Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Aikijujutsu in New York

Marc Stowe Guest

Default Aikijujutsu in New York

There is a Daito-ryu aiki-jujutsu Takumakai study group forming in the New York City area (Manhattan specifically), under the direction and supervision of Kawabe sensei, and Umei sensei in Japan. We are, at this point, just a couple of students working out together, and one of us is at least half-way to Shodan. Please note ===> we are only a study group at this point, not a dojo, although both sensei in Japan are interested in visiting us from time to time (& vice-versa). Currently we meet only on Saturdays (2:00pm) and we're planning on adding an hour Wednesday evenings. If anyone is interested, please contact Rodrigo Kong (917)548-9989 for more details. Thank you,

Marc Stowe

Your best?
    Losers always whine about their best.
    Winners go home and F#+* the prom queen!
    -Sean Connery

Likes (received)

Hi Marc,

It is great that we have a new study group in Takumakai!

Many Takukumakai top teachers will visit us this year: Mori, Kawabe, Amatsu, Umei and some 3 and 4 dan students. We have two training camps in spring one in summer and one in autumn. These training camps are for members only. Care to join us in Helsinki? email me for details.

Please, send my best wishes to Rodrigo.

Jyrki Rytilä
    Takumakai, Helsinki
    jyrki.rytila@shh.fi
    Jyrki Rytilä
    Shibucho, Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Takumakai
    Helsinki, Finland
    jyrki.rytila@daitoryu.fi

Likes (received)

Mr. Stowe,

Congratulations! That's great to hear. Good luck with your group, and please keep us updated on your progress and activities.

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Marc Stowe Guest

Exclamation NYC Takumakai Addendum

Thanks to all who recently replied to my original post and expressed their best wishes for our group's success. And Jyrki, please keep me informed of any future seminars.
    Rodrigo contacted me and asked me clarify something in my original post so as not to create any misunderstanding;

The NYC Takumakai study group is NOT an officially sanctioned dokoukai at this point, i.e., we are not yet considered to be an official study group. Having said that, Rodrigo did want me to point out that he is only one kyu away from being elligible for dokoukai status, and both Umei sensei and Kawabe sensei are aware of our existence.

wizard Guest

Talking

May I inquire which member of the Takumakai gave the members ofthe NYC group their instruction?

wizard

Likes (received)

Mr. Wizard,
    You would be more likely to get a response if you used your real name as require by the e-budo rules. Unless Wizard is your real full name and it's a Cher, Madonna kinda thing.

mark
    Last edited by Mark Jakabcsin; 22nd February 2001 at 20:26.

Likes (received)

Hello Mr. Wizard,

Welcome to E-budo! Please sign all posts with your real, full name per forum policy. This can be configured in the "signature" section of your user profile.

Thanks,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

Rodrigo Guest

Lightbulb

Mr. Wizard,

Greetings. My name is Rodrigo Kong. I am honored to be a student of Kawabe Sensei and Umei Sensei of the Takumakai. They are both extraordinary teachers.

Rodrigo

Ville J. Guest

Default A question to Mr. Rytilä...

Hi!

As you can see from my name I'm also from Finland. I would like to ask you questions about Daito-ryu Takumakai. Have you practised any other styles, especially the ones that are dominant in Finland? If you have, what are the main differences compared to Daito-ryu? I practise hokuto-ryu(beginner), but I'm very interested in these traditional styles.

Ville Janatuinen
    Last edited by Ville J.; 7th March 2001 at 13:28.

Tenchi-Muyo Guest

HI,
    I am looking for a school in the NYC area. I goto college now and am looking to get into this art soon once my injuries heal but love to talk to people about it. I recently sprained my ankle and punctured my other foot in an acident but in a few months would like to get into the martial arts.

Likes (received)

Hello Mr. Tenchi-Muyo,

There are at least two qualified instructors in the NY area, and probably others that aren't coming to mind: Roy Goldberg Sensei (Daito ryu Aikijujutsu Kodokai) and Miguel Ibarra Sensei.

Ibarra Sensei has a web page for his art at:

Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu Yamabushi Kai

You may be able to find out more information about them or contact information by asking around or checking the yellow pages.

If your interested in contacting either of these instructors, PM me and I will forward your request to him.

I will need your full, real name per forum policy though, and return contact information.

Regards,
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 6th June 2001 at 00:17.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Hi,

As I recall, Goldberg sensei is well outside of the metro area, Rockland Co. I believe. Ibarra sensei is in the Bronx not far from two subway lines. There are a two of informal Daito ryu groups I know of in Manhattan proper. One is the Takumakai group whose contact info is listed in the "Takumakai study group in NYC" postings, the other rents space at Biwako Eizan ryu jujutsu dojo on St. Marks Pl.

Good Luck,

Gene McGloin

Tenchi-Muyo Guest

Default =)

Hi,
    I am interested in joining your group. I have a background in the martial arts but that was very long ago but very enthused and determined to learn. send me a pm so we can talk

Giovanni De Vincenzo

john rey saavedra Guest

Hello Mr. Tenchi Muyo,

The Ibarra's of Yamabushi Aiki Jujutsu can help you with your interest in Daito Ryu.

You can also open the website of Daito Ryu Rengokai, a fellowship of Daito Ryu Aiki Bujutsu practitioners in Cuba, in Ontario, Canada and in the other parts of the globe. And post your inquiry there. They may be of great help to you.

John Rey Saavedra

Tenchi-Muyo Guest

Talking response

Thanks to everyone who emailed me sorry I didn't get back to you have been very busy lately and still recovering from my injury. Just recently had to get a shot in the ankle from al the water build up in there.

Looking foward to hitting the mat with some of you guys **Slam**

--Giovanni De Vincenzo

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast