviewing the Experience' Reflectors (style 2): 'stand back', gather data, ponder and analyse, delay reaching conclusions, listen before speaking, thoughtful.

'Concluding from the Experience' Theorists (style 3): think things through in logical steps, assimilate disparate facts into coherent theories, rationally objective, reject subjectivity and flippancy.

'Planning the next steps' Pragmatists (style 4): seek and try out new ideas, practical, down-to-earth, enjoy problem solving and decision-making quickly, bored with long discussions.

There is arguably a strong similarity between the Honey and Mumford styles/stages and the corresponding Kolb learning styles:

Activist = Accommodating
    Reflector = Diverging
    Theorist = Assimilating
    Pragmatist = Converging

More on this can be found here

Most teachers teach according to their style, naturally, but this confuses students from other styles who will probably become frustrated and leave.

By writing lesson plans that were inclusive we would recruit and retain more kenshi and I think that we can all agree that would be a good thing.

Hints on another way of expressing something similar are here

I'm going to try and peersuade somebody let me teach some of this stuff to the black belts at the UTS and hopefully at a black belt course or summer camp as well.

Enjoy the confusion.

Adrian.

Likes (received)

Ade

That makes me an active theorist with reflective pragmatic tendancies

I know this is true because 'the voices' have told me so
    Steve Moore

Likes (received)

Wink Ahhhhhhhhhhh no

Steve

Gassho

The fact that you’ve mis-spelt "tendencies" and posted anyway strongly suggest activist as your main learning domain (as does your un-ironed gi!)

See you tomorrow for witty banter.

Adrian.

Likes (received)

Lightbulb Edip

Quote Originally Posted by jailess
    RE: EDIP; is this not told to Senseis in that big 'how-to-be-a-SK-sensei' book (I've forgotten the name) all branch-masters have? If not, it should be. My sensei didn't use the phrase EDIP, but more or less described the 4 stages when he told the Ikkyu how to demonstrate a technique.
    Jame

Gassho

It's been a 6 week course and I intend to go into EDIP at great length later.

Kesshu

Adrian

PS There is no 'how-to-be-a-SK-sensei' book, we just make it up!

Likes (received)

Default Claim for supply of defective gi

Ade

When you sold me the gi you did not say that it needed ironing nor did the instructions supplied with it

I'll see you in court

Or we could come to some kind of out of court settlement i.e. you could iron my gi for me
    Steve Moore

Likes (received)

Default Methods and types

Gassho!

Well, this is one hell of an instructive thread!
    Two comments:
    1. I don't get how You missed out the imitation stage. To me that would be the repetition of demonstrated techniques by the Kenshi. I suppose You'll explain that to greater detail later on.
    2. I also have problems with the 4 types of learning. I can't really place myself into one category stronger than into the others. I know that I'm an audio-visual learning type in some regards, though.
    One thing is for sure: You gave me (and probably all of us) a lot to think about. Therefore Your time in hell definitely wasn't wasted!

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

A large part of my job is teaching psychomotor skills. When we teach we use a four stage technique:
    1. Demonstration of the skill without any explaination or commentary
    2. Demonstration of the skill with the addition of explaination and commentary
    3. Demonstration of the skill but with the student providing the explaination and commentary
    4. Repetitious practice of the skill by the students under the guidance of the instructor.

My experience of MA teachers in general is that they tend to skip stage 3 (probably because they have never been taught to use it).

When it works well the Four Stage Technique is very useful, but it is prone to coming off the rails at stage 3. You have to be selective about which student adds the explaination and commentary. Pick the wrong person and it can all go horribly wrong.
    Charles Hammond

Likes (received)

Wink So....

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hammond
    A large part of my job is teaching psychomotor skills. When we teach we use a four stage technique:
    1. Demonstration of the skill without any explaination or commentary
    2. Demonstration of the skill with the addition of explaination and commentary
    3. Demonstration of the skill but with the student providing the explaination and commentary
    4. Repetitious practice of the skill by the students under the guidance of the instructor.

My experience of MA teachers in general is that they tend to skip stage 3 (probably because they have never been taught to use it).

When it works well the Four Stage Technique is very useful, but it is prone to coming off the rails at stage 3. You have to be selective about which student adds the explaination and commentary. Pick the wrong person and it can all go horribly wrong.
    Which learning style do you think that addresses then?

Likes (received)

I believe the technique was heavily influenced by Kolb and was designed to address all of his styles by presenting in a short period of time a variety of different approaches that all teach the same thing.
    Charles Hammond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast